E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > Stage 1's installed on first vehicle, ready to ship. Intro price $1299

09-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

My bad. I thought Stage 2s were going to be closer to $1999 (with the new flapper), which I was comparing to the intro price here of $1599 for Stage 1bs. Stage 2 pricing closer to $2499 I had not considered.

At any rate, for ~$700 more, still makes no sense to buy Stage 1(a,b,etc)... with all of the benefits of going to Stage 2. I have had worldwide feedback of attempts at Stage 1 upgrades. I have seen people actually lose power, likely from the more poorer mismatch in wheels that have occurred. The fact is that the 14T is a native TD04 wheel... in no other application will you see a 14T on a TD03 Shaft. In fact the TD03 Shaft typically employs a "7-10" series wheel with the "10" already equipped on these cars from the factory; in my opinion the turbine is about tapped out with the 10T. What this car does with the OEM turbos is nothing short of INSANE considering their size. And buying them brand new factory fresh with all the most modern Wastegate components for close to $1300 is a great deal.

Also if you are not replacing every Internal wastegate component, you should consider it, as they all wear extensively and aggressively over time. It is true that the flapper likely makes the most noise (much times attributed to poor actuator adjustment due to wastegate shaft/bushing wear over time), but the wastegate arm and bushing also wear into oblong shapes making the wastegate movement stick or cause other boost control issues- again along with being a contributor to wastegate rattle in itself. This is not an anomaly condition either, nearly all of the cores with some miles have this issue to the point of not being worth trying to pick through identifying the 5-10% that are still "acceptable". This holds true for either Stage 1 or Stage 2.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyturbo42 View Post
I'm a little confused on the $400 more? The stage 1A's are $1499 after intro price, stage 1B are $1799 thats $1000 and $700 difference respectively. Rob is def right though. The stage 2's are a LOT more work. The $2499 is not 100% set in stone yet. But it will be close to that.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-30-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
My bad. I thought Stage 2s were going to be closer to $1999 (with the new flapper), which I was comparing to the intro price here of $1599 for Stage 1bs. Stage 2 pricing closer to $2499 I had not considered.

At any rate, for ~$700 more, still makes no sense to buy Stage 1(a,b,etc)... with all of the benefits of going to Stage 2. I have had worldwide feedback of attempts at Stage 1 upgrades. I have seen people actually lose power, likely from the more poorer mismatch in wheels that have occurred. The fact is that the 14T is a native TD04 wheel... in no other application will you see a 14T on a TD03 Shaft. In fact the TD03 Shaft typically employs a "7-10" series wheel with the "10" already equipped on these cars from the factory; in my opinion the turbine is about tapped out with the 10T. What this car does with the OEM turbos is nothing short of INSANE considering their size. And buying them brand new factory fresh with all the most modern Wastegate components for close to $1300 is a great deal.

Also if you are not replacing every Internal wastegate component, you should consider it, as they all wear extensively and aggressively over time. It is true that the flapper likely makes the most noise (much times attributed to poor actuator adjustment due to wastegate shaft/bushing wear over time), but the wastegate arm and bushing also wear into oblong shapes making the wastegate movement stick or cause other boost control issues- again along with being a contributor to wastegate rattle in itself. This is not an anomaly condition either, nearly all of the cores with some miles have this issue to the point of not being worth trying to pick through identifying the 5-10% that are still "acceptable". This holds true for either Stage 1 or Stage 2.

Rob
Rob you are correct $1999 is the intro price for the stage 2's but only for the first 5 sets purchased. I will be announcing this later today or tomorrow. My web admin went live a little too soon as there is still a few issues I have with the site. They should all be fixed by tonight, going live tomorrow. We are addressing all aspects of the gates. Our flappers are being machined oversize and we are also machining the sleeve to accept our new flapper for a like new fit on all the wastegates valves. Also on the wheel size, I believe almost everyone who has tried stage 1's have gone with a 15T wheel or something similar. And yes that is a terrible match for the stock TD03 turbine. The 14T is a much better choice, were talking 4.0mm inducer and 5mm exducer over strock, compared to 6.4mm inducer and 10mm exducer over stock for the 15T thats a big difference when you are doubling the exducer size. All this speculation is a little pointless for right now. We will have a stage one car on a dyno next week. We shall see what we end up with. But so far the customers feedback is very positive from his first day driving the car. As always Rob thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by Tony@vargasturbotech; 09-30-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

RobBeck wrote; "Also if you are not replacing every Internal wastegate component, you should consider it, as they all wear extensively and aggressively over time."

Funny, it reminds me of the first time I examined the internal wastegate on old stock turbos. At first I thought 'how odd, the wastegate pivot was made with a free floating ball joint so it can pivot freely in all directions!' lol Then I found out they didn't make it that way, it was just worn out way beyond anything I had seen before.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #26
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+ | Colorado Z71

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
RobBeck wrote; "Also if you are not replacing every Internal wastegate component, you should consider it, as they all wear extensively and aggressively over time."

Funny, it reminds me of the first time I examined the internal wastegate on old stock turbos. At first I thought 'how odd, the wastegate pivot was made with a free floating ball joint so it can pivot freely in all directions!' lol Then I found out they didn't make it that way, it was just worn out way beyond anything I had seen before.
Haha, I'm sure that this is how mine are looking right now...