E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Individual Audio System

03-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thumbs down Individual Audio System

Any1 else whos got the individual audio system feeling as if it doesnt quite live upto expectations???

Ive had my e92 for just over a year now and have heard the Logic 7 system in an e60, e63 and e92 and find they are much deeper in bass than my e92. I would have thought paying nearly twice as much for the Indi. system over L7 wud not only improve clarity but also prove to be more punchy in lower frequencies...

Looking at the difference in amplifier parts (based upon generic schematics on Realoem) the Indi. Amplifier is a fair bit smaller than the L7... I wud have thought that considering it states the Indi. amp has more power it shud effectively be larger than the L7 one?

Can any1 confirm reasons why the Indi. system in a bit 'weak' when the specs say otherwise?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
Any1 else whos got the individual audio system feeling as if it doesnt quite live upto expectations???

Ive had my e92 for just over a year now and have heard the Logic 7 system in an e60, e63 and e92 and find they are much deeper in bass than my e92. I would have thought paying nearly twice as much for the Indi. system over L7 wud not only improve clarity but also prove to be more punchy in lower frequencies...

Looking at the difference in amplifier parts (based upon generic schematics on Realoem) the Indi. Amplifier is a fair bit smaller than the L7... I wud have thought that considering it states the Indi. amp has more power it shud effectively be larger than the L7 one?

Can any1 confirm reasons why the Indi. system in a bit 'weak' when the specs say otherwise?

Thanks in advance
Actually, the amplifier body is exactly the same size between the L7 and the Individual Audio.

And even when the Individual Audio is supposed to be more than twice in power than the L7 I also feel that something was missed in the way to the car... but only at low volume. At high volume there's no comparison between the Individual Audio and the L7, the Individual Audio is clearer, louder and more defined than the L7. Which I think that it is the purpose, after all, but it is something that not too many people will be able to appreciate unless they are constantly blasting music in the car.

That's one of the two failures of the Individual Audio for me, the other is the saturated DIRAC processing done to the music, which muffles the voices making them sound like whoever is singing have a piece of cloth in their mouth.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Park828
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Man

not to thread jack... but is it a direct swap for amplifiers from l7 to indi.? or is there coding to be done... ?
      11-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park828 View Post
not to thread jack... but is it a direct swap for amplifiers from l7 to indi.? or is there coding to be done... ?
The OEM speakers of the L7 are load-incompatible with the Individual Audio OEM amp.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Park828
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The OEM speakers of the L7 are load-incompatible with the Individual Audio OEM amp.

the oem l7 is... 2ohms... and indi audio is... 4?

i will be running a/d/s stuff so i'll be fine.

i was just thinking that... since l7 and indi uses fiber... i will get audio from indi amp without coding per say.. or is the system smart enough to know that the indi amp does't belong there and shut down...
      11-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
the oem l7 is... 2ohms... and indi audio is... 4?

i will be running a/d/s stuff so i'll be fine.

i was just thinking that... since l7 and indi uses fiber... i will get audio from indi amp without coding per say.. or is the system smart enough to know that the indi amp does't belong there and shut down...
Just try it and let us know how it works.

Individual Audio speakers are 4ohms, woofers are 7ohms. Woofers less than 7ohms will overheat the OEM amp.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Actually, the amplifier body is exactly the same size between the L7 and the Individual Audio.

And even when the Individual Audio is supposed to be more than twice in power than the L7 I also feel that something was missed in the way to the car... but only at low volume. At high volume there's no comparison between the Individual Audio and the L7, the Individual Audio is clearer, louder and more defined than the L7. Which I think that it is the purpose, after all, but it is something that not too many people will be able to appreciate unless they are constantly blasting music in the car.

That's one of the two failures of the Individual Audio for me, the other is the saturated DIRAC processing done to the music, which muffles the voices making them sound like whoever is singing have a piece of cloth in their mouth.
Technic, did you ever RTA your old system? Perhaps the DIRAC is designed to be flat at all selected volumes hence the better sound the louder the volume.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Park828
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just try it and let us know how it works.

Individual Audio speakers are 4ohms, woofers are 7ohms. Woofers less than 7ohms will overheat the OEM amp.
7 ohms? what idiot's choice was that?! damn.. ok so i guess i need to get line converters and use an ext amp for the subs..
      11-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
7 ohms? what idiot's choice was that?! damn.. ok so i guess i need to get line converters and use an ext amp for the subs..
probably the same guy who tested it out initially with 4 ohm woofers
blew them
then decided he needed to lower the power that's going to them AFTER he had subitted the final specs on the amp