E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New ipod nano

09-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
scotw
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D SG

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
New ipod nano

Anyone tried the new nano with the USB/Ipod kit ? I have an old nano that works fine, but my touch won't charge in the car, I guess as it needs more power.

Be nice to know a new nano will be fine before I buy one for the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotw View Post
Anyone tried the new nano with the USB/Ipod kit ? I have an old nano that works fine, but my touch won't charge in the car, I guess as it needs more power.

Be nice to know a new nano will be fine before I buy one for the car.
Surprised that your touch wont charge? - I am using my iphone at the moment as my ipod as I lost my nano on holiday this year.

The USB interface charges the Iphone fine, and would have thought it would be more power hungry than the touch?

Do you have the dual 'special' BMW supplied interface lead or just the white Apple one?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Note the iPhone GSM is difference to the iPhone 3G lead. Some GSM cables that worked with the GSM model dont work with the 3G model. SOmething has changed.
      09-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
Note the iPhone GSM is difference to the iPhone 3G lead. Some GSM cables that worked with the GSM model dont work with the 3G model. SOmething has changed.
?? Don't get what you mean Tisme

I have the 6FL USB interface fitted in the car. It has always ran an Ipod nano - I have since lost () the nano so for ipod purposes, am now using my redundant iphone as an ipod only.

Was simply saying, with the special BMW supplied lead the car charges both devices with no probs. The Touch is the same device as the Iphone (same firmware) so I would have thought the OP's touch should also charge OK (as my Iphone does) when running in his car.

Where the problem 'might' lie is with the cable he is using to couple the ipod with the car. The BMW supplied (special dual cable) lead plugs into BOTH sokets in the centre armrest (3.5mm AND USB) - if he is using the Apple cable, it will only plug into the USB socket. This might be causing his problem as it will be supplying power AND audio down the same cable? The BMW lead splits the sound off and inputs this into the 3.5mm sockedt. Just a suggestion.

Not sure where the GSM and 3G differences come into play? My Iphone is in 'flight' mode so all phone functions disabled so is in effect, the same as an Ipod touch
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I can do the tests on my new 330D from Saturday .

But I had a GSM iPhone and then I upgraded to a 3G IPhone. Some car power leads I have worked with the GSM iPhone but do not work with the 3G iPhone.

Back to the signal leads. The USB can be used for power and high quality digital signals (I have a laptop Plantronics USB headset and it is very good). If the analogue 3.5mm socket is used, the sound quality will be inferior to the USB.

My dealer has offered to give me a 6FL lead free. I've also ordered the 6FN as well which "should" give Bluetooth sound from my iPhone.

Have to say I think everything is getting very complicated.
      09-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

But I had a GSM iPhone and then I upgraded to a 3G IPhone. Some car power leads I have worked with the GSM iPhone but do not work with the 3G iPhone.

Back to the signal leads. The USB can be used for power and high quality digital signals (I have a laptop Plantronics USB headset and it is very good). If the analogue 3.5mm socket is used, the sound quality will be inferior to the USB.

My dealer has offered to give me a 6FL lead free. I've also ordered the 6FN as well which "should" give Bluetooth sound from my iPhone.

You need the dual lead if you have 'purchased' music on your ipod as it only plays through the 3.5mm headphone jack - copyrighted music will not play in the car using the standard apple usb lead.

Not sure how sound quality through the 3.5mm can be compromised? You ever listened to an ipod through a set of quality headphones?? It knocks your socks off quality wise with absolutely no losses that my ears can hear!!

So what will 6FN do?? Is this a different lead or an alternative to 6FL?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

What do you mean by '6FL lead'? the USB cable supplied with the 6FL USB Interface is NOT the same as the BMW 'Y' cable needed to charge and play iPods, touch, iPhones at best quality. The stealer lifted £40 out of my wallet for this after I complained about paying £210 for 6FL and then another £40 for this lead. He said 'do you want one or not!'

