E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Help With Perplexing Problem...

03-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
sluggo1246
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi msport 6MT MPPSK

Hi Everyone,

I have an 09 335xi with FBO. I've replaced motor mounts, all suspension and axles (all within last 2k miles) and all fluids have been changing within last 15k. When I shift, I feel a vibration when the clutch is depressed and even after it is released as I move into the next year. It will linger for a few seconds and then go away not to reappear until the next shift. And sometimes, when I press on the clutch, the vibration will begin and stay no matter how long I am coasting in neutral.

I still have a few thousand miles on power train warranty so I took it to dealer. They can feel it but have no idea what it is. Transfer case is not throwing any codes and they specifically ruled out the clutch and DMFW. I knew it wasn't the clutch but wasn't sure what a warped flywheel would feel like. They told me to come back when the vibration is worse and then they might be able to find where it is coming from. They thought it could be the transfer case mount but from what I've seen on the forums, those who have replaced it almost always say it wasn't necessary (I have 106k). To be fair, the vibration isn't rattling my fillings but it is real and repeatable under the circumstances I described.

My plan is to run a flex camera and tape it near the transfer case so I can see the case and the driveshafts and then drive a bit...and see what happens. If it was the giubo, wouldn't that have been obvious when the dealer had it? There is zero vibration coming through the steering wheel and I can't feel it through the stick either if that helps anyone narrow this down.

I'm under a bit of a time crunch. I have about 4K miles left before warranty is up and I'd sure rather have this covered if I can help it, particularly if a new transfer case, front carrier or transmission/flywheel are involved.

Anyone experience anything similar? Thoughts on what this could be?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
eetadik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Noneya

Throw-out bearing?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo1246 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have an 09 335xi with FBO. I've replaced motor mounts, all suspension and axles (all within last 2k miles) and all fluids have been changing within last 15k. When I shift, I feel a vibration when the clutch is depressed and even after it is released as I move into the next year. It will linger for a few seconds and then go away not to reappear until the next shift. And sometimes, when I press on the clutch, the vibration will begin and stay no matter how long I am coasting in neutral.

I still have a few thousand miles on power train warranty so I took it to dealer. They can feel it but have no idea what it is. Transfer case is not throwing any codes and they specifically ruled out the clutch and DMFW. I knew it wasn't the clutch but wasn't sure what a warped flywheel would feel like. They told me to come back when the vibration is worse and then they might be able to find where it is coming from. They thought it could be the transfer case mount but from what I've seen on the forums, those who have replaced it almost always say it wasn't necessary (I have 106k). To be fair, the vibration isn't rattling my fillings but it is real and repeatable under the circumstances I described.

My plan is to run a flex camera and tape it near the transfer case so I can see the case and the driveshafts and then drive a bit...and see what happens. If it was the giubo, wouldn't that have been obvious when the dealer had it? There is zero vibration coming through the steering wheel and I can't feel it through the stick either if that helps anyone narrow this down.

I'm under a bit of a time crunch. I have about 4K miles left before warranty is up and I'd sure rather have this covered if I can help it, particularly if a new transfer case, front carrier or transmission/flywheel are involved.

Anyone experience anything similar? Thoughts on what this could be?
I have a pile of slop in my drivetrain so I’m interested to hear more. I’m doing a Koni yellow suspension upgrade soon, but I expect a lot of the issues are related to subframe,e bushings and possibly differential mounts.

I’ll be working through my 2008 328xi over the next 6 months trying to firm up all the slop.
Appreciate 0