E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Contemplating E92 Non i-Drive to E92 LCI i-drive

08-03-2016, 04:02 AM   #1
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TIAG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Contemplating E92 Non i-Drive to E92 LCI i-drive

Hey guys, so im working with someone who i could possibly take his dash, and all necessary parts for the i-drive retrofit.

Couple of questions,

1. Wiring wise, what has to be done on both my car and his (considering my non i-drive setup would be going into his car and the i-drive into mine.

2. Will his car have any issues besides coding to run without i-drive?

I have taken full dashboards out of these cars before just not to familiar with the whole wiring scheme if its not originally wired for CIC.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER_Tech 631
Hey guys, so im working with someone who i could possibly take his dash, and all necessary parts for the i-drive retrofit.

Couple of questions,

1. Wiring wise, what has to be done on both my car and his (considering my non i-drive setup would be going into his car and the i-drive into mine.

I have taken full dashboards out of these cars before just not to familiar with the whole wiring scheme if its not originally wired for CIC.
Pretty straight forward, on yours you will need a CIC emulator, on his it would be a simple plug and play for non idrive and then of course coding for both cars, I just did non idrive to idrive in my car and I can say it was VERY easy, coding isn't too bad either if you have someone that can do it, I have a remote coder who is amazing
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik View Post
Pretty straight forward, on yours you will need a CIC emulator, on his it would be a simple plug and play for non idrive and then of course coding for both cars, I just did non idrive to idrive in my car and I can say it was VERY easy, coding isn't too bad either if you have someone that can do it, I have a remote coder who is amazing
+ 1.

I hope you both have the same sound setup from factory as While A CIC Headunit can be easily coded to different sound settings. Professional Radio is little bit more tricky. But a good coder could always code it in for you. ie, TOP-HIFI vs Hifi.
      08-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER_Tech 631

Couple of questions,

So I've seen people having to re-wire stuff to supply power to the CIC, this isn't the case then?
      08-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik View Post
+ 1.

I hope you both have the same sound setup from factory as While A CIC Headunit can be easily coded to different sound settings. Professional Radio is little bit more tricky. But a good coder could always code it in for you. ie, TOP-HIFI vs Hifi.
I have professional radio in he has the Harmon and Kodon system, if I was to swap out our boxes from the trunk and recode it would that make a difference?
      08-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER_Tech 631 View Post
I have professional radio in he has the Harmon and Kodon system, if I was to swap out our boxes from the trunk and recode it would that make a difference?
It would be easier to figure if you have a Top-HIFI Sound Setup in your Non-idrive car. One sure fire way to tell is if you have an equalizer setting in the audio menu. (Or center dash speaker and rear side speakers).

If not you are in for another world of wiring his car after the swap.
      08-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
No, the wiring is completely different between Top HIFI (Logic7 and Harmon/Kardon) and the lower audio systems. It's much easier to keep your audio system if it's not Top HIFI and code the CIC accordingly.

You can have professional radio with any audio system, so determine if you have Top HIFI or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #8
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
Quote:
No, the wiring is completely different between Top HIFI (Logic7 and Harmon/Kardon) and the lower audio systems. It's much easier to keep your audio system if it's not Top HIFI and code the CIC accordingly.

You can have professional radio with any audio system, so determine if you have Top HIFI or not.
I have EQ settings in my radio and rear and top mount speakers, so my question is regarding wiring the CIC unit and controller, what would I need to do.