E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Does failure to stop at red light increase insurance rates?

06-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Does failure to stop at red light increase insurance rates?

I'm guessing yes since it's a moving violation? If so, by how much?

Should I go for traffic school? What's the experience like? I've never had anything on my record before.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

There was a company that started in 1998 called google. Pretty cool idea that consists of typing in questions, and answers tend to be there with one click
      07-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F82

And it also serves to clarify F-ups by retentive a-holes, no pun intended of course

BTW, Google actually received their first funding in '98 but began in January 1996 as a research project by Larry Page and Sergey Brin.

OP: I lived in SoCal for most of the 90's and received two tickets during that time. I took one of them to court and won because the officer did not show so it was dismissed. However, I have yet to receive me $160 refund. Bastards..

I didn't want to take my chances with the 2nd so I took an on-line traffic school and had the adjudication withheld (no points). My insurance company did NOT hold it against me and did NOT raise my premiums.

If you have the time to take it to court, do that as you have a good chance of getting dismissed. If the officer shows and he has recollection of your particular stop, you can always change your plea to No Contest and request traffic school to avoid the points.

I've even asked officers just before court starts if they would consider cutting me a break as I'm a good driver/ family man, etc... It's worked twice! You really have nothing to lose. Most cops are regular Joes and decent people. Just need to relate to him and be very courteous as well as remorseful (as in you learned your lesson, etc.) GL!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

If it's your first ticket on your record, even if uncontested, shouldn't alter your rates at all. But since we're talking insurance companies, you never know. Just shop around on your next renewal and ask if that ticket is affecting your rates, so you know. You should always shop around if there's ANY change, from tickets to accidents to adding/deleting drivers (especially teenagers). Before I had to add my teenage daughter I had the best rates with 21st century, but it became the worst with my daughter in; go figure. Now I have Geico. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

If you're talking about a red light camera, no. If you were pulled over by an officer, yes.
      07-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
PCGuRu2K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 JB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringsmewomen View Post
I'm guessing yes since it's a moving violation? If so, by how much?

Should I go for traffic school? What's the experience like? I've never had anything on my record before.
I believe my premium went up by hundred something the last time I got a red light ticket. And that was on Geico
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

wife just got a red light ticket in San Diego..$500.00...and yes she has to take a Traffic School Class so our insurance doesn't go up. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Online traffic school is easy...you can take the test as many time as you can, and you can be don in about 2 hrs if you're good.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Fupa92
Do you FUPA?
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I actually got a ticket last year for failure to stop at a red light (was making a left turn when light was yellow *turning* red. My Insurance company Geico told me it was noted on my record but they have a one time ticket and accident forgiveness policy so I'm off the hook for another two years until it goes away.
Appreciate 0