E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW Performance Exhaust first impressions

09-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
penport
Surgeon General
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx

BMW Performance Exhaust first impressions

Further to some temptation from Anneka a few weeks ago I went ahead and got Sytner to supply and fit a BMW Performance Exhaust to my E92 330i.
I must admit I was a little fearful that I might be turning the car into something that sounds like a boy racer with one of those massive exhausts but I needn’t have worried. The car sounds very much the same from inside the cabin with the windows closed during “normal” driving – however it’s a different story above about 4000 rpm when the note is distinctly “throaty” and much more akin to the performance of the car. It now emits a lovely soft “burble” at idle and if you boot the throttle at idle it will “pop” nicely.
So there’s been much motoring with the windows down these last few days!

Appearances are not much different to the original however the chrome tips are thinner, crisper and of a higher quality. As you can see from the pics it’s only the back box that’s replaced on the 330i with the help of a new bracket.

I understand that the sounds deepens with a few miles under it’s belt so I’m looking forward to the next few months.

So all in all quite a subtle mod (SWMBO hasn’t noticed a difference) that comes alive when you give it some welly.

There are several videos on YouTube but this one gives the best indication of what it’s like in everyday driving:

Many thanks to the boys at Sytner Leicester for taking some pictures during the install:

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

nice, how much?

and.. SWMBO
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Butch
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE Auto

Garage List
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
nice, how much?

and.. SWMBO
+1

BMW E90 (2005) 330i SE Auto - E90Post Stickers, Exhaust Mod, Private Plates, Debadged, 19" Style 230 wheels, Toyo Non-RFT, MFD Scoops, K&N, Black Calipers/Hubs, 35% Rear Window Tints, Black/White Roundels, BMW Splitters, Blacklines, 12mm Rear Spacers, BMWP Knob... Future Mods - Drop?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
penport
Surgeon General
Rep

Price via Anneka was £535 all in
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

She Who Must Be Obeyed.

(or eBayed in some cases)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Sounds lovely!

Don't wish to alarm but the rear alloy in the photo looks like it has a crack in it? Or is it just some road dirt?
      09-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #7
nicko44
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by penport View Post
Further to some temptation from Anneka a few weeks ago I went ahead and got Sytner to supply and fit a BMW Performance Exhaust to my E92 330i.
I must admit I was a little fearful that I might be turning the car into something that sounds like a boy racer with one of those massive exhausts but I needn’t have worried. The car sounds very much the same from inside the cabin with the windows closed during “normal” driving – however it’s a different story above about 4000 rpm when the note is distinctly “throaty” and much more akin to the performance of the car. It now emits a lovely soft “burble” at idle and if you boot the throttle at idle it will “pop” nicely.
So there’s been much motoring with the windows down these last few days!
Does BMW claim any BHP increase for the performance exhaust on the 330i?
I seem to remember that it is primarily for a better soundtrack.

I had an Evolve remap of my E92 330i about 5 months ago, and there has been an appreciable change (for the better) in the exhaust note, more or less as you describe, a lot more throaty and a louder and more aggressive tone from 5000 rpm onwards. I also have had the window open a lot recently, especially going through the tunnel on the A27 behind Brighton!

My BHP is now in the region of the low 280's, and has put my car on a par with my daughter's heavier and higher geared E91 335d. 0 - 100 they are are absolutely neck and neck. Using a GPS to correct my speedo (which reads about 105/106 at a genuine 100), I am getting an average of 13.5 seconds. Which is not bad, but still a good way behind a stock 335i.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #8
penport
Surgeon General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Sounds lovely!

Don't wish to alarm but the rear alloy in the photo looks like it has a crack in it? Or is it just some road dirt?
Many thanks for your sharp observation
They're 18in wheels so cracks unlikely but I decided to take the wheel off and have a good look - just road grime
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #9
penport
Surgeon General
Rep

Quote:
Does BMW claim any BHP increase for the performance exhaust on the 330i?
I seem to remember that it is primarily for a better soundtrack.

I had an Evolve remap of my E92 330i about 5 months ago, and there has been an appreciable change (for the better) in the exhaust note, more or less as you describe, a lot more throaty and a louder and more aggressive tone from 5000 rpm onwards. I also have had the window open a lot recently, especially going through the tunnel on the A27 behind Brighton!

My BHP is now in the region of the low 280's, and has put my car on a par with my daughter's heavier and higher geared E91 335d. 0 - 100 they are are absolutely neck and neck. Using a GPS to correct my speedo (which reads about 105/106 at a genuine 100), I am getting an average of 13.5 seconds. Which is not bad, but still a good way behind a stock 335i.
They quote a 10bhp increase but TBH I haven't felt any noticeable difference - you're right it's the soundtrack that's the main benefit.

Not sure why a remap (which presumably gives only a modest increase in power in a NA car) would improve exhaust note - unless of course you're just exploiting the extra power
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #10
nicko44
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by penport View Post
They quote a 10bhp increase but TBH I haven't felt any noticeable difference - you're right it's the soundtrack that's the main benefit.

Not sure why a remap (which presumably gives only a modest increase in power in a NA car) would improve exhaust note - unless of course you're just exploiting the extra power
Evolve claim +13bhp for the remap on the 272hp (268bhp) 330i. Unfortunately I had not booked time on the rolling road, so as yet this has not been confirmed. As you say this is a relatively small increase, this being a NA car, but IMO worth having, and definitely noticeable on the road, and in the figures.

Sultan at Evolve told me to expect a change in the exhaust note, and this has definitely happened. But he also said, that the additional power and change in exhaust note would feed in gradually over several weeks or even longer. And this is also exactly what happened. Immediately post remap, there was a small change. Now 5 months later, the change has got bigger, and I can definitely feel the difference every day.

What I am wondering is whether the performance exhaust and the remap together would have a cumulative effect, ie a total of say 20bhp?? Probably that is just being greedy. If I need more performance it would make sense to get myself a 335i...................and then take that to Evolve.
Appreciate 0