E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear Ended!

11-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Holy crap on a cracker on a batman. £5500 Thats insane!.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
Mate, im no expert in car sales so dont take my word for it, it was just my opinion. If it was up to me I would make sure you car is worth 20k . For me the 330i was the best NA non M straight 6 BMW ever made. I think at the time its power to weight ratio was amongst the best seeing as it was an alu and mag block.

But sadly, the way things are BMW have stopped making the engine. and to the mass market its hard to shift. However like i said, if it was to a like minded enthusiast it would be good money all day long.

In regards to the damage, mate you will know soon enough. Hopefully just cosmetic
Yeah, I know. I had my heart set on a 330i, and couldn't get a coupe due to car seat, so it was hard to find this car. And despite the fact that the dealer had found it hard to shift, given its thirst and the economic situation, they still didn't play nice on price. BUt I wanted it so I bit the bullet and paid.

The engine is fantastic, it still impresses me. I would hate to lose this car....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules59 View Post
Got sandwiched in multi-car crash - nobody hurt.

Guess how much BMW bodyshop charged for this ...

Just under £14K in fact.

Airbags when off - so new dash, steering wheel & windscreen
The car that hit my rear went underneath, taking out the exhaust system - needed new cat and DPF.
Engine bay untouched but needed new bumper, grille, bonnet, adaptive lights as all the plastic brackets sheared.
Also rear bumper, tailgate & battery box.

It all adds up.

They did a brill job though - drives like new.
      11-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
I was rear ended ( sounds wrong lol )
Au contraire, Blackadder: it's an apt phrase. Shafted!

Quote:
a couple of years ago in my old e90. Similar damage to what you have. Repair bill ended up at £5500.00. I would also enquire about depreciation value of the vehicle. If you sell the car you have to declare any accident damage. I ended up losing nearly 2 grand in trade in value because my vehicle had been classed as a Catd.
Sheeeeeeeeet! £5.5k plus depreciation etc? Doesn't leave much change out of estimated value of the car. Incredible to think I might be looking at an insurance write-off, for a car that had a £20,000 sticker on its windscreen when I first saw it in the dealership 18 months ago.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules59 View Post
Just under £14K in fact.

Airbags when off - so new dash, steering wheel & windscreen
The car that hit my rear went underneath, taking out the exhaust system - needed new cat and DPF.
Engine bay untouched but needed new bumper, grille, bonnet, adaptive lights as all the plastic brackets sheared.
Also rear bumper, tailgate & battery box.

It all adds up.

They did a brill job though - drives like new.

Tell me no more!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
I was rear ended ( sounds wrong lol ) a couple of years ago in my old e90. Similar damage to what you have. Repair bill ended up at £5500.00. I would also enquire about depreciation value of the vehicle. If you sell the car you have to declare any accident damage. I ended up losing nearly 2 grand in trade in value because my vehicle had been classed as a Catd.
Where and on what basis do you have to tell anyone?

Yours was written off. You still didn't have to tell anyone it was CAT D. But a a decent person then of course you would declare an insurance wrote off .

A car that's just been in an accident no.
      11-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Reading all of this just reinforces my belief in BMW dealers being like Vultures.. waiting for their prey to get weak and take advantage at their lowest point! No offence to anyone reading this who may works for BMW... I'm sure there are those out there in the best interest of the customer, but majority of them IMO are there to make us destitute! Absolutte Bezzels! As much as I love the BMW brand and product, I hate their image and service at times.

Sorry to see this OP and the others also affected, I hope everything gets resolved soon!
      11-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #30
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Where and on what basis do you have to tell anyone?

Yours was written off. You still didn't have to tell anyone it was CAT D. But a a decent person then of course you would declare an insurance wrote off .

A car that's just been in an accident no.
When i was selling the car went round few different dealers. First question they asked was there any accident damage on the car that your aware off. Then had to sign a waiver stating yes or no etc.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #31
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
But yours was Cat D mate. A little different to a small rear ender like the OP's.
      11-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #32
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post

Tell me no more!
It was touch and go as to whether they would write it off as the cost of repair kept rising.
From an insurance point of view the car was worth about £20K but there were the claims and counter claims to take into consideration too - 4 cars involved.
      11-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #33
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Hi folks. Just got the estimate from BMW's body shop. A whopping total of £5,300 to repair my car, which the insurance have agreed.

So no write off. :-)

Their list of parts to be replaced includes:

Renew
L/R Side Panel And Rear End Panel
(Partial Renewal Of The C-Pillar)
Includes: R + R Rear Seat, Seat
Backrest, Bumper Carrier, Bumper,
Tailgate, Rear Window, Tail Lamps, Sill
Moulding, Luggage Compartment Trim, Sill
Cover Strip, Tailgate Sealing And Rear Door
Rear Bumper Trim (Bumper Removed)
L/Luggage Compartment Floor
(Rear End Panel And Side Panel Removed)
Rear Silencer (Exhaust System Removed)

I'm not sure that "Partial Renewal Of The C-Pillar" is very reassuring....

The list of parts to 'Remove And Refit/Renew' is much, much longer.

NB. They also have yet to mention the Dark Lines light cluster which obviously needs to be replaced, though I have pointed that out to them.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #34
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Bad luck mate, but all cosmetic / non structural parts.

That list of parts is outrageous, just goes to show show accident repairs is a money-go-round of firms shafting insurers, just means we all pay in the end.

With all their scaremongering about 'safety' and 'ooh what about the children' when really that knock is just superficial / cosmetic (seen from parts list)

Probably under a grand from a good, honest repairers who will repair with skill rather than replace through lazyness (but a dealers has big overheads, so for them there's much more profit on parts than labour)

'partial renewal of C pillar' is because the rear quarter is seamless onto the c-pillar / roof, so they'll have to cut and weld the new quarter in. Again, no worries safety wise as there is no structural strength in exterior body panels, they are only cosmetic.

Re the darklines, they're a modification, so most insurers won't pay for that, you'll get a standard one unless you argue the toss (provided you declared it )

Last edited by doughboy; 11-26-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #35
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Bad luck mate.

That list of parts is outrageous, just goes to show show accident repairs is a money-go-round of firms shafting insurers, just means we all pay in the end.

With all their scaremongering about 'safety' and 'ooh what about the children' when really that knock is just superficial / cosmetic.

Probably under a grand from a good, honest repairers.

Re the darklines, they're a modification, so most insurers won't pay for that, you'll get a standard one unless you argue the toss (provided you declared it )
I did indeed declare the Darklines to my insurer, and it was a ballache to do so because I may as well have tried explaining what they were to a Labrador puppy.

I hope you're right re. cosmetic damage, to be honest I do worry about that, and I'm struggling to think of this car, when repaired, being anywhere like the same vehicle. I'm hugely p1ssed off that this time last week I had a perfect car and now I will have a rear-ender.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #36
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I feel for you mate, it seems so not fair when these things happen.

As you said, the only positive is that no one was hurt (well, maybe the van driver, but he's probably got 3 passengers all suing for whiplash)
Appreciate 0