E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke Short Shifter Help

01-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #23
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkaz View Post
here is only one thing about the 335 that irks me, and it is the 1-2 shift!
Even with your CDV?
      01-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #24
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewflk View Post
This really blows. I usually don’t ever order anything until I see a customer review but I decided to take a chance and ordered this SSK last week. I don’t have access to a lift so I’ll have to pay someone for an install.

I knew it came with a modified carrier but I thought it was done to improve the performance. Is there any chance that the carrier was modified to improve the geometry rather than just to fit an existing lever? (It actually looks like all AA shift kits come with a modified carrier)

Down4it - Thanks for the review!
Nothing about the carrier does anything for performance trust me... It just has a machined adapter on it to fit their universal Lever... They didnt even include the stock clips for the carrier so if you break yours while pulling it off you are screwed... Just a G@Y company trying to sell us crap for a lot of money... Active Autowerke is a big I should have waited for the UUC... They usually make the best SSK for BMW...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #25
san~man
Tired
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
It is a really good SSK IMO I'm just really upset with the lack of information and the E36 M3 instruction manual...
How does this compare to the OEM SSK (assuming you've driven one with it)?
      01-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #26
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
How does this compare to the OEM SSK (assuming you've driven one with it)?
The throws are shorter on the AA than the OEM SSK and it feels better going into the gears... I have the AA SSK and the CDV mod so the car shifts really nice now but its not like a SSK on a STI or EVO where 1st to 2nd is like 2 inches... It makes 1st to 2nd a lot faster to get into than it used to be...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #27
san~man
Tired
Rep

Quote:
The throws are shorter on the AA than the OEM SSK and it feels better going into the gears... I have the AA SSK and the CDV mod so the car shifts really nice now but its not like a SSK on a STI or EVO where 1st to 2nd is like 2 inches... It makes 1st to 2nd a lot faster to get into than it used to be...
Good to know, thanks! How much shorter would you say the throw is between the 2?

I've already bought the OEM SSK (couldn't pass it up at the price) and the Riss CDV, and will have my friend put it in sometime in the next two weeks. Even though the throw may not be as short as the AA unit, I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement over stock.
      01-28-2008, 01:01 AM   #28
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know, thanks! How much shorter would you say the throw is between the 2?

I've already bought the OEM SSK (couldn't pass it up at the price) and the Riss CDV, and will have my friend put it in sometime in the next two weeks. Even though the throw may not be as short as the AA unit, I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement over stock.
Its like a 5% difference anyway... Trust me i would have went with the OEM if i knew about this whole extra carrier part before i bought the damn thing...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #29
san~man
Tired
Rep

Quote:
Its like a 5% difference anyway... Trust me i would have went with the OEM if i knew about this whole extra carrier part before i bought the damn thing...
Thanks again for the info. Your experience will surely help others in their decision
      01-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #30
youngbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks again for the info. Your experience will surely help others in their decision
Much obliged down4it!
      01-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #31
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Nothing about the carrier does anything for performance trust me... It just has a machined adapter on it to fit their universal Lever... They didnt even include the stock clips for the carrier so if you break yours while pulling it off you are screwed... Just a G@Y company trying to sell us crap for a lot of money... Active Autowerke is a big I should have waited for the UUC... They usually make the best SSK for BMW...
Thanks for the input man... I immediately asked AA for pics and some details about the kit and they would not get back to me about my questions.

I feel bad you had to put up w/that crap but you've done us a great favor (took one for the team tho, unfortunately).

Yeah the UUC one looks really good and I wish they would just move along already and release one for E92s.
      01-28-2008, 02:22 AM   #32
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186 View Post
Thanks for the input man... I immediately asked AA for pics and some details about the kit and they would not get back to me about my questions.

I feel bad you had to put up w/that crap but you've done us a great favor (took one for the team tho, unfortunately).

Yeah the UUC one looks really good and I wish they would just move along already and release one for E92s.
With the UUC one you have to modify the carrier too but it doesnt look like you have to remove it, just install an adapter with 2 screws, looks like it can be done with an allen key... UUC already released the SSK for the 335 and the exhaust... Go on the site and in the search just type 335i.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #33
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Even with your CDV?
It got better, but it is still not so great, especially compared to the rest of the shifts on this car.

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #34
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

thanks a lot for this info down4it! much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #35
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sorry for the lack of info. Anyone having issues with install please give us a call, 305.233.9300. We will have a tech answer any questions regarding install.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #36
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
When designing our short shifter our first objective was to obtain a shorter throw by creating a higher mechanical leverage. Most short shifter kits become notchy after doing this. The "machined adapter" is not designed for a universal lever it is actually designed so the shifting action still follows the factory motion/plane. Without this "machined adapter" the whole system would be off and the plane would not be parralel causing the shifter to be extremely notchy.

As far as the clips not being included I apologize for this. The instructions do state that we include clips but the first 30 kits did not have this included due to an error on our part. We have already adressed this issue.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #37
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

i sat in the aa 335 on sat the shifts felt amazing ! I have not felt the oem but i do like the idea of the shift knob being in the same spot with shorter shifts.

I loved it
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #38
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I don't care how it feels... with an install like that I don't think I'll be touching that with a 10ft pole. I ordered the OEM short shift lever and with the shorter M knob it should feel pretty good. Only thing that blows is that I ordered the damn thing a few weeks ago and still haven't gotten it.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #39
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibusta69 View Post
i sat in the aa 335 on sat the shifts felt amazing ! I have not felt the oem but i do like the idea of the shift knob being in the same spot with shorter shifts.

I loved it
It is a good kit and it does feel great but its just not right to do what AA did to get them out faster without proper instructions, pictures, or clips... I still have it in my car with the AA logo on the Shift knob, so im a little pissed but its a nice kit and its in already so thats that... On to the next mod...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #40
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
It is a good kit and it does feel great but its just not right to do what AA did to get them out faster without proper instructions, pictures, or clips... I still have it in my car with the AA logo on the Shift knob, so im a little pissed but its a nice kit and its in already so thats that... On to the next mod...
How come you cannot release picture of AA products that you have purchased? Help me understand that part pls.
      01-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #41
san~man
Tired
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
How come you cannot release picture of AA products that you have purchased? Help me understand that part pls.
He probably didn't take any pics of it prior to installation. There was a pic of the parts posted earlier.
      01-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #42
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
I posted pics of all the stock parts removed, that is what comes in the kit but AA's version... I could not take pics of the actual AA parts because they are installed in my car and i did not have a camera at the time of installation, plus its not my responsibility to post pics of AA's SSK, i will leave that to AA.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #43
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
I posted pics of all the stock parts removed, that is what comes in the kit but AA's version... I could not take pics of the actual AA parts because they are installed in my car and i did not have a camera at the time of installation, plus its not my responsibility to post pics of AA's SSK, i will leave that to AA.
My mistake, I got confused in reading all the replies. It is all clear to me now with your above statement.

Just to add my own experience, I have done a DIY oem SSK on an e90i 330 without a lift and I do not have to mess with the shift carrier and I tell ya, it was some what of a pain to work undeneath the car with only jacks (very little room). I can only imagine what it would have been if I had to remove the additional carrier. Have a safe mod everyone when working underneath your car. When in doubt, ask question and don't push it or rush it.
      01-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #44
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
Sorry for the lack of info. Anyone having issues with install please give us a call, 305.233.9300. We will have a tech answer any questions regarding install.
Do you really need to drop the trans? Do I need a lift to do this? I know I can call but I think a bunch of us have the same question...

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Appreciate 0