BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Porsches in Canada come with a 4 year/80000 km warranty.Brakes are covered by the 1 year 20000 km adjustment warranty.We usually have this problem with my wifes cars as she drives too easy to keep the rotors clean so I need to drive her car every few weeks to clean them up.Most manufactures warranty are similar to Porsche's on brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #24
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
No, it's my advice on how to get rid of the rust on the rotors.I've done it on an empty road and it worked for me. Not sure if it will work for him as his case seems to be bad. Brake pads need to be bedded in gently.
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...

Pads and rotors can be cleaned in a similar fashion to bedding. Need to better understand how bad the brakes are first though.

Obviously the dealer would love for him to buy new brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Don't do this Nick! your breaks are your first line of defence don't gamble with your life. Follow your claim and go ofter the head .... in this case Porsche AG Germany to put this dealership in it's place.

BTW. was your warranty only one year? or did you purchase this Porsche 2nd hand and it came only with a 1 year warranty extension part of the price you paid? Was the warranty issue not explained to you properly? I'm just wondering, perhaps things are different in Canada.
ok thanks rolf

no, it was bought brand spanking new and only serviced by them.

regarding the warranty - honestly we had no idea - we didnt read it - we assumed it was similar to mercedes/jag/ not bmw as i know, but generally all in the same vein...
      12-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #26
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Don't do this Nick! your breaks are your first line of defence don't gamble with your life. Follow your claim and go ofter the head .... in this case Porsche AG Germany to put this dealership in it's place.

BTW. was your warranty only one year? or did you purchase this Porsche 2nd hand and it came only with a 1 year warranty extension part of the price you paid? Was the warranty issue not explained to you properly? I'm just wondering, perhaps things are different in Canada.
Geez Rolf!Jump right in with your opinions before you understand the facts!

Going out & rebedding the brakes is not dangerous at all if you have any common sense.Pick the right location with no traffic and all should be good.I have to do this every time I put my track or street pads back in.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Porsches in Canada come with a 4 year/80000 km warranty.Brakes are covered by the 1 year 20000 km adjustment warranty.We usually have this problem with my wifes cars as she drives too easy to keep the rotors clean so I need to drive her car every few weeks to clean them up.Most manufactures warranty are similar to Porsche's on brakes.
in our case, its driven like a grandmother's car (at least brakes-wise, honestly, the ten times i drive it, i dont even drive it hard)

Jay: thks for the input, me too, i thought it would not be a huge issue
even after my salesman told me not to worry at all - he said once we send pics to Porsche germany it will all be covered - and well, of course not.
      12-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #28
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...

Pads and rotors can be cleaned in a similar fashion to bedding. Need to better understand how bad the brakes are first though.

Obviously the dealer would love for him to buy new brakes
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #29
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Geez Rolf!Jump right in with your opinions before you understand the facts!

Going out & rebedding the brakes is not dangerous at all if you have any common sense.Pick the right location with no traffic and all should be good.I have to do this every time I put my track or street pads back in.
I've done quite a few brake jobs in my time and think I know what I am talking about.

Nick is talking about rust ... therefore if rust is the issue then re-bedding has absolutely nothing to do with it. I am concerned about the failure of rusted components of his brake assembly and therefore I voiced my concern.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #30
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've done quite a few brake jobs in my time and think I know what I am talking about.

Nick is talking about rust ... therefore if rust is the issue then re-bedding has absolutely nothing to do with it. I am concerned about the failure of rusted components of his brake assembly and therefore I voiced my concern.
On a 12 month rotor this not a concern.Cleaning the friction surface of the disc will more than likely solve the issue.I deal with this daily in my job on vehicles that sit in our inventory.I rarely ever have changed rotors for rust unless they are worn undersize.Rolf I really feel that you are giving advice on something that you have very little experiance in dealing with and armchair experiance counts for nothing in this case!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #31
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Listen to Rolf, don't listen to Bteam.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #32
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On a 12 month rotor this not a concern.Cleaning the friction surface of the disc will more than likely solve the issue.I deal with this daily in my job on vehicles that sit in our inventory.I rarely ever have changed rotors for rust unless they are worn undersize.Rolf I really feel that you are giving advice on something that you have very little experiance in dealing with and armchair experiance counts for nothing in this case!
How dare you even say such a thing? You don't know me other then saying hello on the track as I recall. I have a Phd in Mechanical Engineering earned in Germany after a 4 year hands on apprenticeship and 9 years university. I've owned many cars in my life and over 60% of them worked on them myself.

In case you have not read my previous post my concern is rusted parts and components as described by Nick something you seam to completely overlook.

What you describe I do as a routine after every car wash I take my car for a brief run around the block to remove the accumulated rust film that build up during a car wash on your rotor.

The post is about rusted brakes what makes you the expert to certify break components you have not seen as roadworthy? Are you really prepared to blindly give this advise to someone without having seen a rusted brake the associated components thereof and the ramifications advise like yours might bring?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #33
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

FYI

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/12/01...increase-life/
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #34
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
How dare you even say such a thing? You don't know me other then saying hello on the track as I recall. I have a Phd in Mechanical Engineering earned in Germany after a 4 year hands on apprenticeship and 9 years university. I've owned many cars in my life and over 60% of them worked on them myself.

In case you have not read my previous post my concern is rusted parts and components as described by Nick something you seam to completely overlook.

The post is about rusted brakes what makes you the expert to certify break components you have not seen as roadworthy? Are you really prepared to blindly give this advise to someone without having seen a rusted brake the associated components thereof and the ramifications advise like yours might bring?
Have a nice day Rolf!I stand by my previous statement.My knowlege is from day to day experiance on cars that have been built in the last few years.Rebedding the brakes properly will probally solve the issue and is worth a shot if Porsche will not pay the tab.More info here.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #35
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
SehrSchnell

No worries I don't bite I just get a bit excited when people make assumptions and give advice to others that could result in a fatal outcome, we are talking about a performance car here and not some chevy or such LOL

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 12-07-2011 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: minor addition
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #36
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Sorry, your warranty is over so I don't see why you are pissed. I hope it works out though.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #37
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
SehrSchnell

No worries I don't bite I just get a bit excited when people make assumptions and give advice to others that could result in a fatal outcome, we are talking about a performance car here and not some chevy or such LOL
Would you care to elaborate on my advice being dangerous .Especially when I stated where this should be done for safety!
Appreciate 0