E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMS DCI or upgraded stock air filter - 335i

07-18-2017, 04:02 AM   #23
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

If your thinking about the Alpina air box then look at the AFE GT Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System

My 335i is mapped with performance mods carried out and running around 400bhp

I went from stock to Pipercross panel filter and then to the BMS duel cone's, while getting the car mapped I was shown the heat temp being pulled through the filters even with a huge fan blowing in to the engine, even worse with the bonnet down. They were removed and I put the original box back on, until I grabbed a AFE air box and filter form another member on hear, they don't come up for sale very often so I did not hesitate.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:24 AM   #24
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Steve View Post
If your thinking about the Alpina air box then look at the AFE GT Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System

My 335i is mapped with performance mods carried out and running around 400bhp

I went from stock to Pipercross panel filter and then to the BMS duel cone's, while getting the car mapped I was shown the heat temp being pulled through the filters even with a huge fan blowing in to the engine, even worse with the bonnet down. They were removed and I put the original box back on, until I grabbed a AFE air box and filter form another member on hear, they don't come up for sale very often so I did not hesitate.
You were pulling high temps because your car was static, therefore large heat soak was being absorbed. When you start driving then the temperature obviously go down considerably. So yes dci do cause issues with heat soak but only if you drive at 0mph. If you're driving at any speed you will be drawing in cool air. You only need cool air when the car is moving, as heat soak when the car is static does not affect performance.

Hopefully we don't open a tin of worms on this.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #25
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by imy View Post
You were pulling high temps because your car was static, therefore large heat soak was being absorbed. When you start driving then the temperature obviously go down considerably. So yes dci do cause issues with heat soak but only if you drive at 0mph. If you're driving at any speed you will be drawing in cool air. You only need cool air when the car is moving, as heat soak when the car is static does not affect performance.

Hopefully we don't open a tin of worms on this.

It is what it is, after fitting the AFE air box I noticed a big difference,,,

No can of worms being opened hear
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW Steve; 07-20-2017 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0