E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > OE Tuning or Active Autowerke?

01-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

OE Tuning or Active Autowerke?

So, which tune has proven itself to produce bigger gains for the 328? The OE or the AA?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

If there is a difference in power it will only be a 1 or 2 hp. The difference will mostly come from drivability, throttle response, etc.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

From an outsider look in their appears to be more 3rd party dyno from OE along with the ability to custom tune the setup which always results in larger gains.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT M3 View Post
From an outsider look in their appears to be more 3rd party dyno from OE along with the ability to custom tune the setup which always results in larger gains.
So can AA.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
bpsu07
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I've been looking to buy a PBX, but I just PMed AA, and I'm in for more info about this also...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Well it depends, if your doing a manifold swap 325-330, the AA tune is the better pick.

If its a standard flash though, on a non intake modified car - I think OE might edge them out in throttle response and hp, the OE tune is a beast in a standard 325/328/330. The AA tune is again, a more "civil" tune and not as brash. Still yielding very good power, but for a daily driver who just wants some punch it is a very good option also.

I have the OE tune, and love it.

I have not personally had the AA tune (yet) but I hope to get it so I can really tell you guys what they are like from the same car and same driver.

I can arrange both for you if you need any help on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeFranco1 View Post
So can AA.

Does AA tuner (or tune loader) regularly fly around the US and custom tune 328s for customers on the dyno? Does AA have flash dealers who can load multiple custom files on the dyno and custom tune cars in real-time (remotely)? The answer is NO. Therefore you aren't getting a custom tuned you are getting a selection of off the self canned file for your modset.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT M3 View Post

Does AA tuner (or tune loader) regularly fly around the US and custom tune 328s for customers on the dyno? Does AA have flash dealers who can load multiple custom files on the dyno and custom tune cars in real-time (remotely)? The answer is NO. Therefore you aren't getting a custom tuned you are getting a selection of off the self canned file for your modset.
I don't recall reading anywhere that AA can't fly out and tune your car. Nor have I read anywhere that AA can't remotely tune your car. Also, any mods you have before the maf and after the O2 sensors require no custom tuning. If you have something that's between the MAF and O2 sensors, it's not exactly off-the-shelf. The tuner will use his/her experience to make changes to your file. Of course, you would have to pay extra for any custom tuning.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I don't recall reading anywhere that AA can't fly out and tune your car. Nor have I read anywhere that AA can't remotely tune your car. Also, any mods you have before the maf and after the O2 sensors require no custom tuning. If you have something that's between the MAF and O2 sensors, it's not exactly off-the-shelf. The tuner will use his/her experience to make changes to your file. Of course, you would have to pay extra for any custom tuning.
You haven't read it anywhere because it hasn't happened to date. Or is it advertised ever.

Otherwise - I hope this isn't a serious post. You couldn't be further from the truth here. A maf is not a self tuning device, changing airflow through the sensor, or overall VE of the motor requires custom tuning - ALWAYS.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Of course a MAF sensor isn't self tuning. It's just a sensor. A computer is though. There is no intake available that will add so much airflow that will put the computer beyond the tune's limits. And there is nothing you can do to the exhaust past the cats that will cause enough of a flow increase to cause the computer to reach it's tuned limit. If you really think your CAI and cat-back exhaust need a custom tune on an N52, you can pay the extra money. They're a tuning company so I'm sure they can custom tune a car. They're also a business, so unless the don't like making money, they'll do business with you.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

I think we're on the wrong path.

If this thread is going to be of any use to anyone, it's going to have to address what's best for 99% of us. That makes sense because the standard AA and OE tunes are probably written to enhance performance for the stock car and further enhance the most common aftermarket intake and exhaust systems 99% of us will probably have installed.

These tunes can't address every possible setup, so the developer has to make an "educated guess" on what needs to be tweaked so the most customers see worthy gains. Depending on your setup you may see more or less gains, but is it worth flying an engineer across the country to get those 2 extra ponies left on the table out of your new intake? Are we going to pay to have an engineer custom tune the car remotely? Probably not for most of us.

OE or AA may have more than 1 canned tune available. One size tune may not fit all, but best out of 3 wouldn't be so bad. I don't know. They'd have to chime in here and tell us how it works.

Let's take this thread in a direction that will benefit most of us. We can assume we all have stock cars or stock cars with the addition of an aftermarket intake and exhaust system. Bolt-on stuff easily found online. In this case, which tune will deliver more - OE or AA? OE is claiming 25HP on their website. That's a serious bump in power but is it verified by any e90post users?

No crazy custom made titanium exhaust with afterburner. No having an MIT undergraduate student reengineer the intake. 99% of us are not going that direction, so lets not bring the thread there either. This could end up being a great thread for anyone on the fence deciding which tune to get... like me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbet01 View Post
I think we're on the wrong path.

If this thread is going to be of any use to anyone, it's going to have to address what's best for 99% of us. That makes sense because the standard AA and OE tunes are probably written to enhance performance for the stock car and further enhance the most common aftermarket intake and exhaust systems 99% of us will probably have installed.

These tunes can't address every possible setup, so the developer has to make an "educated guess" on what needs to be tweaked so the most customers see worthy gains. Depending on your setup you may see more or less gains, but is it worth flying an engineer across the country to get those 2 extra ponies left on the table out of your new intake? Are we going to pay to have an engineer custom tune the car remotely? Probably not for most of us.

OE or AA may have more than 1 canned tune available. One size tune may not fit all, but best out of 3 wouldn't be so bad. I don't know. They'd have to chime in here and tell us how it works.

Let's take this thread in a direction that will benefit most of us. We can assume we all have stock cars or stock cars with the addition of an aftermarket intake and exhaust system. Bolt-on stuff easily found online. In this case, which tune will deliver more - OE or AA? OE is claiming 25HP on their website. That's a serious bump in power but is it verified by any e90post users?

No crazy custom made titanium exhaust with afterburner. No having an MIT undergraduate student reengineer the intake. 99% of us are not going that direction, so lets not bring the thread there either. This could end up being a great thread for anyone on the fence deciding which tune to get... like me.
Agreed. Just so you know, I've had both tunes. Now I do have a somewhat uncommon setup but one that is slowly getting more popular. I have the 3-stage manifold swap. The AA tune has more torque at low rpm but peak power was pretty much the same (about 1hp appart). The OE tune knocked quite a bit especially in hot weather. I think it had something to do with my high mileage (150k). Nevertheless, my car was a ticking time bomb in that state. AA's tune is nice and smooth and no knocking whatsoever. In a newer car or one with less miles than mine, I think the OE tune will yeild slightly more HP.
Appreciate 0