E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335D Which Rear Brake pads?

10-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

335D Which Rear Brake pads?

When i went to start my car this morning, the rear brake pad on obc flashed up 4k miles left till they need replacing. i thought I may as well get them replaced as i had a look and there isnt a lot of "meat" left on them

I have done an extensive search on the forum but still unsure and have a couple of questions regarding rear brake pads brands

I will be ringing BMW up tommorow to get a price on the rear pads (how much am I looking at them?)

But I was looking on the euro car parts site and they have ATE/Pagid/Textar/Eicher pads (some vary greatly in price) plus they got 25% off this weekend

I have also seen some mintex pads on ebay but reviews tend to say stay away from them?

From my reading is it true BMW oem pads are made by Textar?

Out of the above brands which should I go for?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Pfft, call yourself hardcore? My iDrive keeps grilling me for my pads being overdue!! I like to get my moneys worth lol.

I've just bought Pagid ones, with Pagid brake pad sensors off ECP. ATE and Textar are the normal suppliers for BMW's but Pagid are fine too.

I'd stay away from Mintex -they're just too suspiciously cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
Pfft, call yourself hardcore? My iDrive keeps grilling me for my pads being overdue!! I like to get my moneys worth lol.

I've just bought Pagid ones, with Pagid brake pad sensors off ECP. ATE and Textar are the normal suppliers for BMW's but Pagid are fine too.

I'd stay away from Mintex -they're just too suspiciously cheap.
then ive got some way to go yet. i just dont like the idea of them going right down to bare metal
Ill buy the textar ones since there is a discount code for them
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
then ive got some way to go yet. i just dont like the idea of them going right down to bare metal
Ill buy the textar ones since there is a discount code for them
Ha, yeh definitely get them changed sooner rather than later. I've just picked up my E92 and the first thing i did was order new brake pads!

I had the Textar ones on my 330i and they were a bit soft for the first few hundred miles, then they really started to bite. Like all BMW OEM pads though - they are very dusty!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Yea I always let mine bed in and take it easy for first 100 miles or so but i dont think I will be able to in this car.

I have noticed the genuine pads that are currently on the car do produce a lot of dust, I think if you go for the ebc pads then less brake dust will be produced. But for my normal driving i will stick to genuine/oem pads which i think will be more than sufficient for my needs
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Just placed my order on the ecp for textar rear pads and pagid brake sensor, not bad for £44 delivered. Just gotta get them fitted now

Are the rears hard to replace? Ive changed pads and discs on other cars but that has only ever been changing the fronts

also does the obc computer automatically reset when new pads are put in?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
if you have not triggered the sensors you can just re use them.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
if you have not triggered the sensors you can just re use them.
i read they are 2 part sensors and always need repalcing with new set of brake pads?
If I can re use the old ones then Ill just return the new sensor back to ecp
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

You will still have to reset the iDrive to tell it that new pads have been fitted.

Try it with the old sensor. Experience with the 5 series is that there is no rhyme or reason to them - some work after replacement, others don't. Some people only fit genuine BMW sensors after having trouble resetting "pattern" parts. On my 5er, I'd triggered the sensor, (started an 70 mile journey with 2500 miles left, but about 5 miles of spirited driving saw it rapidly go negative!!) but an ECP part sorted it - there was loads left on the pads, probably the aforementioned 2500 miles. The discs, although they looked fine, were actually only just within tolerance, so I swapped them too. It's worth getting a micrometer on the discs when you have the wheel off. Just in case!

I would have recommended EBC Red or Yellowstuff pads, even for road use on standard discs. The lack of dust is uncanny!

I've Redstuff on my 530 (and slotted discs) and the fronts hardly get dirty, whereas the rears (standard pads) are usually black. I have noted that the 335 is a lot dustier than the 5er too - and I'm not pushing it at all.

Mike

Last edited by AlwynMike; 10-16-2011 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Add Sensor Stuff
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
You will still have to reset the iDrive to tell it that new pads have been fitted.

I would have recommended EBC Red or Yellowstuff pads, even for road use on standard discs. The lack of dust is uncanny!

I've Redstuff on my 530 (and slotted discs) and the fronts hardly get dirty, whereas the rears (standard pads) are usually black. I have noted that the 335 is a lot dustier than the 5er too - and I'm not pushing it at all.

Mike

does re seting the idrive require it to be connected up to a laptop and using software?
sorry if i am asking dumb questions but I am just thinking I can probably replace the pads myself but if it requires re setting then I may as well get my local indi to fit them and rest it as i dont have the necessary sofwatre/cable etc
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

After mine was in at the stealers for a new ecu that couldnt wait to tell me the brakes needed doing & proably though they would get the job. Car goes in for a new ecu & leaves needing new discs & pads all round & whilst in the dealers the warning light just happened to "come on".

Told them to leave them. Bought my own discs & pads (ebc yellow stuff) & me & my mate did them along with the brake fluid. Guess what ?? the sensor to the rear brake was unplugged. Two seperate trips to the dealers & 2 sensors left off. I'm personally coonvinced they were looking for work. Theiving bastards.

The idrive can be reset but I think you do it through the trip meter button. Cant remember what the combo was but tried a couple of different methods(search youtube) before I got it to work.

Get me Laptop back tomorrow with multiple diagnostic software on it so quite exited
Appreciate 0