I am running a first gen iPhone for music and via bluetooth for the phone and getting no problems on sound or charging using the 'Y' cable. Also works with my 5th gen video iPod which I tend to use more for music as it holds my entire collection and I don't have to keep unplugging the iPhone everytime I get in or out.

Tell a lie the iPhone when plugged in to the 'Y' cable says 'this accessory does not work with iPhone. Do you want to switch to Airplane mode?' to which I say no! I get this message on older docks and Bose Sound Dock as well, but still works fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
You need the dual lead if you have 'purchased' music on your ipod as it only plays through the 3.5mm headphone jack - copyrighted music will not play in the car using the standard apple usb lead.

Not sure how sound quality through the 3.5mm can be compromised? You ever listened to an ipod through a set of quality headphones?? It knocks your socks off quality wise with absolutely no losses that my ears can hear!!

So what will 6FN do?? Is this a different lead or an alternative to 6FL?
The best quality sound on iPods comes from the dock connector not the headphone jack. No expert but its some thing to do with being 'amplified' for sound control through the jack. The dock connector is 'unamplified' and 'clean'

See www.ilounge.com for more detail on sound qualities.

But you are right a Apple dock connector/USB cable will not work with the 6FL. I believe its something to do with licensing via Apple and record companies and then Apple and BMW to get the iPods to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
scotw
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D SG

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Surprised that your touch wont charge? - I am using my iphone at the moment as my ipod as I lost my nano on holiday this year.

The USB interface charges the Iphone fine, and would have thought it would be more power hungry than the touch?

Do you have the dual 'special' BMW supplied interface lead or just the white Apple one?
Hmmm thats a funny one. Yes I have the proper 6FL Y cable, but my touch does not seem to charge at all. Since my nano is just fine, I assumed it was a power thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
GanjamanUSS
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

They changed the PIN outs on the iPhone 3G which is why it won't charge anymore.

Its known in the Apple world and its yet another cause of uproar because its a whole new raft of accessories AGAIN.

old 1st generation touch and iphone have exactly the same charging circuits, so if its charging your GSM iPhone then it will charge your first generation touch.

the iPhone 3G and 2nd generation touch (which got launched a few days ago) also both share identical charging circuits, so should also both work from the new *improved* ipod/iphone accessories.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Lets start with the 6NF (sorry, not 6FN). This is to quote "Additional connection point for the playback of music from a mobile phone with a built in music player" It only works with the 644/633 and 6FL

633/644 = Bluetooth with telematics/without telematics

It is £70 and in the current price list for the facelift and dont ask me how it works or what it does because I do not know. I just ordered it just in case I needed it.

Now, digital sound transmision is higher quality than analogue hence the use of fibre optic and digital cables in high end sound systems.

My comments are from a theoretical basis only - no practical experince yet.

Now my iPhone is loaded from music I have ripped from my own CDs, so it does nothave the DRM that iTunes software may have. Not sure it this makes any difference.
      09-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Lets start with the 6NF (sorry, not 6FN). This is to quote "Additional connection point for the playback of music from a mobile phone with a built in music player" It only works with the 644/633 and 6FL

633/644 = Bluetooth with telematics/without telematics

It is £70 and in the current price list for the facelift and dont ask me how it works or what it does because I do not know. I just ordered it just in case I needed it.

Now, digital sound transmision is higher quality than analogue hence the use of fibre optic and digital cables in high end sound systems.

My comments are from a theoretical basis only - no practical experince yet.

Now my iPhone is loaded from music I have ripped from my own CDs, so it does nothave the DRM that iTunes software may have. Not sure it this makes any difference.
Still need the 'Y' cable to see the song, album or playlist detail on the Nav or radio screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
Still need the 'Y' cable to see the song, album or playlist detail on the Nav or radio screen.
OK, I tried tio see it via Bluetooth today, and it did't work. iPhone 3G works fine with facelift model. Receives/makes calls and address book ok. More testing on Saturday when I pick up the car.