E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rear induction tube issue

11-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Rear induction tube issue

Rbs are installed and I am having a Induction tube issue, I can get this to go on for nothing....it is not the bracket behind it....I have to literaly pry this thing to go and then it just pops off.....almost like it is not long enough? I may try removing the screws on the back to see if it frees up any play.

JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I had this same problem. Even got a new rubber piece and it still popped off . I gave up.
Next time I will use some Sort of coupler and put some clamps on it
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Known issue with the rear tube on any stock housing turbos. I had it happen to me on my first set of test turbos, we made an aluminum bracket that goes onto the top motor mount bolt and holds the pipe on 100%, no questions no guessing. Every set of turbos we will be shipping will get one. Whatever you do make sure you get it on, because if it pops off you will suck something into the turbo. A couple cars we swapped turbos on had a piece of wedge shape plastic stuck behind the pipe against the firewall, it seems to hold it on pretty well if you have nothing else. Just use a big pry bar and hold the tube on and wedge the piece between it and the firewall and tap it in a bit with a hammer to make sure it wont fall out. Besides making a bracket this is all I can offer in a way of making sure you don't ruin your new turbos with something sucked out of the engine bay.

Last edited by Tony@vargasturbotech; 11-21-2012 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Known issue with the rear tube on any stock housing turbos. I had it happen to me on my first set of test turbos, we made an aluminum bracket that goes onto the top motor mount bolt and holds the pipe on 100%, no questions no guessing. Every set of turbos we will be shipping will get one. Whatever you do make sure you get it on, because if it pops off you will suck something into the turbo. A couple cars we swapped turbos on had a piece of wedge shape plastic stuck behind the pipe against the firewall, it seems to hold it on pretty well if you have nothing else. Just use a big pry bar and hold the tube on and wedge the piece between it and the firewall and tap it in a bit with a hammer to make sure it wont fall out. Besides making a bracket this is all I can offer in a way of making sure you don't ruin your new turbos with something sucked out of the engine bay.
Well I figured out why the induction tube did not fit....I installed the gasket on the turbo 1st...induction tube pinched the gasket, it deformed and tube could not be put on. I did not notice this because my hands could not fit back there (it actually felt like it was bound )...I found out because my AEWESOME wife (who has actually helped with this install) saw this...Ii wasted 6 ours on a damn gasket LOL!!

NEVER put the gasket on the turbo...install it in the tube first!

I also bent the bracket so it can not slide off...it need reinforcment, so the bracket sits behind the tube falnge...great idea!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
A couple cars we swapped turbos on had a piece of wedge shape plastic stuck behind the pipe against the firewall, it seems to hold it on pretty well if you have nothing else. Just use a big pry bar and hold the tube on and wedge the piece between it and the firewall and tap it in a bit with a hammer to make sure it wont fall out. .
I was thinking of wedging something in there....but I figured it would just fall out...may wedge a piece of something in there.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Well I figured out why the induction tube did not fit....I installed the gasket on the turbo 1st...induction tube pinched the gasket, it deformed and tube could not be put on. I did not notice this because my hands could not fit back there (it actually felt like it was bound )...I found out because my AEWESOME wife (who has actually helped with this install) saw this...Ii wasted 6 ours on a damn gasket LOL!!

NEVER put the gasket on the turbo...install it in the tube first!

I also bent the bracket so it can not slide off...it need reinforcment, so the bracket sits behind the tube falnge...great idea!
Awesome man glad you got it figured out. Yes gasket into pipe, both gasket and pipe slide onto turbo. Sorry I should have specified. You are gonna love your car once you get the install done and get to drive it with the new turbos. Good luck with rest of install.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Awesome man glad you got it figured out. Yes gasket into pipe, both gasket and pipe slide onto turbo. Sorry I should have specified. You are gonna love your car once you get the install done and get to drive it with the new turbos. Good luck with rest of install.
I cant believe I made that mistake man...I just had everything before and put them on the turbo....big mistake. Can you make this bracket for the engine mount for me...I would love to have that....only take 20 mins to take a motor mount out!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I cant believe I made that mistake man...I just had everything before and put them on the turbo....big mistake. Can you make this bracket for the engine mount for me...I would love to have that....only take 20 mins to take a motor mount out!
Sure they are being made right now. Once they are done, no problem. Send me a PM so I don't forget.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Sure they are being made right now. Once they are done, no problem. Send me a PM so I don't forget.
Sweet, that is a great idea you have there.....peace of mind to! I like everything to fit tightly....cant tell you how much stuff I have replaced doing this install LOL!!
Appreciate 0