E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW Perf Susp for E91?

11-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

BMW Perf Susp for E91?

So I would really like to upgrade the suspension on our E91 to the BMW Performance set up. I had the full kit (second generation) on my E90 335 and it was perfect. I loved the way it handled and was still a comfortable daily driver. I didn’t see a kit listed on Tischer’s site so I sent them a message and there is no kit available for the E91. I am thinking about piecing together one by ordering the majority of the parts on their own but I am not sure how to choose the springs and dampers. My thinking is I could use Sedan parts up front meant for a similar build (6MT, M sport) and it should be close enough, but the rear is where the extra weight is on the wagon, so I am not sure where to start for those. Do the “D” tags on the springs map 1 to 1 to equivalent Performance springs? If so, I assume I could get close by going that route. Would E93 stuff work (if it exists)? I really don’t want coil overs and am not excited about the amount of drop from the popular aftermarket kits from Eibach and H&R.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
sibhusky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Im in a similar situation as you but its tougher as i have an AWD E91. Your right about springs and coilovers as the E91 already sits pretty low and there is no point lowering a utility oriented vehicle as the E91. That said it seems like going with adjustable struts such as Koni Yellow is a good way to go as you can tune the vehicle to your liking. Also you can look into larger diameter sway bars to help with cornering. Finally not sure what tires you have but going from the stock wheels with 205s to just some 17s with 225s or even 245s helps significantly especially if they are performance tires. I keep my factory wheels for winters only.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
So I would really like to upgrade the suspension on our E91 to the BMW Performance set up. I had the full kit (second generation) on my E90 335 and it was perfect. I loved the way it handled and was still a comfortable daily driver. I didn’t see a kit listed on Tischer’s site so I sent them a message and there is no kit available for the E91. I am thinking about piecing together one by ordering the majority of the parts on their own but I am not sure how to choose the springs and dampers. My thinking is I could use Sedan parts up front meant for a similar build (6MT, M sport) and it should be close enough, but the rear is where the extra weight is on the wagon, so I am not sure where to start for those. Do the “D” tags on the springs map 1 to 1 to equivalent Performance springs? If so, I assume I could get close by going that route. Would E93 stuff work (if it exists)? I really don’t want coil overs and am not excited about the amount of drop from the popular aftermarket kits from Eibach and H&R.

Thoughts?
No. D and T numbers are different between oe and PS springs.
If you really want PS springs, I'd go with comparable (motor/trans) E90 PS springs up front and comparable E93 PS springs in the rear. Don't forget matching bumpstops.
      12-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
Im in a similar situation as you but its tougher as i have an AWD E91. Your right about springs and coilovers as the E91 already sits pretty low and there is no point lowering a utility oriented vehicle as the E91. That said it seems like going with adjustable struts such as Koni Yellow is a good way to go as you can tune the vehicle to your liking. Also you can look into larger diameter sway bars to help with cornering. Finally not sure what tires you have but going from the stock wheels with 205s to just some 17s with 225s or even 245s helps significantly especially if they are performance tires. I keep my factory wheels for winters only.
Appreciate the input. If it becomes difficult to get BMW shocks to match with the Performance springs given I am going peice meal on this, I too am thinking some Koni's with the appropriate OE bumpstops could be a good way to go. I already have the 18's from the M Sport package on the car so no tire upgrade other than going to Michelins when the Bridgestones wear out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
No. D and T numbers are different between oe and PS springs.
If you really want PS springs, I'd go with comparable (motor/trans) E90 PS springs up front and comparable E93 PS springs in the rear. Don't forget matching bumpstops.
Thanks! I am hoping I can pull this off.

Last edited by therealm3; 12-03-2012 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0