E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 330i Carbon Del, PE & AA tune power gains?

01-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
E90 330i Carbon Del, PE & AA tune power gains?

Gentlemen:

I would like to know how much of a power gain I can expect to HONESTLY see with the following combination of mods:

-Carbon filter delete with K&N filter drop in
-BMW Performance exhaust (just the tip not a full header back system)
-Then an AA tune

Reading all the forums posts this seems like the cheapest and easiest way of adding noticeable power to the 330i. Would I be unrealistic to expect another 20HP with these 3 mods? If anyone has some first hand experience and some dyno test to back it up that would be great. Ultimately my goal is more power but I want to do it in the most cost effective way.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Well, I have a similar setup on my 325i. I got BMW Perf. Intake, dinan exhaust, AA tune, and 3-stage manifold swap. I got 30whp and 40 ft-lbs of torque and I have 150k mi on my car. You already have a 330i so I would guess about 15whp. Adding a dinan style intake would also help a little.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Anyone else wanna add something?? There must be more than one dude who has done a similar combination of mods that can help shed some light?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
clean3
I just had sex.
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Anyone else wanna add something?? There must be more than one dude who has done a similar combination of mods that can help shed some light?!?!
save your money and get the MMW s/c when Gavin releases it!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

not sure honestly
if the change in hp is really important, you should dyno it and compare to a stock car
but those mods should afford you a solid 10 hp maybe a bit more

I have a gruppe m rep intake, meistershaft exhaust, Eisenmann SR midpipes + secondary cat delete, and BMS powerbox on my car, and while it sounds a hell of a lot better than stock, my butt dyno tells me that the power increase is minimal at best...
does your car feel significantly faster with your mods?
numbers are fun to play around with on the forum, but the primary gain with the mods is how the car feels to you
unless you dyno your car you never really know exactly what your combination is yeilding but if the car feels better and you got your money's worth, it doesnt really matter in my opinion

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLakers91tc View Post
not sure honestly
if the change in hp is really important, you should dyno it and compare to a stock car
but those mods should afford you a solid 10 hp maybe a bit more

I have a gruppe m rep intake, meistershaft exhaust, Eisenmann SR midpipes + secondary cat delete, and BMS powerbox on my car, and while it sounds a hell of a lot better than stock, my butt dyno tells me that the power increase is minimal at best...
does your car feel significantly faster with your mods?
numbers are fun to play around with on the forum, but the primary gain with the mods is how the car feels to you
unless you dyno your car you never really know exactly what your combination is yeilding but if the car feels better and you got your money's worth, it doesnt really matter in my opinion
I am surprised no one has actually dyno'd this combination of mods because as far as I am concerned it is the cheapest way of adding more power. The AA webpage is claiming approximately a 10 gain with just the AA tune alone. I figured if you let the intake and exhaust breath a little better, combined with the remapped AA ECU (flashed to take into considerations the mods) 20 hp wouldn't be that unrealistic. I havn't done any of the mods yet (just too damned cold to work on your car!) but depending on what it costs to do a dyno test I would be interested in finding out first hand.

Aside,
I have read that the BMS powerbox over time eventually is "figured out" by our cars ECU and essentially cancels out the gain initially seen by the box install. Could it be possible this is why you don't feel much of a gain now? Or just used to it?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
I am surprised no one has actually dyno'd this combination of mods because as far as I am concerned it is the cheapest way of adding more power.
By no means is a BMW PE cheap -- and they're also not sold as just the muffler, unless it's the Euro-spec version. The US-spec BMW PE comes as a full catback system, but I can't speak for what you get in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
By no means is a BMW PE cheap -- and they're also not sold as just the muffler, unless it's the Euro-spec version. The US-spec BMW PE comes as a full catback system, but I can't speak for what you get in Canada.
The US spec PE is identical to the one available to Canada, It is a full cat-back system. You are correct though, it is far from cheap....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
The US spec PE is identical to the one available to Canada, It is a full cat-back system. You are correct though, it is far from cheap....
Mine was $895 usd from a dealer in NJ.

It sounds so good that I crack my sunroof up even when it's cold out just to hear it.
      02-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Mine was $895 usd from a dealer in NJ.

It sounds so good that I crack my sunroof up even when it's cold out just to hear it.
haha I do the same thing! just with my MMW CS. especially since I got the 2nd cat delete... its so nice.
      02-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #11
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am surprised no one has actually dyno'd this combination of mods because as far as I am concerned it is the cheapest way of adding more power. The AA webpage is claiming approximately a 10 gain with just the AA tune alone. I figured if you let the intake and exhaust breath a little better, combined with the remapped AA ECU (flashed to take into considerations the mods) 20 hp wouldn't be that unrealistic. I havn't done any of the mods yet (just too damned cold to work on your car!) but depending on what it costs to do a dyno test I would be interested in finding out first hand.

Aside,
I have read that the BMS powerbox over time eventually is "figured out" by our cars ECU and essentially cancels out the gain initially seen by the box install. Could it be possible this is why you don't feel much of a gain now? Or just used to it?
It seems like 20 would be realistic, but again, there is little eveidence around, partially since most people dont want to blow the ~100 to do dynos if they are gaining so little power, and if they are trying to save money on the mods anyway.

And yeah I heard that about the powerbox, and I reset it occasionally, but to be honest, I don't feel the difference after it is reset, or between map 3 and map 6 which are both 100% throttle remap, but one has "performance" tuning on, one has it off
the throttle remap is the only reason why i haven't sold it yet, or for power, it isn't the best route to take

Nevertheless, if you would be so kind as to do a before and after dyno, this would provide quite a bit of very useful information to the few 330 owners on here

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep

I am going to get the AA tune very soon. There is a dyno place in the area, but I have no idea how much it is. If its not that expensive, I will do a before and after dyno. However, if its pretty pricey, I may just do an after dyno. That way at least we can see how much power we would have. And then guesstimate from the ~255 hp stock.

I know thats not too helpful, but its something. I will keep everyone posted. If I had the money, I would have done a stock run, then a new dyno each mod. Unfortunately money doesnt grow on trees though. or does it?
      02-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlew View Post
I am going to get the AA tune very soon. There is a dyno place in the area, but I have no idea how much it is. If its not that expensive, I will do a before and after dyno. However, if its pretty pricey, I may just do an after dyno. That way at least we can see how much power we would have. And then guesstimate from the ~255 hp stock.

I know thats not too helpful, but its something. I will keep everyone posted. If I had the money, I would have done a stock run, then a new dyno each mod. Unfortunately money doesnt grow on trees though. or does it?
That's exactly the situation I am in
If I had 50-100 bucks to throw at the dyno after every mod, I would, but since I don't, and this car only has minimal gains anyway, I rely on how much better the mod makes the car feel to me

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

You can check out the OE Tuning flash....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep

If they would ever come out with the EZ flash module it would be one thing...but the AA is a lot smoother. and can be done 30 min away from me instead of sending my ECU in.