E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Spoke to SA...true or false

07-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Spoke to SA...true or false

my 06 330xi does not receive an Inspection II because its CBS vehicle...when i asked what CBS means and she responds "Conditioned Based vehicle.... my vehicle's maintenance doesnt call for an Inspection II because its a Conditioned Based Vehicle and adjusts to my style of driving and will require service when something is worn out, broke, etc"

i called because i just surpassed 60k and my red service light has been on...i did research and heard of a '60k service' and 'Inspection II' service as two different type of services....

one guy says the car is programmed to be serviced at 60k so the light comes on and can be reset myself...one guy says the inspection II is a glorified oil change and is bullsh## to recoup money from the free 50k maintenance....bla bla...

my car is due for an oil change right now...i dont mind paying 80 -130 for an oil change...i dont mind paying 200-250 for a comprehensive fluid change...i just dont know if i feel comfortable paying 800plus for an 'inspection II' or '60k service' if its just to be picked apart and looked at without something being replaced....

should i get the oil change, and see if any code comes up through the computer? is my car programmed to have a 60k service and the light would come up regardless if i needed service or not? what would you do at 60k?

thanks in advance

Last edited by 08rookie; 07-09-2010 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

True, but that doesn't mean it's right. BMW also calls for lifetime fluids that never need changing. I also have 2 bridges to sell.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
True, but that doesn't mean it's right. BMW also calls for lifetime fluids that never need changing. I also have 2 bridges to sell.
+1, CBS is true. No more Inspection I / II.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
ok, wouldnt the SA try to sell me on some sort of comprehensive service instead of telling me that my car only needs this and that...not sell me like she gets a commission but wouldnt a BMW service employee push all they could?!

what would you suggest?! oil change, brake flush, replace tranny fluid, coolant flush?! estimated cost?!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
+1, CBS is true. No more Inspection I / II.
so just a routine oil change? or a 60k service that includes x, y, z?! what would you prioritize from the list of things that can be done....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
ok, wouldnt the SA try to sell me on some sort of comprehensive service instead of telling me that my car only needs this and that...not sell me like she gets a commission but wouldnt a BMW service employee push all they could?!

what would you suggest?! oil change, brake flush, replace tranny fluid, coolant flush?! estimated cost?!
They really can't or they shouldn't because it will fly in the face of their advertisements/marketing.
Attached Images

If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I would definitely change the following:

1) Oil (15,000 miles or every year) mine is telling me 18,000 miles and 2 years!

2) Coolant every 20,000 - 30,000 miles or every 2 years

3) Auto Trans fluid every 20,000- 30,000 miles

Fluid is CHEAP. Repairs are expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

3) Auto Trans fluid every 20,000- 30,000 miles

i dont believe that tranny fluid is designed for life, even though bmw says so, but do you really need to address it every 20-30k?! is this a little too much in terms of preventative maintenance?

i have a quote of 150 from an indy to change oil, oil filter and rear dif fluid....i supply the engine oil and filter...he will supply the rear dif fluid
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
i dont believe that tranny fluid is designed for life, even though bmw says so, but do you really need to address it every 20-30k?! is this a little too much in terms of preventative maintenance?

i have a quote of 150 from an indy to change oil, oil filter and rear dif fluid....i supply the engine oil and filter...he will supply the rear dif fluid
If you think about it every 20,000 to 30,000 miles every 2-3 years is not bad. Also, if you DIY, it is dirt cheap. Here is my DIY link http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367729

I only recommended every 20,000-30,000 miles because I am not using fully synthetic oil (but is approved for the trans). Also, my DIY doesn't get all the oil out (ie: torque converter) therefore I want to change it more. I may do it for the heck of it at the end of this summer.

By the way, $150 is not bad (for the oil change and differential change), but with some tools you can DIY and save yourself the $150 bucks (those are not difficult jobs). There are step by step guides on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Even Inspection I and II with the M3 are determined by the computer and driving situation. Not sure what year car you had before, but this has been the standard for the past 10 years with BMW, at least the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
They really can't or they shouldn't because it will fly in the face of their advertisements/marketing.
I chuckle, because my SA (who actually seems like a decent guy, and the prices they charge seem reasonable based on what people here report having to pay) -- at the time of my last "free" visit in June -- gave me a two page list of maintenance services he/the dealership recommends now that my 'free maintenance is expired.

The real money in the free maintenance would come with brake jobs -- front and/or rear, but few of us put on enough miles in 4 years to require the service ... so for me, the free maintenance added up to 6 oil changes (4 annual and two CBS) 2 sets of wiper blades, one microfilter and a 30k inspection.

Getting a new sets of Continental tires in place of the Bridgestones at 9600 miles was nice, but that was warranty based on a service bulletin. Wheel alignments - not covered.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

When I have to start paying for maintenance myself I'm going to use an indy shop for all work. I have a great one in my area with BMW-trained techs and their prices are MUCH better than BMW's prices and in fact, I trust them more. They allow me to to watch right there in the bay. $75 for an oil change - they do my "in-betweens" now and all the mod work I don't want to do myself...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
bobbers114
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi

id change the tranny @ 40-50k oil still every 3k, need to get the coolant done though, tried, but they told me the need an adapter that only the dealer has..
Appreciate 0