E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > HELP! Scratched E90 lenses!! HELP! Scratched E90 lenses!!

02-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
The_Arcane
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

HELP! Scratched E90 lenses!! HELP! Scratched E90 lenses!!

So I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit because my headlights were a little bit foggy and I wanted to make the corners look like new. Unfortunately for me I royally screwed them up so much. I left tons of little scratches in the lenses and made them even more foggy. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do? Here are
before and after pictures and a close up picture of the before and after pictures and a close up picture of the View post on imgur.com
I left and no I don't have these reversed.

Please help! I don't know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
chuddism
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Wow dude. Did you follow the instructions step by step?

You may need to wet sand and polish, or probably take that to a detailer in your area and see what they can do
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

I posted this on your other thread in the general section:
Which 3M kit did you use? I used the one in the link below and it worked great. Took a little more than 2 hours to do both headlights. I took my time and did each step as directed. It sucked cause I did it by hand, but I was concerned to use a buffer or drill that I might push to hard. If you didn't use this kit may want to give it a try. It was pretty simple just took forever. I bought it at advanced auto.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=SPM5917939308
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

I freaked when I did mine cause I thought I screwed them up too. Not sure if this pic is gonna help but after the first pass with the 500 grit sandpaper this is what my passanger side looked like.

I meant to take more pics while doing this but I was running out of daylight so I got in a hurry. The drivers side headlight is finished. The passanger side is almost done with the first pass with the 500 grit sandpaper. It still needed a bit more on the bottom left. It looks like in your picture that you only did the part were the headlight was getting foggy. You have to do the entire headlight!

I would definitely go get another kit, take your time with each grit of sandpaper, and be prepared for your shoulders to hurt like a B%#CH after your done! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

posted in your other thread.

take your time with the 3m kit and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
csupernova
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

OP, no biggie. The first time I did on my headlight it came out just like your pic. Then I redo it again patiently. The most important thing is the wet sanding process. I did use a finer grit than what 3M provides for my last wet sanding process and the headlight came out clear like new. BTW, I used rotary to polish the headlight as the final step.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Arcane View Post
So I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit because my headlights were a little bit foggy and I wanted to make the corners look like new. Unfortunately for me I royally screwed them up so much. I left tons of little scratches in the lenses and made them even more foggy. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do? Here are
before and after pictures and a close up picture of the before and after pictures and a close up picture of the View post on imgur.com
I left and no I don't have these reversed.

Please help! I don't know what to do.
Hey just wondering of the outcome on your headlights. I used the turtle brand kind and now its kind of like yours. I did not like the results they look worst now...I am afraid I did not do it right....What did you end up using? Planning to use the 3M kit the guys recomend.
Appreciate 0