E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2007 318i intermittent starting

06-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
mmccr8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 318i

2007 318i intermittent starting

Had my 07 318i, with 92k on the clock, for nearly 2 years now and even with my very limited knowledge have always found the answer to any issues I have came across on these forums. The latest problem seems to be a bit of a mystery so I am hoping someone can take the time to give a bit of advice.

Around 2 weeks ago I was driving in very heavy rain and the engine cut out while on the road (not a pleasant experience). After a few minutes of panicking and several attempts, the engine started again. I drove on and the same thing happened again about 2 miles down the road. I called for recovery and by the time they arrived, the car started and drove with no problem and nothing showed up on the diagnostics or dash. The recovery guy put it down to driving through a puddle and some water getting where it shouldn't.

The car drove fine for a few days after then one morning it wouldn't start - turning over but the engine would not start. Went to work and when I got home that evening there was no change. Called recovery again and got it towed to a local mechanic (friend). Again there was nothing showing on diagnostics. I know he checked the fuel pump but not much info beyond that. The next day he went to look again and it started no problem. I went and collected it and drove it home. When I parked up, I tried to start again and was back to square one. Left it for a few hours and it started again. It drove no problem for a few days after that (on one occasion it didn't start first time but did on second attempt) but has now stopped and won't start again (in the driveway thankfully). It's been like that for a few days and after several attempts to start again, the ABS light has now came up on the dash also.

The local BMW indy is going on holiday and won't be able to look at it for a few weeks at least. Apologies for the long post, but wanted to get as much info in as possible. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I'm just crossing my fingers it will not be an expensive fix.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Have the B+ cable checked behind the fuse box as the connector can melt and cause all sorts of stalling and starting issues .
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #3
mmccr8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 318i

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Have gave the B+ cable a wiggle around a couple of times and still having the same problem. Looking online, the B+ issue seems to cause electrical failure. My electrics seem to be fine; central locking, radio, windows, lights are all working no problem. Any other suggestions? Thanks again for your help
Appreciate 0