E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Swirl Flaps

04-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #23
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
On the newer engines the actuator can still fail, but that is not the same as an older failure. On the older swirl flap design the flap could come loose and actually fly down the intake and possibly make it into the cylinder causing serious issues. This hasn't happened on the updated version that I know of. Also, at least for the US version most of the actuator failures are probably due to carbon buildup so you don't need a new intake, you just need to clean up the flaps and rod
Thanks for this valuable information, I appreciate this.

I will take my car to some garage and ask them to clean this up - however I have an EU version, but I assume that it is heavily soiled.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #24
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

the early cars have metal swirl flaps, the screws come lose and it ends with a trashed engine and turbo/s.

when I asked an independent dealer he said the later cars went to plastic flaps without a screw.... then said, but they still break and still trash the engine!!!

he says they play up at around 100k miles and best option is to put them in the bin where they belong and fit blanking bungs on either old or later cars... he then went on to say most owners can't even feel the difference

he charges around £250 to sort it
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #25
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

The newer ones are captured flaps. Its possible for the flap to still end up in the engine but the airflow would have to bend the flap enough to fit it through the hole which is smaller than the flap specifically to keep the flap from ending up in the engine. I guess it could happen though
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #26
cryptomit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
the early cars have metal swirl flaps, the screws come lose and it ends with a trashed engine and turbo/s.

when I asked an independent dealer he said the later cars went to plastic flaps without a screw.... then said, but they still break and still trash the engine!!!

he says they play up at around 100k miles and best option is to put them in the bin where they belong and fit blanking bungs on either old or later cars... he then went on to say most owners can't even feel the difference

he charges around £250 to sort it
Yep, maybe, but I haven't heard from anyone about this issue, I mean I din't find any topic who wrote that his flap/s broke and trash the engine. I read about manifold intake replacement but it probably was caused by coking flaps, going forward a dirt which is in the intake makes the flaps working hard.

I will let you know what was my issue, I will have it sorted next week, my mechanic will take a look into manifold intake, clean it and check if the flaps are loose.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #27
cryptomit
Captain
Rep

Ok, guys, I cleaned intake manifold and all works great, there was a lot of carbon black and 4E0F DDE Swirl flaps, plausibility code doesn't show up anymore. Car works much much better from low rpms and car reacts better/quicker to a gas pedal. All is fine now and I'm happy.
Appreciate 1