E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPhone music in 2008 328xi

06-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
0c5er
Let's go Orange!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

iPhone music in 2008 328xi

Alright, just so I don't get killed. I have perused the forums quite a bit and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question. Entirely possible I just missed it and if so I apologize, but here goes.

I have an '08 328xi and I'm trying to stream music from my iPhone 5c through the car speakers but I'm unsure what hardware I need. Apparently I don't have bluetooth as when I press the phone button on the steering wheel, nothing happens. When I press the voice activation button it asks me to say a command but I've heard this is irrelevant.

Like many others have said, when I plug my usb/lightning plug into the usb port in the center console, it charges the phone but nothing else. If I buy a 10pin adapter, will that allow the car's audio system to recognize my phone and thereby stream music, or no? Is there no way to do it? I am so confused.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I am not sure if you can stream your music without Bluetooth. My car doesn't have the Bluetooth option as well. So what I do is get an aux cable and plug it inside the armrest. Then I switch the music source to AUX.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
0c5er
Let's go Orange!
United_States
Rep

But that does work for you as long as you just use the AUX function in the stereo system?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I do believe that if you have the base system, you won't be able to stream music via bluetooth. I have bluetooth in mine, but only for making and receiving calls, not music stream. I believe you can do that only if your car is equipped with iDrive. The AUX jack with USB still works though, and will port over your song titles/playlist/artists/etc. into the system, and will show on the display. But it's hard-wired.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
0c5er
Let's go Orange!
United_States
Rep

I have no problem with that as long as it will play. Bluetooth isn't a necessity, I just want to listen to the music I have on my phone haha.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

You should get a Bluetooth dongle like the Kinivo BTC450. There's lots of threads about similar dongles. Basically plugs into cig lighter and aux then has a button with a mic in it that you can position elsewhere in your cargo do hands free voice. Your music will stream to it and play through your aux stereo setting. Additionally it has a USB port on the cig lighter part that allows you to charge your phone too.

http://www.kinivo.com/Kinivo-BTC450-.../dp/B009NLTW60
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
0c5er
Let's go Orange!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
You should get a Bluetooth dongle like the Kinivo BTC450. There's lots of threads about similar dongles. Basically plugs into cig lighter and aux then has a button with a mic in it that you can position elsewhere in your cargo do hands free voice. Your music will stream to it and play through your aux stereo setting. Additionally it has a USB port on the cig lighter part that allows you to charge your phone too.

http://www.kinivo.com/Kinivo-BTC450-.../dp/B009NLTW60
Very intriguing, I will look into this.

Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0c5er View Post
Very intriguing, I will look into this.

Thanks for the heads up!
Sure. Like I said there's lots of threads about these types of things and there's a lot of overpriced ones out there too. Kinivo and xtrememac both provide good value for the device. The xtrememac has MSRP of $79 but can be had for MUCH less. https://www.xtrememac.com/en-US/prod...harge-auto-bt/

I have owned both. Both work well. The Kinivo auto-re-pairs with your phone which is a big plus and if you need the hands free talk feature (which you should use if talking and driving) the mic is on the external button whereas with the xtrememac the mic is attached to the aux plug so you'd have to open your armrest to use it and HOPE people can hear you.

Alternatively I've recently switched away from bluetooth audio in favor of Airplay in the car. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971083. This is a good bit more expensive and involved but gives overall better audio quality provided you are using a decent DAC with this setup. The bluetooth is a lot easier and the sound quality is still pretty good...I'm just an audio snob so Airplay with it's lossless streaming is "better" to my ears.
      06-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But that does work for you as long as you just use the AUX function in the stereo system?
Yep, it works. I can play my music list, or pandora and have waze running in the back ground.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
0c5er
Let's go Orange!
United_States
Rep

Great.

