E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

04-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #309
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Well the good news is according to BMW "they believe that less than 5% of BMW owners will experience a HPFP failure". I think they left the zero off of "50%"...
Either that, or about 5% of BMW owners own an N54 model...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #310
hoopvillian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bought an out of warranty 07 335i last week and this week it's in the shop. I got a killer deal on it because it had an occasional check engine light, and thanks to this forum I knew what the problem was soon as I started it up.

Dealer is doing software and HPFP at the same time. Didn't say I had to do software first.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #311
binaryagent
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport

Bought my 2008 335xi with just under 50k mi. Less than a week later I received the engine malfunction light and long crank. Took it in and it showed code 2FBC. They updated software and still tested bad. Then they replaced HPFP with 943 and told me "it's ready". I immediately race up to the dealership and the valet guy pulls up with my car and says, "Is it supposed to do this?" (engine malfunction light).

So now I'm waiting 'til Monday to find out what's next.

<Update (5/3)>
From my SA: "I was just told that the fuel pressures were off and they had to make a Puma case and will not know until tomorrow. The fuel pressures were not bad enough for use to make a decision as to why the vehicle is running the way it is. I am sorry it is taking a long time but BMW will not allow us to perform and type of repairs to the fuel system on the 335 unless we have all diagnostic codes and faults with read outs."

-Took them all day to figure that out. Ugh.

<Update (5/4)>
Still not ready. Low fuel pressure. New puma case filed. I think he said the cases go to New Jersey and the engineers there decide what to do next. Went down and talked to one of the service managers today. Just wanted to share my frustration and be a squeaky wheel. I tried to be as respectful as possible so hopefully I did more good than harm. My SA told me that for the 5 series they're still just replacing the fuel pump, no questions asked, and not having to jump through all these hoops that they're being forced to do with the 3 series. Tomorrow morning will be 8 days in the shop.

<Update (5/5)>
SA: "We found multiple faults in the system after the latest diagnosis, and we are still waiting to hear back from BMW. There are some unusual faults crank sensor, low fuel pressure not signal to DME and faults stored in the DME."

Called BMW NA. Apparently they can't do anything to help. Or so I was told. He basically said that he couldn't help the engineers to do their job. I asked for him to contact the warranty dept and ask them to push this one through by having the local dealer technician just replace the parts necessary and bypass having to file a puma case to get instructions on how to proceed. That went nowhere. 9th day tomorrow.

It's funny because the car was running perfectly except for two malfunction lights that cleared as soon as I restarted the engine. Now it seems that the whole fuel system is falling apart as they work on it.

<Update (5/6)>
No response on the puma case from New Jersey. Traded the Kia SUV they gave me to drive for a 128i loaner. That will help tremendously. I'm gonna try to trade that up tomorrow afternoon also.

<Update (5/8)>
Not sure the status of my car. I got a 2010 335i Sport loaner with basic options (mine has everything except adaptive cruise and window shades) so I'm fine with them taking their time fixing my car. It can sit idle while I put my regular commuting miles on the loaner.

<Update (5/11)>
Got a call from my SA yesterday: Bad Battery - Not enough volts at the fuel pump; one of the battery cells was out. Funny, it took them a week to figure that out. Guess they were too focused on the fuel system. They wanted over $500 for new OEM battery and to register the battery with the car. I found a MAXX-94R battery at Walmart for $75. I brought the battery to the dealership, picked up my car, and changed the battery in the parking lot. It had no codes when I picked it up and no codes after the new battery. I'm getting a BT Scan Tool to register the battery myself. If I don't update after this then all is well.

<Update (5/25)>
The problems continue. Check this thread for the continued saga: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390501

Last edited by binaryagent; 05-25-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #312
2008E90TT
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My car is not covered by warranty. Where can I purchase the HPFP at? (Preferably the new version). There's a DIY on YouTube for a 135i. Has anyone else replaced it personally?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #313
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008E90TT View Post
My car is not covered by warranty. Where can I purchase the HPFP at? (Preferably the new version). There's a DIY on YouTube for a 135i. Has anyone else replaced it personally?
the HPFP is covered under an extended warranty from BMW for 10 years / 120K miles. So unless you've driven the heck out of it, you are covered.

