E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Roadforce balance weights unacceptable?

07-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #23
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
look at the tire - there should be a yellow circle on the tire - and it should be lined up with the valve stem - and there should also be a red circle (both are small) that should be opposite the valve stem...(some tires don't have the yellow circle) - red circle should be mounted opposite valve stem.

the spot marked on the tire w/ a small yellow circle is the lightest spot of the tire.
In addition to the weights, the dots are not lined up. Overall, I'm disappointed with the service and result. So these were boxed up and sent back to tirerack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I wouldn't be concerned about it. My fathers 911 came with 3 to 4 ounces on each wheel with PS2's. The time and effort to get rid of wheel weights is not worth the time and effort especially if they are balanced.
I agree, I am not going to waste the time getting these corrected. The product is going back to tirerack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
100g is not that much. It's normal imo. It doesnt even need to be because of the wheels, the tires may be unbalanced, too. But as I say, 100g isn't bad at all.
For the $$, I expected more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Nice choice, need pics
They are my unicorn. Great looking combo, they would have looked great, too bad I'll never see them mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
i had a really cool tech dial in the balance by rotating the tire on the wheel on my cheapo csl rep/general combo. he spent +20 mins on one tire (deflate/rotate tire/inflate/re-balance/repeat) and had my final balance down to 1.1 from +4oz. hope you get yours worked out bubbles as thats a nice wheel/tire combo!
The wheels and tires are on their way back to tirerack
      07-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Sorry you had to send them back, make sure to give feedback to Gary to make sure the installers at tirerack fix their sh*t.

Its a shame when a poor install ruins the reputation of tirerack. I've always had good luck with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #25
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

i bought wheels/tires from tire rack recently as well - and was a bit disappointed myself... all 4 were mounted in the same direction - had to have 2 remounted.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #26
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

i've seen brand new runflats (lexus dealer, borrowing their roadforce) unbalanceable brand new. the wheels were near perfect (brand new) but never perfect. you can throw the rims alone on a wheel balancer to see if how straight they are. between handling and such they will never be perfect unless you are lucky or getting some custom 3 piece built for you. some a-hole @ ups probably drop them sometime in logistics. its highly likely.

tires are never perfect. which is why roadforce exists. between wheels that are not perfect and tires that are never perfect you will have some weights.

the bottom line is if the quality of ride is not acceptable they should be returned; but defects do occurr.

We assume new wheels and new tires are perfect. The industry understands that is not possible. The roadforce can help fix the misunderstanding but the fact remains it will never be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #27
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
You bought cheep wheels right? That's what happens.
Wow nice response...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #28
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I would have put them on and gotten on with life. Go look at the dealers cars and you will see 2 - 4 ounce weights gallor. One of my stockers has 4 ounces on the inside and 3ounces of stick ons (nice long strip) on the outside and the dots line up.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #29
rsolomon4806
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I purchased 19" BBS Ch with Goodyear f1's from tirerack and all 4 heels/tire combo's had to be rebalanced. The tech who did it for me basically said that the machine that was used by tirerack was out of calibration. The tech removed between 2 and 3 oz per wheel. Tirerack was great and reimbursed me for work and gave me a free contikit to boot.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #30
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

As the tire wears you will lose part of the balance. If you hit a pot hole you may lose a little/lot of balance and need to adjust the balance. So, in the end I would have not returned them. I would have let them know about it.

However, if you are really that upset it's up to you.

I'm picking up a new set of Forgeline 19's next Monday. I'll try to remember how much weight they put on.
      07-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #31
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsolomon4806 View Post
I purchased 19" BBS Ch with Goodyear f1's from tirerack and all 4 heels/tire combo's had to be rebalanced. The tech who did it for me basically said that the machine that was used by tirerack was out of calibration. The tech removed between 2 and 3 oz per wheel. Tirerack was great and reimbursed me for work and gave me a free contikit to boot.
I am surprised they would allow the machine to go out of calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan93rsa View Post
As the tire wears you will lose part of the balance. If you hit a pot hole you may lose a little/lot of balance and need to adjust the balance. So, in the end I would have not returned them. I would have let them know about it.

However, if you are really that upset it's up to you.

I'm picking up a new set of Forgeline 19's next Monday. I'll try to remember how much weight they put on.
They went back, I have no luck with online wheel purchases.
      07-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #32
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

Quote:
They went back, I have no luck with online wheel purchases.
What do you think you'll do next? Good luck.