E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ok, KWV2 & Sway bars in, have both good and bad news

09-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #23
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Hey, did BTM do this work?

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #24
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

Now that everything is setup correctly do you feel that the sways have an effect on ride quality? rate the stiffness on a scale of 1-10.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #25
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
No, they didn't.

I won't say the name of the shop in open forum. They did do right by me and handled the situation 1st class. It was an honest mistake from a different tech than the guy who did the rest of the install.

All in all, it was a learning experience for all involved.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to this shop in the future.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #26
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan(e92) View Post
Now that everything is setup correctly do you feel that the sways have an effect on ride quality? rate the stiffness on a scale of 1-10.
I can't answer about just the sway bars becuase I did the coilovers and the sway bars at the same time, BUT I will say.....

For anybody on the fence just DO IT. I can't believe the difference. I have KWV2 set at half way in the rear and 2 clicks stiffer in the front. the car is super smooth over stock, while at the same time being A LOT tighter. The rebound is so much quicker and controlled. The rear end is planted and does not wallow at all. The weakest link now is the stock run flats.

I will take pics soon to show the drop. But I am at the highest you can go in the rear and about 1/2 inch higher in the front. I wanted the most stock like look as possible.

I can't say enough about this set-up. Now that I have this done, I can't believe how sucky the stock shocks are. Yet all the magazines rave about the 335i suspension set-up. I mean really we are talking about an extra $1700 that BMW could easily could bring down by a contract price to make the 335 handling and feel SO MUCH MORE stable and planted. It boggles my mind they use the cheapest shocks they can get away with in what is considered a luxury sports sedan.

If fact I am willing to bet that the KWV2 set-up will be even better than the upcoming M3 set-up
09' C6 Z06

Last edited by TRZ06; 09-12-2007 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #27
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
No, they didn't.

I won't say the name of the shop in open forum. They did do right by me and handled the situation 1st class. It was an honest mistake from a different tech than the guy who did the rest of the install.

I hope you will replace the shock. You bent the tab and with 300 series stainless it would cold work itself once bent and by bending back you introduce micro cracks and the part will fail within 3 year if not a lot sooner from fatigue.

If this was pain carbon steel you would be fine.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #28
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
No, they didn't.

Good job....I think that shows a lot of integrity.
      09-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #29
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I hope you will replace the shock. You bent the tab and with 300 series stainless it would cold work itself once bent and by bending back you introduce micro cracks and the part will fail within 3 year if not a lot sooner from fatigue.

If this was pain carbon steel you would be fine.

Orb
Oh, I didn't think about that. I was told that there was no damage except to the end link.

I am pretty sure that there is a natural bend in that tab, but I don't how much of a bend there is supposed to be.

That has me a little worried now.

I just checked both sides and they both have a slight bend in them, but not quite as extreme as my pic. that I posted.

Sam@Autotalent, maybe you can confirm if there should be a bend in the tab or not.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #30
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I didn't think about that. I was told that there was no damage except to the end link.

I am pretty sure that there is a natural bend in that tab, but I don't how much of a bend there is supposed to be.

That has me a little worried now.

I just checked both sides and they both have a slight bend in them, but not quite as extreme as my pic. that I posted.

Sam@Autotalent, maybe you can confirm if there should be a bend in the tab or not.
If you look at some picture in the forum of KW v2 for any E90/E92 you will see that the tabs are all straight (that bend is not natural at all) and they are straight on my Koni shocks as well. It is not to surprising that the both bent equally at both end. The load bent the tabs to an optimal angle before pulling out the bearing. The only good thing about this is the tabs took the brunt of the load so there is likely to be no further consequential damage. It is also likely the sway bar bushings have been severally deformed and the moulded Teflon sleeve may already delaminated. The sway bar link bearing on the other sided is certainly damaged and just for safety reasons it should be replace as it is directly in the load path.

I think you installer has not been as good to as you think and I would demand the following:

• 2 new front KW struts
• New front sway bar as the paint was damage and it can’t be repainted to specification since it phosphorous coated before it is painted. It will rust quickly as high carbon alloy steel.
• New sway Bar link for the other side.

I would also do an inspection for the sway bushing mounting brackets and the top hats for both struts (the rubber\metal part that bolts to the top of the strut).

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 09-12-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #31
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
If you look at some picture in the forum of KW v2 for any E90/E92 you will see that the tabs are all straight (that bend is not natural at all) and they are straight on my Koni shocks as well. It is not to surprising that the both bend equally at both end as the load bent the tabs to optimal angle before pulling out the bearing. The only good thing about this is the tabs took the brunt of the load so there likely to be no further consequential damage. It is also high likely the sway bar bushings have been severally deformed and the moulded Teflon sleeve may already delaminated. The sway bar link bearing on the other sided is certainly damaged and just for safety reasons it should be replace as it is directly in the load path.