If you blew your warranty with mods, OTOH, then you can buy it from any BMW dealer or mail-order from Tischer.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #314
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What I think is astounding is to have someone tell you that we've updated your software which has not worked for a single customer, who are typically back in a few weeks. Sorry, but there are new procedures in place, we just can't replace faulty fuel pumps anymore like we used to. What kind of integrity does a person have with respect to their job when they do that? Pretty amazing. Again, I attribute BMW's incredibly strong brand image for the above to work. And the SA is a great guy because when he tells you the c*** he has a smile on his face.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #315
TheMirror
Rep
Drives: Golf Sportwagen, 500 Abarth

So after reading all this, I'm confused as to one question - are the new 943 pumps re-manufactured 881 units or are they entirely new? My pop has a 2009 335i and it almost certainly has an old 881 pump in it. I'm priming myself for the impending HPFP doom......
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #316
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMirror View Post
So after reading all this, I'm confused as to one question - are the new 943 pumps re-manufactured 881 units or are they entirely new? My pop has a 2009 335i and it almost certainly has an old 881 pump in it. I'm priming myself for the impending HPFP doom......
They are new, from a different maker.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #317
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Any word on the HPFP issue being fixed on the 2011s. I am talking about 328i Sedans specifically, as I am in the process of deciding whether to lease an MY10 or an MY11.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #318
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The N55 engine used in most of the 2011 x35i models is a DI engine with the same 943 HPFP as the earlier N54 models, however.
The N55 is an entirely new engine. Where have you seen any indication is uses the same HPFP?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #319
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

Update on my 2010 335xi

Car went in shop on Friday 4/30. They tested it for HPFP failure. After they verified that the pump couldn't hold pressure they followed the new protocol of "updating the software" and then re-testing the pressure.

My software was updated and the pump values were miraculously (sic) within specs. My SA called to let me know that BMW didn't want to give me the new pump since the HPFP values had come up into acceptable levels.

He added that he wanted to keep it overnight to see how it started the next morning. Sure enough he got long cranks again, checked the pressure and the HPFP was failing.

Then he was able to get approval from BMW to replace my pump with the "943" part.

The bottom line is that BMW has put new procedures in place to make the replacement of an HPFP a 2-step process, and to piss of the customer and make the SA look dumb when the car fails again if the HPFP was not replaced.

If your dealer tries to send you home withhout a new pump but with just the software update, I suggest that you strongly request the dealer hold the car and start it the following morning and then Re-test the HPFP in the hopes that the low pressure readings will then warrant them giving you the "943" pump.

Finally, I would like to ask anyone who has had the new 943 pump installed to let all of us know if/when the 943 pump fails. Because, to the best of my knowledge, I don't believe that any 943 pumps have failed so far.

Good luck to all.

Last edited by Cavman; 05-06-2010 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #320
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
Car went in shop on Friday 4/30. They tested it for HPFP failure. After they verified that the pump couldn't hold pressure they followed the new protocol of "updating the software" and then re-testing the pressure.

My software was updated and the pump values were miraculously (sic) within specs. My SA called to let me know that BMW didn't want to give me the new pump since the HPFP values had come up into acceptable levels.

He added that he wanted to keep it overnight to see how it started the next morning. Sure enough he got long cranks again, checked the pressure and the HPFP was failing.

Then he was able to get approval from BMW to replace my pump with the "943" part.

The bottom line is that BMW has put new procedures in place to make the replacement of an HPFP a 2-step process, and to piss of the customer and make the SA look dumb when the car fails again if the HPFP was not replaced.

If your dealer tries to send you home withhout a new pump but with just the software update, I suggest that you strongly request the dealer hold the car and start it the following morning and then Re-test the HPFP in the hopes that the low pressure readings will then warrant them giving you the "943" pump.

Finally, I would like to ask anyone who has had the new 943 pump installed to let all of us know if/when the 943 pump fails. Because, to the best of my knowledge, I don't believe that any 943 pumps have failed so far.

Good luck to all.
From what you're saying the dealer will replace the pump when they can reproduce the problem. Lately, we have seen more people posting that they went in and got the 943 pump.

IF the 943 pump is the solution, eventually we'll all be ok. The frustrating part is when the car first acts up, and after 3 trips to the dealership, they don't find anything.

I think you give the SA too much of a free pass--he's nothing more than a gatekeeper, like a secretary to a CEO. And he's working on commission.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #321
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Car went into the dealer this morning since the cranks have been getting worse each day, they told me that they are doing a software update and keeping the car overnight to see how it acts tomorrow. I really hope they replace the pump.

