E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > SLK 55 AMG Review

04-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #23
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonkey View Post
^^

pics of your Mustang please
Can you be off topic in an Off Topic discussion forum

Plenty here and one to be going on with:

Also to get back on topic, SLK 55 pics here.

Factory collection is fun - day one picture in the factory collection centre on temporary German plates for the drive home:

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #24
DrunkenMonkey
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90 335ise

thank you kindly
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #25
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
Can you be off topic in an Off Topic discussion forum

Plenty here and one to be going on with:

Also to get back on topic, SLK 55 pics here.

Factory collection is fun - day one picture in the factory collection centre on temporary German plates for the drive home:

Wheels look great Must have been brilliant getting it from the factory. Palmnuts is picking up his C63 from the factory at the end of the month.

Did you modify the car at all?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #26
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Must have been brilliant getting it from the factory. Palmnuts is picking up his C63 from the factory at the end of the month.

Did you modify the car at all?
The factory collection is brilliant and a real credit to Mercedes. For no extra cost compared to a UK delivery you get 5 days insurance, Eurotunnel tickets, business class flight out and a night in a great hotel locally. And a trip round the assembly line and museum of course. You have to pay for your passenger's flight and extra nights in hotels though. Also it's like getting a new car twice. First at the factory, then when you get back you hand it over to the dealer who does the UK registration, full PDI and valet and you get a new car again I would definitely do it again. The car is run in by the time you get home. The only slightly alarming thing is the first time you drive your expensive new toy, it's on the wrong side of the road but you soon get used to it.

I didn't modify mine as it was already bonkers enough. US magazines got 4.3 secs to 60 and 12.7 sec quarter mile although the best timeslips I saw for totally standard cars managed 12.5. Some say that the power output is way in excess of the quoted figure, one was dynoed by a magazine at over 400 bhp IIRC. That wouldn't be the first time AMG power claims were understated - the TUV took an interest in the SL55 for example and MB had to raise the claimed power twice. One easy improvement would be wider and/or sticker rear tyres (they only last 5,000 miles BTW). A better one would be an LSD if you want to spend money
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #27
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Another mod I considered but never got round to is the SmartTop control box that allows you to raise and lower the roof on the move. Also it gives you one touch up/down instead of having to hold the button.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #28
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Another mod I considered but never got round to is the SmartTop control box that allows you to raise and lower the roof on the move. Also it gives you one touch up/down instead of having to hold the button.
Do you know who fits smart top in the UK? I have seen the USA forums and it looks really good.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #29
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do you know who fits smart top in the UK? I have seen the USA forums and it looks really good.
I think you can maybe do it yourself if you are handy with electrical stuff, although IIRC it's slightly more difficult in RHD cars due to the way the cables run through the car. If you buy one online, any competent auto electrician should be able to do it I expect. As to where to buy it from, I would register with slkworld.com and ask. There are plenty of UK owners there.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #30
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Oh that picture of the factory collection has got me all excited. I can see it now...my white C63 in all it's leather-covered-dash glory!!

Not excited.

Nope.

Not at all.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Oh that picture of the factory collection has got me all excited. I can see it now...my white C63 in all it's leather-covered-dash glory!!

Not excited.

Nope.

Not at all.

Calm down before you have a little accident.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #32
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ordered the smart top today from a supplier in Canterbury, £248 its the latest version and can up up-dated via usb and the internet. I have sent the installation instructions to the auto electrician will will quote on fitting.

All looks straight forward and should make a huge difference to the enjoyment of the car. It even links into the command system.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #33
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:

Not excited.

Nope.

Not at all.

Just had mine remapped by DMS. However I did'nt factor in the extra expense of having to turn the drivers seat into a commode
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #34
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Crap View Post
Just had mine remapped by DMS. However I did'nt factor in the extra expense of having to turn the drivers seat into a commode
Come on more info required. BHP gains, cost, experience of DMS etc???
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #35
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mr Poo....when did you get one? It seems everyone is buying one of these sensational cars and I'm the only one who's without one

How does it drive post DMS? Is it one of those 'I think it's made a difference' or is it....'Wow, that's so much faster'? And do you notice it throughout the rev range? Oh...and and and....is there anything you don't like?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Great looking car Jon,the rear end is a work of art and what I would imagine is what people see more of

Quote:
I bet that is a monster, I remember getting an E46 330D done at DMS, what a beast that turned into,a mapped C63 must be in a totally different league
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #37
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Great looking car Jon,the rear end is a work of art and what I would imagine is what people see more of

I bet that is a monster, I remember getting an E46 330D done at DMS, what a beast that turned into,a mapped C63 must be in a totally different league
DMS reckon 535bhp
      04-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #38
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Quote:

Not excited.