I think you installer has not been as good to as you think and I would demand the following:

• 2 new front KW struts
• New front sway bar as the paint was damage and it can’t be repainted to specification since it phosphorous coated before it is painted. It will rust quickly as high carbon alloy steel.
• New sway Bar link for the other side.

I would also do an inspection for the sway bushing mounting brackets and the top hats for both struts (the rubber\metal part that bolts to the top of the strut).

Orb
Thanks for your help, I just contacted KW and will get their take on this, they are going to show the pictures to their lab and technitions.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #32
AM335
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i E90  [0.00]
Good suggestions by Orb, definitely take care of any potential rust issues. Good luck and let us know the ultimate outcome.

Speed Up My Computer .......... Aion Download
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #33
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM335 View Post
Good suggestions by Orb, definitely take care of any potential rust issues. Good luck and let us know the ultimate outcome.
VERY GOOD SUGGUESTIONS from Orb.

Orb: Thank you very much for your help on this, I wouldn't have even thought about to look at those things.

I just got off the phone with them and they have agreed to replace both struts, sway bar, end-link, center bracket, and top hats of the top of the struts.

You guys have been great, so much thanks to you all, especially Orb
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #34
OhhaiAlex
Oh hai :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
ouch!

may i ask which shop did the work?
yeah, so we dont go there. lol
      09-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #35
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteAngel View Post
yeah, so we dont go there. lol
I know what you mean, but this shop took care of this guy so I'll respect them.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #36
Green-Eggs
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The tab is straight up and down

Glad to hear that everything is being taken care of
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #37
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@AutoTalent View Post
The bar is installed upside down

TRZ06: Good talking with you
first thing that came into my head as soon as i started reading this thread.... was kinda obvious...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #38
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
VERY GOOD SUGGUESTIONS from Orb.

Orb: Thank you very much for your help on this, I wouldn't have even thought about to look at those things.

I just got off the phone with them and they have agreed to replace both struts, sway bar, end-link, center bracket, and top hats of the top of the struts.

You guys have been great, so much thanks to you all, especially Orb
It is good to see people will correct their screw ups without any hassle.

I do stress analysis pretty well most of the day so it was easy to see the load path and the possible damage that can occur. Glad someone picked up the bar was backwards and I’m really surprised it could actually go in this way.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 09-12-2007 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #39
Green-Eggs
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't answer about just the sway bars becuase I did the coilovers and the sway bars at the same time, BUT I will say.....

For anybody on the fence just DO IT. I can't believe the difference. I have KWV2 set at half way in the rear and 2 clicks stiffer in the front. the car is super smooth over stock, while at the same time being A LOT tighter. The rebound is so much quicker and controlled. The rear end is planted and does not wallow at all. The weakest link now is the stock run flats.

I will take pics soon to show the drop. But I am at the highest you can go in the rear and about 1/2 inch higher in the front. I wanted the most stock like look as possible.

I can't say enough about this set-up. Now that I have this done, I can't believe how sucky the stock shocks are. Yet all the magazines rave about the 335i suspension set-up. I mean really we are talking about an extra $1700 that BMW could easily could bring down by a contract price to make the 335 handling and feel SO MUCH MORE stable and planted. It boggles my mind they use the cheapest shocks they can get away with in what is considered a luxury sports sedan.

If fact I am willing to bet that the KWV2 set-up will be even better than the upcoming M3 set-up

This is what keeps us in business and having fun
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #40
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@AutoTalent View Post
This is what keeps us in business and having fun
Very true.

Sam you are a true top notch guy with a ton of knowledge. Believe me, you are on the top of my list when it comes to anything I need.

Want to move to the Bay Area We have Lake Tahoe and Santa Cruz near and the SJ Sharks.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #41
Green-Eggs
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If I could clone myself , we would have shops in

San Francisco
Irvine
San Diego
Houston
City of Industry Area
Miami
Seattle
and a few other places
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #42
Silvr&Blk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Jet Blk

Quote:
No, they didn't.

Glad to hear ur shop stood by their work and worked with you to fix the problems. Also have to give you props for ur response above - show's ur a classy guy. Hope ur ride is now running well...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #43
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
The bar is installed upside down

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
This freaked me the fuck out! I am guilty of installing my sway bar upside down last summer!

Last edited by BTM; 03-06-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0