Here is a short vid I took with my iPhone the other day on a cold startup, you guys be the judge. View My Video

Last edited by ZJP; 05-06-2010 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #322
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Dropped my car off for the 5th visit this morning related to HPFP symptoms. I'm at 30k miles.

I'm on my third one now.

Idle's been rough, rpms bouncing around, and sometimes the car shudders almost to a stall. I lived with that for a while, but the last 10 days, I've been getting long cranks again.

Yippee.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #323
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Does HPFP fail on the 328i too? I see a lot of HPFP failure on 335i.

Sorry I am noob on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:46 AM   #324
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Dropped my car off for the 5th visit this morning related to HPFP symptoms. I'm at 30k miles.

I'm on my third one now.

Idle's been rough, rpms bouncing around, and sometimes the car shudders almost to a stall. I lived with that for a while, but the last 10 days, I've been getting long cranks again.

Yippee.
I truly feel there's not a lot we can do, and I feel your pain. My hope would be since you're on your 3rd pump, there is no BS at the dealership and they go right to a new pump immediately. With that being said, hopefully your 4th pump and new software means you never deal with this issue again--I don't think we have any proof that new software and new pump is the same old and you'll be back again. So maybe it will be the final fix.

As far as the visits go, it's not surprising to say after 3 visits, nothing has been done. That's the BMW way....if they built reliable cars, I think we could stomach that.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #325
zackday30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Carrera S, Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post

I'm on my third one now.

Yippee.
I'm on my third one now as well, lots of rpms bouncing and car shuddering...Had a couple of long cranks two weeks ago but it hasn't done it since...just a ticking time bomb if you ask me. Then I'll go in for #4! My buddy tells me I should lemon the car but I love it too much!
'06 Carrera S (Fun)
Sold: 08 E92 335, 07 X5
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #326
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Does HPFP fail on the 328i too? I see a lot of HPFP failure on 335i.

Sorry I am noob on this.
There is no HPFP on the 328i.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #327
bimmerstein
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1

I thought it would never happen to me because I've been pampering my 2008 since day one. At 26K KM the pump just died this morning with no warning whatsoever...It started right away but the engine sounded like it was choking crazy then died. An engine symbol (black & white) was shown on the instructment panel. The second start was the same. But the third time it ran normal and stay on. On the way to the dealership it acted up again at the traffic lights and was running very rough with no power. We finally made it to the dealership and the SA was able to reproduce the rough start after shutting the engine off. During the whole ordeal there was no engine light, codes, or anything.

The dealership could not look at it until Monday because no mechanic is working today. Hopefully it's the fuel pump not something else .

Last edited by bimmerstein; 05-08-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #328
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Sorry for your bad luck. I think when your car displays the half-engine icon, it also writes an error code to the stack, and the technician will be able to read the code on Monday. It is certainly inconvenient to run into a car problem at the beginning of a weekend - hopefully the dealer gave you a car to drive. If the N54 engine problems were not solved, BMW dealerships should be on 24/7 schedule.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #329
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstein View Post
I thought it would never happen to me because I've been pampering my 2008 since day one. At 26K KM the pump just died this morning with no warning whatsoever...It started right away but the engine sounded like it was choking crazy then died. An engine symbol (black & white) was shown on the instructment panel. The second start was the same. But the third time it ran normal and stay on. On the way to the dealership it acted up again at the traffic lights and was running very rough with no power. We finally made it to the dealership and the SA was able to reproduce the rough start after shutting the engine off. During the whole ordeal there was no engine light, codes, or anything.

The dealership could not look at it until Monday because no mechanic is working today. Hopefully it's the fuel pump not something else .
Do you mean there were never any lamps lit, after the first engine icon? You mean SA or tech was able to reproduce? At my dealership as it's been mentioned, the SA's are paper pushers, so a tech needs to see what's happening and duplicate it. I don't have the BT tool but from what I understand there should be shadow faults. The problem I see is that the dealership is instructed to clear those faults and see if they come back (rather than DUH act on the faults that are in there). This process necessitated me going back 3X for the same issue....good luck! I like the posts where people said they had a problem and left with the 943 pump and programming. I hope that's what happens here..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #330
bimmerstein
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1

No lamps except an engine icon after the engine died. The icon went away when it started normally the third time. The SA repeated the same and was able to get the engine icon at the third start. He too said some codes were stored and the mechanic should be able to read them.

We got a 323 loaner. My wife and I were quite pleased given that it was on a Saturday and they looked after us right away. The SA said they would know what happen by mid morning. We booked for the first appointment @6am.
Appreciate 0