E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crank no start help!

03-21-2024, 09:25 PM   #1
Wafflebot
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Crank no start help!

As the title suggests I have a crank no start issue, I have a 2006 325i n52 engine manual trans I bought for cheap from a friend's brother. The brother put an used engine in after going through and putting all new seals on it and once he put the engine back in it was not running, he "diagnosed" it as a bad dme. For preface I'm decent at electrical diag, and somewhat complicated electrical issues, however i don't have a ton of experience with automotive but had an impulse and now I have it. I started by getting it cleaned up and seeing what I'm working with. I made sure everything was connected in the engine bay and I got a hot battery on it after fixing a broken fuse block on the battery and cleaning some corrosion off on the dme connectors( dme was in the passenger seat when i bought it and had/had no corrosion) i can get the dash to light up and it has just about every warning light I can see on. Of course it cranks but will not fire, fuel pump comes on, i have pressure at my fuel rail, and I have no spark. I attempted to hook a basic code reader to it and could not get any communication, the code reader is getting power just not reading. At that point I got a K+Dcan cable, a laptop, and installed bmw standard tools so I can check individual modules( I did check all fuses first as well as fuse power in the Dme box under the hood) with inpa the only module I'm not communicating with is the dme. With no communication with the dme I'm back to the drawing board. My plan is to repin the once corroded pins on the dme harness due to not being able to guarantee I got them clean perfectly and that being a possible communication error. I would definitely appreciate a size on the connector pins if anyone knows them as well as a good crimping tool for those( I have a crimper for larger terminals but not small like those). Finally odd notes, the dme relay, fuel injector relay, and spark coil relay all click every 6 seconds. On the click it loses the ground for less than a second at the dme relay. This occurs regardless of key on or not. Upon jumping the relay out, whether it's giving it a dedicated ground or just jumping the hot, the electric water pump kicks on full power, and still crank no start. Also my wipers seem to be stuck in service mode and do not move.
That's all the information I have at this time, any help or guidance anyone can offer would be great
Dme is a MSV70
CAS2 module
JBBF87 junction box
Last 7 of vin is KR58005
The message I get when checking with the dme through inpa is an error stating no response from control unit, that hold true when checking the other modules that communicate with the dme. I don't believe the dme is bad either but it could be possible if it secretly got water damaged and was cleaned up, I do have another dme that is from a 330i (came with the car as well) and inpa will not communicate with it either
I do apologize for the long winded paragraph, but I've been on quite a few forums on here and know the more info I can give the better someone can point me in the right direction, I also only have bmw standard tools at this time as I have not found a good crack/torrent for ista-D and ista-p also I only have basic tools( fieldpiece multimeter, standard hand tools, but am willing to expand if I need specific tools, like ,based on some forums I've read, I'm looking at getting an oscilloscope due to my communication issue. Thanks in advance for any help and I also apologize for any lacking information.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 08:58 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebot View Post
... crank no start... 2006 325i n52 engine manual trans... it cranks but will not fire, fuel pump comes on, i have pressure at my fuel rail, and I have no spark... I got a K+Dcan cable, a laptop, and installed bmw standard tools so I can check individual modules... with inpa the only module I'm not communicating with is the dme...
Dme is a MSV70; CAS2 module; JBBF87 junction box; Last 7 of vin is KR58005...
Welcome to the Forum!
ISTA would give you Documents: SSP Wiring Diagrams, REP Repair Procedures, etc. INPA gives you similar Data, in many instances BETTER than ISTA. So I would suggest to NOT worry about what you do NOT have (as long as you have a $10 Multimeter ;-). I'll furnish the Wiring Diagrams (see NEXT Post attachments). Let me know if you need "Symbols & Conventions" info.

FIRST Steps:
1) Use INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification; as well as > F3 AIF (User Information) & > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules. SAVE ScreenPrints of those Screens (~ 4 pages) and POST here.
2) Review the "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf attached below, for example screens & ScreenPrint Save Procedure.
3) Get INPA to Communicate with DME; If you do NOT have a line on "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification": "12 DME", with ADR (Address) 12, between "01 MRS" & "17 EKP", then:
a) there is NO Power Supply to DME (check X6454 Chassis Ground); or
b) there is NO PT-CAN Bus connection between DME & JBE; or
c) there is internal fault in DME.

See ISTA ScreenPrints attached to NEXT Post for wiring & component locations. If more specific info is desired, please advise.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (591.1 KB, 8 views)
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      03-22-2024, 09:02 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints for 2006 325i, related to DME Supply & PT-CAN, per prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      03-22-2024, 09:54 AM   #4
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

First, break up your long paragraphs and use line spaced between paragraphs.

You can be as long winded as you want, but, at least for me, it is hard for my eyes to follow.

Regarding your issues, see if it will start and run for a few seconds on starter fluid.
Appreciate 1
NZE90271.00
      03-23-2024, 11:23 AM   #5
Wafflebot
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thank yall for the response, I will check the wiring and get in inpa for the error screenprints most likely Sunday 03/24/24. I do apologize for the late response on my end. I work full time and can only work on my car during free time on weekends or if I get off early during the week.

Again thanks for the responses this has already been a help just being able to direct my diag better
Appreciate 0