E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery exploded in my trunk; Please read so this doesn't happen to your E9X.

12-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #45
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

European cars have always had very fragile electrical systems following anymodifications to the system - and pretty rock solid otherwise.

It may be too late for this but the OP should have contacted NHTSA and BMW before attempting a repair.

There are many possible reasons for this failure

Defective battery
Unvented battery (if it needed to be)
Unregistered battery
Some sort of improperly done mod (ie aftermarket radio, lights, hardwired radar detector etc.)
Defective charging system

I believe that the problem was caused by an improperly vented or defective battery. While I believe that registration is vital for the proper operation of the electrical system and the life of the battery but I find it unlikely that failure to register the battery would lead to catastrophic explosive failure - if that were a possibility then there would be huge warnings plastered all over the battery, the compartment, the windshield and the owner's manual.
      12-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #46
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
+1. Sorry to hear that this happened, but don't blame BMW for your mistake. This is not 1998, car designs change. The point is not to make a monopoly on an 'exclusive' battery that you have to get from a BMW dealer; it is a sophisticated electrical system with specific requirements.
Bullshit. BMW is so "special" that you can't change your own battery?? Total nonsense.

Then the damn car that warns and alerts you about hundreds of other things (since it's so "sophisticated"), should let you know that "Hey, I see you have a new battery. Please contact your dealer or authorized shop to ensure proper configuration with the vehicle". Is that so difficult??
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #47
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Bullshit. BMW is so "special" that you can't change your own battery?? Total nonsense.

Then the damn car that warns and alerts you about hundreds of other things (since it's so "sophisticated"), should let you know that "Hey, I see you have a new battery. Please contact your dealer or authorized shop to ensure proper configuration with the vehicle". Is that so difficult??
+1. Servicing this car is such a nightmare a times. I miss my old 5.0 motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #48
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Why didn't you just push the car yourself or get the cop to get out and help, I would have never let him push my car with his bumper. Thats just asking to destroy it.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #49
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 330i 6MT TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
And you'd be ignorant for doing so.

The little black book in your trunk obviously states that the battery must be recoded. Sure, it may not explode if you dont, but it just might.
Wow man, really? Sometimes I forget how pompous certain bmw owners can be. I take it your one of those types who doesn't enjoy working on his own car, much less get his hands dirty.

Quote:
The "little" black book is more like a library. God forbid you should miss something or perhaps assume something as simple as changing a battery should require you to check the manual.

Screw you.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #50
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
For how long you did you drive on new battery before it exploded?
I replaced the battery in August.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #51
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

You would think. It's what I miss most about the OBD 1 system on my old 95 M3. Stuff like this wasn't an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #52
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Why didn't you just push the car yourself or get the cop to get out and help, I would have never let him push my car with his bumper. Thats just asking to destroy it.
We're talking half a mile up-hill with traffic going 50mph in the lane next to me. It just happened at the wrong place at the wrong time. Luckily it wasn't on the freeway. God forbid, I would have likely caused a pile up.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #53
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

OP keep us posted on the exact cause of the explosion
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #54
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
Quote:

Then sell yours and don't purchase another. Simple.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #55
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
wow
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #56
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I would try and get them to pay for the repair bill too.

1k is a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckr4Straight6s View Post
Oh I plan on doing this. I still have the receipt and I'll have the old battery. I'm also going to have the mechanic jot down a note explaining what happened so i can present it in hopes of getting a refund.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #57
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

So what about all those guys (like Mr.5 and HP autowerks) using the Braille batteries with no problems? Not only not coded, but significantly different in capacity.

Not sure I'm buying op's theory.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #58
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
So what about all those guys (like Mr.5 and HP autowerks) using the Braille batteries with no problems? Not only not coded, but significantly different in capacity.

Not sure I'm buying op's theory.
And what theory is that? I'm going off of what the mechanic told me.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #59
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckr4Straight6s View Post
Wow man, really? Sometimes I forget how pompous certain bmw owners can be. I take it your one of those types who doesn't enjoy working on his own car, much less get his hands dirty.
I work on my own car. I do my own service. I get my hands dirty whenever possible.

I also read instructions and educate my self about what I'm doing prior to doing it.

What I was referring to as being ignorant is completely laying blame on BMW when if anybody is to blame, they would be the last ones. If I changed something and a week later it blew up, chances are either I effed up or whatever I put in there effed up.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #60
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I work on my own car. I do my own service. I get my hands dirty whenever possible.

I also read instructions and educate my self about what I'm doing prior to doing it.

What I was referring to as being ignorant is completely laying blame on BMW when if anybody is to blame, they would be the last ones. If I changed something and a week later it blew up, chances are either I effed up or whatever I put in there effed up.
Alright man thats fine. Not looking to argue.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #61
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

^ OP: I DIY everything. I agree with Jaykay about reading instructions or educating yourself prior to doing the work. When you replaced the battery did you wing it or followed instructions from a bentley manual or here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=battery

You could have easily screwed it up (don't take personal offense) which I hope that is the case because I plan on changing my battery soon.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #62
Atorsesh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 123

Changing a battery without having to re-program the entire car? That would not be the German way. I'm surprised BMW doesn't have their own sizes for torx screws and hex nuts. "Apply 8.6Nm torque with 11.750mm wrench; nut safety accident explosive system activates at 8.7Nm. Must be re-programed to test for scratches. ha ha ha...goodluck"

Seriously though that really sucks, hopefully you can get it fixed cheap. To be fair, Acura has started using special $400 batteries in the latest gen RL. They have the special distribution block setup on top just like BMW uses. The computers in the car do not monitor charging the same way BMW does. I had a friend put a regular battery in and simply run a 4 gauge wire from the pole to the distribution block and it runs perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #63
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

wow, really sorry to hear.

when i first read the title, the first thing that came to mine was a battery not vented properly.

i had my battery changed to an interstate a year ago.

i asked a friend, who works at a bmw dealer and who used to work as bmw indy mechanic, whether or not the battery had to be registered. he told me that unless the battery was a different spec, it does not.

since the interstate battery is supposedly the same spec as the original battery that came with my 2006 325i, i did not bother getting it registered. *keeping my fingers crossed, so far no issues*

i also believe that one of the reasons for the battery registration is easy money for the dealer. if registration is really required for every new battery you put in an e9x, imho, this should really just be offered as a free service or at the very least a very low cost service as it sounds like it takes them very little time to do it.

all that said, and with some past reading and research, i'm just not sure if i buy into the whole registration of the battery. and i know this debate will go on and on and on, like the enigizer bunny.

anyway, good luck with everything!
      12-24-2010, 02:48 AM   #64
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
im going to start by saying i did not read every reply. i also own a bmw motorcycle and used to frequent the pelican parts forum, that is before i found this gem. however while on that forum i heard a funny joke, and it read, what is the cheapest thing on a bmw? the rider. its $400 people, thats a bar tab, if your going to be stubborn and act like the man (bmw) is trying to take you for what your worth, sometimes you get burned.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #65
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
I guess if you buy a BMW, some parts need to stay BMW, $$$.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #66
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Gee about all I can say after reading your F**cking stupid post is that you got just the Sh*t you had coming not checking on the battery issue. You stupid F*cks think it's BMW's fault your so F*cking lazy and cheap to properly service your ride.
================================================== =================
Moderator, please understand the sarcasm is to illustrate how much fun it is to read a vulgarity laced post on this forum!
Appreciate 0