E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - BMW Performance Intake Installation

01-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #23
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
intake

anyone know if this intake will work w/ a 2008 E90 335xi ?

thanks, dave
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #24
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
anyone know if this intake will work w/ a 2008 E90 335xi ?

thanks, dave
I'm afraid not. I believe this is only compatible to 2006 and later 325, 328, 330 (i and xi). This is per Tischer and BMW accessories web sites.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #25
shedridc
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe 6 speed sport

additional comments

I have just had the performance air filter installed by my dealer, but only have had a few days with it. I think it feels a bit more responsive, not sure about any changes in the sound as have not had it wide open due to snow and ice here lately. I calculate the inlet area to the filter box intake channel is about 67% larger than the stock unit.
As with most things dealers do, I thoroughly checked the install, and noticed the rear portion of the cover did not seem secure. I notice there is a clip at the rear that is supposed to hold it down to the original rear portion of the box that was not secure. I found that, at least for my car, I had to remove the screws on cover at the rear to separate the air guide from the underneath side of the cover. Then I could clip the air guide down and then secure the cover to it with the screws.
BTW, I find this rear air guide rather curious. It ducts only a very small portion of air from the vicinity of the car ventilation fresh air inlet duct to the air filter box. The small amount of air cannot possibly be needed for improving the engine breathing. The only thing I can think of is those clever German engineers are using this small duct to transfer some controlled amount of the intake sound we all love to the cockpit perhaps through the ventilation fresh air duct. It is a lot of trouble to go through for anything else. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
You did not mention anything about the stock second filter element in the rear portion of the box. Does that remain in place, or did the instructions say to remove it? I am curious if that is still there - I did not disassemble mine enough to see that.
The new filter element appears to be a K&N filter - the type that is cotton in a wire frame and oiled and is washable. I have had these before and I am quite sure that is what it is. Did the instructions mention anything about that? That is an added bonus advantage for this filter.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #26
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedridc View Post
I have just had the performance air filter installed by my dealer, but only have had a few days with it. I think it feels a bit more responsive, not sure about any changes in the sound as have not had it wide open due to snow and ice here lately. I calculate the inlet area to the filter box intake channel is about 67% larger than the stock unit.
As with most things dealers do, I thoroughly checked the install, and noticed the rear portion of the cover did not seem secure. I notice there is a clip at the rear that is supposed to hold it down to the original rear portion of the box that was not secure. I found that, at least for my car, I had to remove the screws on cover at the rear to separate the air guide from the underneath side of the cover. Then I could clip the air guide down and then secure the cover to it with the screws.
BTW, I find this rear air guide rather curious. It ducts only a very small portion of air from the vicinity of the car ventilation fresh air inlet duct to the air filter box. The small amount of air cannot possibly be needed for improving the engine breathing. The only thing I can think of is those clever German engineers are using this small duct to transfer some controlled amount of the intake sound we all love to the cockpit perhaps through the ventilation fresh air duct. It is a lot of trouble to go through for anything else. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
You did not mention anything about the stock second filter element in the rear portion of the box. Does that remain in place, or did the instructions say to remove it? I am curious if that is still there - I did not disassemble mine enough to see that.
The new filter element appears to be a K&N filter - the type that is cotton in a wire frame and oiled and is washable. I have had these before and I am quite sure that is what it is. Did the instructions mention anything about that? That is an added bonus advantage for this filter.

He kept the "second" air filter that is attached to the rear of the air box(side closer to the TB).
///Mods: Xpel front clip wrap, Nokya 2500k H8 halos, matte grills, IND reflectors, scoops, MS drop-in, MS track pipes, Dinan exhaust, 240E, ESS tune, BBS CHR, s04 255x35 295x30, KW Clubsports, ceramic pads
Retired: 08' E92 328i JB 6mt 212 rwhp 190 rwtq
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #27
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedridc View Post
Yes, the stock rear filter and housing stay. Only the front filter and housing are to be replaced. See Figs 9 and 10. Fig 10 shows your "new" housing components.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #28
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokimster View Post
He kept the "second" air filter that is attached to the rear of the air box(side closer to the TB).
Confirmed! You're fast Mike. When's your exhaust arriving?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #29
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l l a n View Post
Confirmed! You're fast Mike. When's your exhaust arriving?
It got shipped out of Tischer BMW yesterday, so it looks like I will get it by next Tuesday hopefully.
///Mods: Xpel front clip wrap, Nokya 2500k H8 halos, matte grills, IND reflectors, scoops, MS drop-in, MS track pipes, Dinan exhaust, 240E, ESS tune, BBS CHR, s04 255x35 295x30, KW Clubsports, ceramic pads
Retired: 08' E92 328i JB 6mt 212 rwhp 190 rwtq
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #30
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

this will be very very useful Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #31
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Great DIY!!!

