E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Standard 320D exhaust tip, polishing to improve appearance?

08-24-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

Standard 320D exhaust tip, polishing to improve appearance?

Ok, ive accepted that there are no tailpipes to fit this model, and that cutting the exhaust to fit one would invalidate the warranty.

So, what if I was to polish the exhaust tip to a mirror/chrome style finish?

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this, maybe even spray the tip?

Do you think 3 hours and a bottle of metal polish would suffice, or something better?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medrep
Ok, ive accepted that there are no tailpipes to fit this model, and that cutting the exhaust to fit one would invalidate the warranty.

So, what if I was to polish the exhaust tip to a mirror/chrome style finish?

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this, maybe even spray the tip?

Do you think 3 hours and a bottle of metal polish would suffice, or something better?

Thanks
Have a look here, medrep.

BTW- fancy coming to UK2?

Viv

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2006, 06:51 AM   #3
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

Hi Viv,

Thanks for the post, unfortunately its a company car, and therefore not permitted to modify or fit anything to it, even if it is BMW part.
I think I may just have a drive round some motor store places and see if i can get one to fit over, as long as it doesnt make it look cheap.

Why BMW, why have such a crap exhaust!!!

Could make the meet, no probs. A lot of my weekends are taken up over the next month or so though, birthdays, weddings, my own anniversay etc.

I'll keep a close eye. Wales is great for roads, but real bad for speed cameras. There are less pictures taken at the Oscars than this place!!

As you approach the severn bridge, £4.90 toll fee plus £60 penalty speeding charge gives you access to Wales, plus a free picture taken of you and your car, courtesy of South Wales Police
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medrep View Post
Surely cutting the small turned down tip off your exhaust is not gonna invalidate your warranty????
The only issue BMW could possibly rag you about was if the paint started to bubble around the exhaust on the bumper - due to extra heat or smoke?
Appreciate 0