E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Issues with Lights in the Car and FRM (Any help appreciated)

03-21-2024, 01:14 PM   #1
Christophe_E92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M sport

Exclamation Issues with Lights in the Car and FRM (Any help appreciated)

Hello everyone, so I had some issues on my car with the brake lights turning on after the car was turned off. The car worked normally otherwise, but as soon as the key fob is taken out, brake lights will turn on and would not turn off. I was told here and in other places that the issue was the FRM, and this was corroborated by error codes relating to FRM shown to me by mechanics when I took the car in. That would be about 6 months ago when the car was taken in for an inspection an error code was given from OBD II reader relating to FRM. I was sure this was the issue, so I sent it to ECU Pro to get it repaired. They tested it and found no issues, showing a video of it working in another car, with no errors. Does anyone know how this could happen? Could the error be shown because my FRM was plugged in wrong, or could I be getting scammed? Any help is appreciated, really stuck on what to do now.

Last edited by Christophe_E92; 03-21-2024 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: clarifying issue
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 06:00 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe_E92 View Post
... The car worked normally otherwise, but as soon as the key fob is taken out, brake lights will turn on
and would not turn off... corroborated by error codes relating to FRM shown to me by mechanics when I took the
car in... [NEED CODES]... They tested it [FRM] and found no issues, showing a video of it working in another car,
with no errors... could I be getting scammed?
Probably NO ONE here is OLD enough to remember "Dragnet": "Just the Facts, Ma'm". Conspiracy theories
thrive when one does NOT know "HOW Things Work" (the WHOLE Truth ;-).

So we can be sure we are presenting the correct FACTS/ Wiring diagrams, please provide:
1) Last-7 Characters of your VIN (for ISTA Info)?
2) Make/Model of Scan Tool available to you? Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA)?
3) Fault Codes read in Fault Memory of CAS & FRM Modules? If you Don't have Scan Tool, get Codes read @ AutoZone, etc.
4) Do you have a Multimeter to test wiring? $10 at HFT or Amazon.
5) Do ALL THREE (3) brake lights (L,R,High) light when Remote Key removed?
6) Does RADIO remain ON when you remove Key?
7) Can you LOCK Doors using Remote Key after removing key?
8) With Doors Locked, do brake lights go OFF after ~ 15 minutes?
9) Have you recently had water in Driver Footwell?

See attached ISTA diagrams for (1) CAS (activates Brake Light Switch via KLR) and (2) FRM which powers Brake Lights
when INPUT/ Signal received from Brake Light Switch. The Brake Light Switch is "S29" in the Diagrams. There is a reason for
the behavior, such as an issue with Brake Light Switch, CAS Module, or the wiring/connectors involved. This is NOT a
"Commonly-reported" issue, but we can suggest TESTS YOU can do if you answer the questions above.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0