Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Should I get new wheels before a new suspension or at the same time?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Should I get new wheels before a new suspension or at the same time?

I'm currently at 50k miles with stock wheels, stock shocks and stock springs. With my "estimated" tax refund of about $1000 I feel now would be the time to put less hurt on my wallet by getting new wheels (VMR VB3).

Thing is that my tires have about another year left on them and i always planned on getting everything done when those tires ran out because i figured i'd just be throwing away money by selling stock wheels with tires or do people actually want the tires on the wheels still?

i'm also wondering if i should go with 18 or 19" wheels to fill the gap, do shops usually frown upon customers buying one size and coming back and complaining about wanting to go bigger, or vice versa?

alignment wise, i know i'll need one done when changing out the suspension but what about new wheels/tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
JSH3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E92 and 2011 X3

Good question. Same here...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Sherwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMG 335i

Buy 19's bc they look better, and yes you will have to buy new tires at the same time since it's a bigger wheel. It's going to cost you more than 1g too, so its best to save up some more cash

Bigger the wheel usually means a smaller tire, so to lessen the gap you need to lower the car.

I would recommend getting an alignment after the new wheels and tires too.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

To answer your original question, it doesn't really matter which one you got done first.

Go for 19s. I doubt a shop will allow you to 'exchange' if you change your mind re sizing.

Keep your current tyres on your stockies and sell them as a bundle.

After changing suspension and wheels only get the alignment done if you need it. A true proper BMW alignment is an intricate and expensive process, many of the shops that offer 'alignments' do more harm than good.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
do it
Appreciate 0