E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Tint Problem w/ Automatic Roll-Down?

02-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 328i

Tint Problem w/ Automatic Roll-Down?

Cant think of a better way to word the title at this hour, so my apologies.

Anyway, I'm getting my windows tinted on Tuesday and just wondered if anyone has encountered any problems with the half inch automatic roll down on fresh tint? As in... when the door is opened and closed, the window automatically rolls back up to seal the space.

Will this have any effect on the new film? Any bunching or creasing? Or is it not sliding enough to cause any issues? I know the general rule with brand new tint is to give it a few days before the windows are rolled down at all.

Any experiences or insight would certainly be appreciated. Just curious if I should be pointing this out to the shop. Thanks, amigos.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

It will be ok, the movement is minuscule.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks, boss!

I figured as much, but you can never be too sure. Just making sure every modification goes smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
ultimate
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

i have an e92 and been having this chronic issue since i've had it installed a couple years back. the film overtime will often unstick towards the bottom corner and the automatic roll down somehow drags it up. i cringe every time i have to roll down the windows, it's not a pleasant sound. it gets a little worse every time you have to roll down.

i have taken it to a very reputable shop that have been nothing but accommodating in replacing them at no charge, i have been there a total of 4 times. they are pretty skeptical that this problem still persists even though i handled them with much care by not rolling down the windows well over the suggested recommendation of 3-5 days after installment. i would also like to know what the mystery is.

i currently have this issue on the drivers side (all have been this side but once on passengers) and feel really bad having to go back as they use up another pinnacle film. i would let the shop know of this issue but i might just have a rare case. i don't know of any one else with this issue.

best of luck
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep

^^ Since install, I've only tested the full roll down of my windows once, but it seems like I don't have anything like that going on. Tint seems too thin to cause any creasing. Sorry to hear, but it sounds like a rare unfortunate case.

Out of curiosity, what shade of color are your Pinnacle tints? I'm sort of disappointed with mine, and had considered getting them removed for F1 film, if it was a true black shade. I believe my tints are SunTek. They definitely have more of a charcoal color, with a tiny hint of metallic reflection. I was wanting a pure black tint, as I think it would look much better against my Space Grey. I have 35% all the way around, for the record.

The guy at my shop went on about how my tints are better than the dyed black film and will last way longer.... but I don't care about longevity! I want black tints!

If anyone else reads this and can chime in on which brand provides the best black shade of window film, I would really appreciate it. I know it exists, because I opted for the black dye film on my previous cars for the same reason. The charcoal film barely matches any car color!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
ZZ4SS
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I have had the same chronic issue as ultimate. After less than a year, I had to have both my doors redone on my E92. The back corner slowly starts to peel and continuously gets worse.

The tinter I went to had a year labor warranty so luckily it was free for me. Haven't had the problem since I had them redone about a month ago.

I would just make sure to tell whoever does your tint that people have had issues and to get the tint down below the felt line as far as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
It's fine
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
ultimate
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

i have 35% all the way round as well. it is the f1 pinnacle. on bright sunny days, the film seems a bit faint. it is much more noticeable on dark and cloudy days.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep

Ultimate, You got any pics you could share of your tint? I like the 35% transparency, but its the actual color of my film that im not sold on.

Interested to see if F1 is more of a black dye.
Appreciate 0