E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Dealer is now doing carbon cleaning.

01-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #45
Roman-dude
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveN007 View Post
There is an art and a science to getting your car maintained.
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #46
daveN007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman-dude View Post
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."
In the real world, this is true.

I paid my way through college by going on TV gameshows, so I know that anything is possible.
      01-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #47
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad335d View Post

I'm currently having my Dad get this from his (http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel...#bg-product-13 and http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel...#bg-product-12) BG Rep so I can try it out on my car. I don't have the carbon issue yet but I prefer (assume you do too) to do preventative maintenance so I don't have problems down the road.
When I hit 50k, I started trying to find a local BG dealer with the equipment...no luck. How much does ts setup run if you don't mind me asking?

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #48
Brad335d
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Garage List
The BG distributor is supposed to be by my Father's shop Monday afternoon and he's going to ask the distributor about ordering the kit and the cleaner. I'll find out then and let you know.
-Not Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #49
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad335d View Post
I'm currently having my Dad get this from his (http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel...#bg-product-13 and http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel...#bg-product-12) BG Rep so I can try it out on my car. I don't have the carbon issue yet but I prefer (assume you do too) to do preventative maintenance so I don't have problems down the road.
Brad335d, when I read your post above I started to look into this option for cleaning of intake, EGR etc.. I went to the BG site to find a representative in my area only to be surprised by the results.

There is a BMW dealership 2hrs away that uses the induction cleaning system on their cars. They primarily have been using it on the gas turbo engines, but they also have used it on some diesels.

I was quoted $200cdn for the service. Nice to see that it has been used before on a BMW.
      02-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #50
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
Brad335d, when I read your post above I started to look into this option for cleaning of intake, EGR etc.. I went to the BG site to find a representative in my area only to be surprised by the results.

There is a BMW dealership 2hrs away that uses the induction cleaning system on their cars. They primarily have been using it on the gas turbo engines, but they also have used it on some diesels.

I was quoted $200cdn for the service. Nice to see that it has been used before on a BMW.
I'm gonna guess you live in Western Canada?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #51
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I'm gonna guess you live in Western Canada?
I do Greek. Not much out here, but there are a lot of diesel vehicles out west.
      02-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #52
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

damn it no one in Puerto Rico
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #53
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Read the entire DIESEL lineup plan to call them today
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #54
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Called the Miami distributor contacted the guy here in Puerto Rico and next will be the meeting woohoo, he told me that the local BMW dealer has been in contact with him he states that one of the mechanics had known of the product in the states so there might be some light at the end of the tunnel
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #55
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Called the Miami distributor contacted the guy here in Puerto Rico and next will be the meeting woohoo, he told me that the local BMW dealer has been in contact with him he states that one of the mechanics had known of the product in the states so there might be some light at the end of the tunnel
Hey PR,

I talked with Trent who is our local BG rep today to get a bit more information. His background is he is a Diesel Journeyman Mechanic and is now representing BG.

1) He figured the $200.00 I was quoted for the induction cleaning was a bit low considering the labour charge out rate of the dealership.

2) When the induction cleaning is performed, the car will need an oil change.

3) He mentioned another product which helps to keep the soot from getting into the oil which helps oil degradation so more oil stays in the engine instead of getting blown by through the PCV.

4) The oil additive system requires a flushing product which will also require an oil change when its complete.

5) Reason for the increased rate of carbon buildup is linked to our crappy diesel fuel and the fuel in Europe is many times better than anything we have here.

6) This is a problem for all diesels but I suspect ours is more sensitive due to the high performance nature of the BMW diesel.

7) Currently this problem is also being seen on gasoline engines with EGR, PCV and direct injection cars.

8) He did say that with our diesel quality that all diesel vehicles should be running a good fuel additive to improve the combustion and reduce the soot produced.

9) Removing the oil blow by will not get rid of the buildup since much of it comes from the EGR and the recirculated soot.