Nope.

Not at all.

White!!! That is sooooo last year That is going to look the dogs nuts in white!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #39
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Oh and sorry, lovely looking SLK, but I agree with SteveA needs the multispoke wheels to finish it off!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #40
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
White!!! That is sooooo last year That is going to look the dogs nuts in white!
the leather dash will make the car.......oh and 487bhp
      04-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #41
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
the leather dash will make the car.......oh and 487bhp
Yes, after the M6 which simply had the nicest interior of virtually any car I've seen (OK, maybe not a stylish as an Aston for instance, but for combination of style AND quality, it must be up there with the best?), I really think a nice leather dash can make the inside feel extremely 'premium'.

However, very annoyingly they only cover the top half of the dash and door trims in leather as part of the factory ordered leather dash option (even though it's not done at the factory and the whole dash has to be removed to fit it ) - I have asked AMG to do the lower half of the dash and centre console at the same time and I'd pay the extra but apparently I've got to take delivery and then send it back to them if I want this done!

Given they're only going to charge me about €500 to have the rest of the interior done, I'm in the process of arranging for it to go back to AMG about 4 weeks after I get it! I think I might actually be....mad!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #42
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Nice one Andrew.
      04-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #43
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Oh and sorry, lovely looking SLK, but I agree with SteveA needs the multispoke wheels to finish it off!
That's right...all gang up on poor little Palmnuts just 'cause I prefer the 'dated' wheels.

Seriously though, I really do prefer the older wheels and it's not like I'm being biased.....the multispokes that everyone (except me) seems to prefer are just a slightly smaller version of the wheels going on my C63.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #44
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Come on more info required. BHP gains, cost, experience of DMS etc???
Well I bought the car as I needed a 4 door and did'nt really like the look of the 4 door M3.

I did quite a bit of research and then went to have a look at one
After hearing the car start up the M3 started to sound a bit weedy
On acceleration (as stock) these sound insane.

Its much faster than an M3 (unless the M3 is being driven around a track by a pro). Whereas in the M3 you need to be above 4000rpm before it really gets going, here all hell breaks loose from anywhere depending on how you use the throttle.

The steering is much more responsive and there is more feedback from the road.

THEN I CALLED DMS

Firstly can I say that these guys are true professionals. Expensive - yes
But they know what they are doing. I spoke to Mike and was told to expect between 520 and 530 bhp (from 457). Got there, put it on the dyno. It was doing 450 stock and 480 after mapping. Rob - who did the remap was a bit confused so put a different map on - got to 500 - still well below what was quoted.

We then realised that the dealer who sold me the car had probably put 95 octane fuel in. Went off, burnt off the remaining fuel and replaced with 99RON. Took it back to the dyno and hey presto - 526bhp

The car is now the equivalent of a rocket and will destroy nearly anything on the road up to 70mph

I am sure it will continue to destroy everything up to nearly 200mph but as I never exceed the speed limit I would not possibly be able to comment.

Another thing about DMS service. Over the weekend the car sort of went into pseudo limp mode. The gearbox did'nt seem to want to rev beyond 3000. I rang DMS on saturday, they arranged for me to come in on monday at 7.30am!! (to work around my work issues). I did'nt drive the car over the weekend and the problem seemed to have sorted itself out by Monday, but the ran some diagnostics anyway (which showed one minor fault code) and told me to come back if I felt there was any repeat of the problem. I know of no car dealer/garage that would open early for one customer. Anyway highly recomended.

Added £150 to my insurance policy with Admiral.

Total cost £1200 - so expensive but you are buying one of the best maps and the best service possible.
Appreciate 0