E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > "OEM" Navigation

12-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #133
jitinmistry
Rep
Drives: 320D SE

I have been watching this post closely. This is a very nice unit that I would like to install.

I have found a helpful installation guide on Bimmian.com which seems very useful:

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page.../GPS/GPS9X.pdf

Last edited by jitinmistry; 12-17-2010 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #134
Tredvesone
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Good share Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #135
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
That said, if someone wants to install a hokey nav system that comes with a tiny screen and might come close to equalling the sound quality of the base BMW system, then that is their decision.

Id the unit cutesy? Yes. Would it be a great way to ad navigation? Sure. Does the quality (physical and audio) come near OE? Nope. Can it cause warranty issues? Possibly.
Do you have any base for these claims or they just your personal thoughts and opinions?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #136
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitinmistry View Post
I have been watching this post closely. This is a very nice unit that I would like to install.

I have found a helpful installation guide on Bimmian.com which seems very useful:

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page.../GPS/GPS9X.pdf
Awesome! Thank you....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #137
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
Do you have any base for these claims or they just your personal thoughts and opinions?
Sure do:

That said, if someone wants to install a hokey nav system that comes with a tiny screen Look at the size of the screen. Is it large? Is it small? It is small.

and might come close to equalling the sound quality of the base BMW system, then that is their decision. The last one of these I saw had buttons loose, SD inop and it sounded like a transistor radio - and that a new unit out of the box.

Does the quality (physical and audio) come near OE? Nope. See my comment above

Can it cause warranty issues? Possibly. I just explained that.

This is great in concept but lousy in execution. The folks that bought it haven't come back here to rave about the sound quality (they might now because they have to justify their purchase to themselves and to the community)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #138
jeffb325
Rep
Drives: BMW

I know about a 1000 E46 and E39 owners who might disagree with you.....but to each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #139
script
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Its all at a price point!

If there were to be warranty issues anyone with half a brain would swap out and return the original unit,you have to if you retro fit CIC!

Lets not get carried away,its aftermarket and lets face it,BMW nav at 6 times the price is a pile of crap anyway!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #140
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The other thing that is missing in this convo is the fact that the software is upgradable. I remember our 08 335i had the old style navi, our 09 135i had the new iDrive. We were amazed at how much better the 09 iDrive was compared with the clunky DVD based system. We wanted to upgrade the 335i but it couldn't be done without significant hardware change.

This Dynavin unit is much more flexible and offers a number of features that you simply can't get with the OE navi.

This is not designed to be a replacement for the OE iDrive navi, if you have that, then there is no reason to go with Dynavin. If you have a standard non-Navi headunit, the Dynavin system is light years ahead in terms of features, functionality and of course looks. For a plug and play system, this is about as OE as it gets for aftermarket integration.

I am unbelievably impressed with Dynavin's fit and finish and would not hesitate to put this on my own car as a replacement for the outdated and functionless orange lit headunit.

Certainly there are drawbacks to replacing the OE headunit but the amount gained (navigation, bluetooth, upgradable maps, ipod integration, USB stick integration, touch screen, clean interface) is MORE than worth it IMO. I see no reason why you would not do it given the number of pros.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #141
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Sure do:

That said, if someone wants to install a hokey nav system that comes with a tiny screen Look at the size of the screen. Is it large? Is it small? It is small.

and might come close to equalling the sound quality of the base BMW system, then that is their decision. The last one of these I saw had buttons loose, SD inop and it sounded like a transistor radio - and that a new unit out of the box.

Does the quality (physical and audio) come near OE? Nope. See my comment above

Can it cause warranty issues? Possibly. I just explained that.

This is great in concept but lousy in execution. The folks that bought it haven't come back here to rave about the sound quality (they might now because they have to justify their purchase to themselves and to the community)
Can you fit a bigger screen in the dash opening there with buttons around it? If they could've fit a bigger screen they would've. I was referring to it being "hokey".

When was it you looked at a unit of theirs last? Maybe you didn't read the whole thread, but i even admitted previous versions such as the one in my Audi wasn't nearly as well rounded as this one. Come to think of it, my first gen iPod sucks compared to my touch, but you don't see me posting in threads about a touch saying how bad my "ipod" sucks based off the first gen?

Again you haven't see or used the e90 unit, so your conjecture really doesn't mean a damn thing, due to the fact its based off old oranges and you are comparing to new apples.

Damn near anything you do to your car that isn't purchased from BMW someone can argue that it voids warranty in any way shape or form. If people cared so much about this, this message board would be 1/4 as large as it would only contain information on BMW accessories.

Your statement of how the quality must suck since people are posting about is can be dis-proven in a heartbeat if you knew your facts. Dynavin only produced 100 of these for the WHOLE WORLD. Thus they were only sent out to a few people here and there for testing and verification they are what they should be. Full production is scheduled for January.

Take your conjectures elsewhere as they do not contribute anything of worth to the thread. Go see a unit in person, play with it, install it, do something before you start throwing things around based off faulty assumptions.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #142
Lafayette702
e92>e46
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

man I'm so pissed i didn't see this HU for the e46 BEFORE i cut all the insides out and after 2 weeks or major mods it fit lol... anyway love the idea of this HU and i also have a e92 now but before i purchase it i had a few questions..
( i looked on the e46 forums and couldn't find the answers)

1. on the pics i didnt see a remote conn for a external amp. does it have one?