Looks like my plan is to do the cleaning around the time I need to get the oil changed as well the engine oil flush could be done at the same time, then change the oil and not worry about this for a couple of years.

Last edited by Vreimann; 02-04-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #56
BMW1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

5) Reason for the increased rate of carbon buildup is linked to our crappy diesel fuel and the fuel in Europe is many times better than anything we have here.

It would be interesting to get an idea if there is any regional variation of CBU.
e.g here in Texas minimum cetane is 48 for all diesel whereas in other states it may be down to 40. I know that cetane alone isn't the only indicator of diesel quality….but a regional breakdown might be interesting. Thoughts? I am at 32K and no issues…knock on wood --- I do use Power Service Diesel Kleen + cetane boost every 2-3 tanks.
2016 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #57
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Vreimann,

8) He did say that with our diesel quality that all diesel vehicles should be running a good fuel additive to improve the combustion and reduce the soot produced.

I think this is a good suggestion but BMW recommend against using any fuel additive. However, I should not listen to what BMW say. If they know more than us, they should have fixed all these problems long time ago? They are shooting in the dark!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #58
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Has anyone asked what this service will do to our DPF's? I know when you do a induction service on a gasser, there is often large amounts of smoke and other "stuff" that comes out the tail pipe. Would this have ill effects on our DPF?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #59
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW1983 View Post

It would be interesting to get an idea if there is any regional variation of CBU.
e.g here in Texas minimum cetane is 48 for all diesel whereas in other states it may be down to 40. .

I would love to fill up with 48 cetane fuel. Closest our best stuff gets is 44 in winter and 46 in summer, while somewhere in Germany you can fill with above 53 cetane. Almost think someone with a business background could make some money setting up a GTL plant to provide a premium diesel option in North America.
      02-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #60
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Has anyone asked what this service will do to our DPF's? I know when you do a induction service on a gasser, there is often large amounts of smoke and other "stuff" that comes out the tail pipe. Would this have ill effects on our DPF?
As I understand the chemicals used where selected as they do not adversely effect the DPF.
      02-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #61
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
Vreimann,

I think this is a good suggestion but BMW recommend against using any fuel additive. However, I should not listen to what BMW say. If they know more than us, they should have fixed all these problems long time ago? They are shooting in the dark!
Don't know about following all recommendations. If I had followed their recommendations, I don't know how long I would have driven without injector plugging. I had trouble driving my car down the city street until the car was fully warm last summer. I started using the additive, went on vacation to California and when I came back, the car was driving like new again.

With this particular winter I am having some idle vibration which I haven't figured out yet if it is temperature related or bad fuel, as it is working its way through and seeming to improve.
Temp right now as I get ready to go to work is -29C. I guess at least this is an easy way to keep the erg closed, but I really don't like the cold.
      02-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #62
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
As I understand the chemicals used where selected as they do not adversely effect the DPF.
I expect he meant essentially plugging the dpf by knocking everything out at once. I think it should be ok after time, but right after treatment you might find you get longer and more frequent regens.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #63
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Thanks V we will have a presentation soon at out CCA Chapter and I will ask him about it, again I use AMSOIL as my additive and so far so good running 38k
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #64
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
I expect he meant essentially plugging the dpf by knocking everything out at once. I think it should be ok after time, but right after treatment you might find you get longer and more frequent regens.
That could possibly be. At least when I get this done it is 2hours away so I can burn that crap out on the way home.
      02-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #65
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Thanks V we will have a presentation soon at out CCA Chapter and I will ask him about it, again I use AMSOIL as my additive and so far so good running 38k
No problem. I really could use some of your weather right now. It has been a particularly cold winter this year.

I see that Amsoil is also selling the LL-04 spec oil options. Have you been using their oil too?
      02-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #66
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Thanks for the info. I was concerned about the dpf getting to clogged to run a regen. Heres a good article though.
http://www.aftermarketonline.net/Tec...PF-fault-fixed
Appreciate 0