E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 330d Air mass readings

12-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
docwalker
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M Sport

330d Air mass readings

Hi all

My 330d fuel economy has deteriorated, I have recently changed the egr and main stats and these helped a little and certainly improved the running temperature.

I also recent replaced the air filter which made a good difference to the drivability of the car.

So I bought and installed appropriate cable and INPA and my air mass reading is 1650 well outside the recommended range.

There was a number of codes also logged, including the air flow meter input air sensor

My question is what could cause this, is it likely to be a faulty maf?

Or is there out easier to check options than having to strip out half the engine to get to the maf!!

Cheers

Steve
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
docwalker
Rep

Unhappy Update

Hi

Quick update i cleared all the stored codes last night and rescanned tonight, all that remains is 6 glow plug errors which after some research points to a faulty control unit.

Air mass reading however is still too high. Could the glow plugs be connected to this or are they two separate faults?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

High actual maf compared to expected is likely egr fault. Its turned down or perhaps stuck shut. If actual maf becomes too far from requested, expect an EML suggesting faulty EGR,

You can reset the adaptations on the maf should you wish. Make sure air flow is zero if you do.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
docwalker
Rep

Hi ade

Many thanks for your reply I guess that makes sense, I am a little surprised as the car feels strong at the minute (though that could be because I drive an E39 525i day to day and the 330d at the weekend, quite a difference in torque between the 2 )

Is it easy to get access to the valve to clean?

Cheers

Steve
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah it come off from the front without removing anything else, although bottom bolt needs a flexi and bendy fingers. I always turn down my egr or partial blank on any car I have had. When I got the BM whatever I did threw a code relating to egr flow. In the end after multiple egr cleans plus testing I noticed the actual maf was nearly always higher than expected. Reset the maf adaptations and they now match which should now allow me to turn down the egr when I get around to it. My car is still running rich but I have also removed the dpf. it needs the zero load maps adjusted. In case you dont know the egr is very difficult to move. That vacuum diaphragm must have some proper force multiplication.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and the the egr isnt going to make any difference to how strong it feels. egr only occurs under partial throttle.
Appreciate 0