2. i see that there is four versions of firmware. V1-4 you need to ground the brake lead but v-5 you dont.. what version firmware does the e9x version have?

3.i see that it controls the audio steering wheel controls.. but does the phone controls work?

if anyone can answer these THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #143
Sergio-K
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Can you fit a bigger screen in the dash opening there with buttons around it? If they could've fit a bigger screen they would've. I was referring to it being "hokey".

When was it you looked at a unit of theirs last? Maybe you didn't read the whole thread, but i even admitted previous versions such as the one in my Audi wasn't nearly as well rounded as this one. Come to think of it, my first gen iPod sucks compared to my touch, but you don't see me posting in threads about a touch saying how bad my "ipod" sucks based off the first gen?

Again you haven't see or used the e90 unit, so your conjecture really doesn't mean a damn thing, due to the fact its based off old oranges and you are comparing to new apples.

Damn near anything you do to your car that isn't purchased from BMW someone can argue that it voids warranty in any way shape or form. If people cared so much about this, this message board would be 1/4 as large as it would only contain information on BMW accessories.

Your statement of how the quality must suck since people are posting about is can be dis-proven in a heartbeat if you knew your facts. Dynavin only produced 100 of these for the WHOLE WORLD. Thus they were only sent out to a few people here and there for testing and verification they are what they should be. Full production is scheduled for January.

Take your conjectures elsewhere as they do not contribute anything of worth to the thread. Go see a unit in person, play with it, install it, do something before you start throwing things around based off faulty assumptions.
This
      12-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #144
Sergio-K
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette702 View Post
man I'm so pissed i didn't see this HU for the e46 BEFORE i cut all the insides out and after 2 weeks or major mods it fit lol... anyway love the idea of this HU and i also have a e92 now but before i purchase it i had a few questions..
( i looked on the e46 forums and couldn't find the answers)

1. on the pics i didnt see a remote conn for a external amp. does it have one?

2. i see that there is four versions of firmware. V1-4 you need to ground the brake lead but v-5 you dont.. what version firmware does the e9x version have?

3.i see that it controls the audio steering wheel controls.. but does the phone controls work?

if anyone can answer these THANKS!
1. Yes (There is a cable named AMP CON for connecting external amp.)

2. V1-5

3.Haven't installed it yet so i can't answer that.
      12-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #145
Lafayette702
e92>e46
United_States
Rep

thanks sergio .. one more question i asked the guys from Jlevi SW and they said you had to order the relocation for the seat heaters.... but bimmernavi says it comes with it stock.. did yours come with it ??
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #146
Sergio-K
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep

Quote:
thanks sergio .. one more question i asked the guys from Jlevi SW and they said you had to order the relocation for the seat heaters.... but bimmernavi says it comes with it stock.. did yours come with it ??
Yes the package included the seat heaters relocation unit with the ashtray.
Though they have it only in ALU finish. (They said they're going to produce wood, CF and some other BMW trims by January).

What is extra is the rear camera, the DVB-T tuner and the USB Modem.
Everything else you shouldn't be charged with.
      12-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #147
script
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Most of the latest Dynavin range have DVB-T tuners built in,wonder why they chose not to on the BMW unit??
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #148
Lafayette702
e92>e46
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio-K View Post
Yes the package included the seat heaters relocation unit with the ashtray.
Though they have it only in ALU finish. (They said they're going to produce wood, CF and some other BMW trims by January).

What is extra is the rear camera, the DVB-T tuner and the USB Modem.
Everything else you shouldn't be charged with.
man Jlevi SW said you gotta pay $65 bucks for the seat heater relocation!!! where did you order yours ?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #149
Sergio-K
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep

Quote:
man Jlevi SW said you gotta pay $65 bucks for the seat heater relocation!!! where did you order yours ?
I ordered mine from Dynavin Greece http://www.dynavin.gr/

I don't know if you have Dynavin in US but for sure there are many resellers you can quote for price.
      12-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #150
Lafayette702
e92>e46
United_States
Rep

thanks again man!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #151
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Yes the unit should come with the seat heater relocation. Sounds like they are trying to make a quick buck! They have them in Aluminum and Black right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #152
Lafayette702
e92>e46
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes the unit should come with the seat heater relocation. Sounds like they are trying to make a quick buck! They have them in Aluminum and Black right now.
i figured that thanks man. where did you order yours?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #153
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i figured that thanks man. where did you order yours?
Got mine from CarAudioCraze. Quick google will give you their site, i dont want to post since its not a sponsor.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #154
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Got mine from CarAudioCraze. Quick google will give you their site, i dont want to post since its not a sponsor.
Do you know if the existing ashtray or sunglass holder would be fully functional and accessible with the way the bottom of the trim piece sticks out?

I have the sunglass holder housing a sirius receiver and would prefer to keep this setup if I installed the Dynavin unit. Unfortunately I don't have seat heaters and the only lower button option I have is the down hill control, which I find quite useless. I would consider leaving this button behind the radio.
Appreciate 0