Just completed it. Just one problem. I ended up stripping the plastic screw up near the windshield. Looks like Im going to have to drill it out and get another one.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #32
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
Great DIY!!!

Just completed it. Just one problem. I ended up stripping the plastic screw up near the windshield. Looks like Im going to have to drill it out and get another one.
Congrats! Guess you finally decided to get the missing piece of the combo
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #33
Bimmer325
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

i have just got the intake system but its different from yours. the air filter comes in round shape with metal mesh on it, they say its the European version for our cars in asia.
325i Arctics M-Sport, Gray Leather with Alu Trim, ///M DCT Paddleshift, ///M Gear Knob, BBS LM-R 19", Michelin PS2, KW V2, H&R Anti Roll Bars, BMW Performance Air Intake System, 3D Front Lip, ACS Roof Spoiler, OEM Boot Spoiler, Osram 6000K, Brex White Ring, PIAA 6200K HID Fog, PIAA License Plate LED, BMS Powerbox
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
bernjee82
cibai kia!
United_States
Rep
Drives: el coche

those of you who did this, were you guys able to get the hook at the end of the intake housing cover to latch to the intake housing? when i did mine, the intake housing cover couldnt latch to the housing because the upper air guide was in the way. any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #35
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernjee82 View Post
those of you who did this, were you guys able to get the hook at the end of the intake housing cover to latch to the intake housing? when i did mine, the intake housing cover couldnt latch to the housing because the upper air guide was in the way. any ideas?
I'd love an answer to this question, as I had the same problems. Without that bottom hook, it doesn't seem like a very closed system
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #36
TSXforme
Stock watcher
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mmy View Post
I'd love an answer to this question, as I had the same problems. Without that bottom hook, it doesn't seem like a very closed system
What I did for this bottom hook was loosen the 6 screws for the intake cover. Putting my thumbs ontop of the cover, I used my fingers to reach and grab the rear half of the intake covers and squeezed them together until I heard a snap. Once I saw the bottom was clipped on, then you tighten the screws on the intake cover.

There might be a better way to do this, but it this worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #37
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs8 View Post
What I did for this bottom hook was loosen the 6 screws for the intake cover. Putting my thumbs ontop of the cover, I used my fingers to reach and grab the rear half of the intake covers and squeezed them together until I heard a snap. Once I saw the bottom was clipped on, then you tighten the screws on the intake cover.

There might be a better way to do this, but it this worked for me.
I'll try that. Is this before or after you secured the carbon intake channel and the air box with the torque screws / 10mm. screws?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #38
TSXforme
Stock watcher
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
After I secured the carbon intake channel. I tried it the other way, got the rear hook to click in, but I had a hell of a time trying to get the carbon intake to fit into the lid.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #39
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs8 View Post
After I secured the carbon intake channel. I tried it the other way, got the rear hook to click in, but I had a hell of a time trying to get the carbon intake to fit into the lid.
Thanks. Assuming I can't get the hook to fit in place, do you think it being unhooked will affect performance? It'll be slightly open, but I can't imagine with the hood down that it will make that much difference
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #40
bernjee82
cibai kia!
United_States
Rep
Drives: el coche

hahah finally some one answered my question! i am going to try it too and see if i can get it to latch.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #41
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
awesome write up
      02-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #42
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernjee82 View Post
hahah finally some one answered my question! i am going to try it too and see if i can get it to latch.
Let me know please. I struggled for quite some time and it just seemed there was always something preventing it from happening
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #43
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
I also had a little problem getting it to close properly but was able to somehow get it done. Can't remember exactly how I did it though since it has been a long time. One thing though, close the lid one section at a time and work your way until the whole thing has snapped into place. Easier said than done... but just take your time and be patient.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #44
TSXforme
Stock watcher
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
one thing i can also think of is that you may want to also try to is to loosen the 10mm(???) bolts that secure the air box in addition to the screws i mentioned a few posts up. in doing so it would allow for a bit more movement, which will allow you to lift the air box up to snap it to the cover.

the steps are a bit foggy since it's been a while since i installed my performance intake.
Appreciate 0