Thanks for your help guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
guanyum5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is SGM/CR

Garage List
In my 2008 335i, I use AUX in center console for music, and bluetooth for calls. It works simultaneously on my HTC One. When a call comes in, output switches from AUX to bluetooth. On call disconnect, music resumes on AUX. Would be nice to have everything over bluetooth, but it works rather well actually. Keep in mind you will have better source using AUX over Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

If you want to control your music with the steering wheel then you'd need to get the ipod/iphone y-cable. One end has a plug for the aux and one plug for usb and the other end goes into your apple device but it's the old 30 pin one so I'm guessing you'd need the lighting adapter but I don't own an iphone so I couldn't tell you if it works but it should work fine.

06-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
0c5er
Let's go Orange!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guant0n View Post
In my 2008 335i, I use AUX in center console for music, and bluetooth for calls. It works simultaneously on my HTC One. When a call comes in, output switches from AUX to bluetooth. On call disconnect, music resumes on AUX. Would be nice to have everything over bluetooth, but it works rather well actually. Keep in mind you will have better source using AUX over Bluetooth.
I can't pair my phone to my car which leads me to believe that I don't have bluetooth. When I hold the phone button, nothing happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
guanyum5
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can't pair my phone to my car which leads me to believe that I don't have bluetooth. When I hold the phone button, nothing happens.
Oops, I missed that, DOH.. Then you can just do everything through AUX, unless you plan to invest in a bluetooth dongle
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
guanyum5
Private
Rep

Garage List
Oo, you could also explore the iphone connection in the glove box. Might need a converter to Lightning for your 5c, but its an option
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #16
0c5er
Let's go Orange!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oo, you could also explore the iphone connection in the glove box. Might need a converter to Lightning for your 5c, but its an option
Hmmm, will have to give that a looksee.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #17
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guant0n
I'm trying to figure this out too. What is the difference between the cable in my glove box and the plug in the middle console? If I buy the aux cable for the middle console, do these do the same things?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #18
guanyum5
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I'm trying to figure this out too. What is the difference between the cable in my glove box and the plug in the middle console? If I buy the aux cable for the middle console, do these do the same things?
Sort of.

Think of AUX (plug in your center console) as headphones/speakers coming from your phone. It outputs all audio through that cable. You could play a youtube video, make a call, etc... all audio will go to your speakers via AUX.

The 30-pin connector in your glovebox (I'm not sure if all models have this, I have non-idrive and I have it) is a bit more limited to what it can do (i.e. it doesn't just output audio) but it IS more integrated. It sort of acts like a USB flash drive and lets you play music found in your itunes library. I almost want to say it'll display some song info as well but I'm not sure, I think you can make calls too. This connection is similar to a USB connection found on the newer bimmers, where it integrates into i-Drive.

Hopefully that isn't too confusing... I find AUX better suited for my uses, cuz I do a lot of random things on my phone so I get all sorts of audio. If you're the type of person who just likes to leave the phone alone, connected, and play songs off it, the glove box connection might be a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guant0n
Quote:
Sort of.

Think of AUX (plug in your center console) as headphones/speakers coming from your phone. It outputs all audio through that cable. You could play a youtube video, make a call, etc... all audio will go to your speakers via AUX.

The 30-pin connector in your glovebox (I'm not sure if all models have this, I have non-idrive and I have it) is a bit more limited to what it can do (i.e. it doesn't just output audio) but it IS more integrated. It sort of acts like a USB flash drive and lets you play music found in your itunes library. I almost want to say it'll display some song info as well but I'm not sure, I think you can make calls too. This connection is similar to a USB connection found on the newer bimmers, where it integrates into i-Drive.

Hopefully that isn't too confusing... I find AUX better suited for my uses, cuz I do a lot of random things on my phone so I get all sorts of audio. If you're the type of person who just likes to leave the phone alone, connected, and play songs off it, the glove box connection might be a better choice.
Great info, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #20
0c5er
Let's go Orange!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great info, thank you!
Agreed.

I will probably go with the aforementioned dongle, but good info none the less.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
BMRSEB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 SR+

Quote:
^^ This is my current setup, works fine.. Disconnects the music when a call comes in and resumes afterwards.. I do have IDrive..

Haven't tried using the USB connection that is in the armrest console directly to my IPhone 4S, but might give it a try curious to see if I get audio or anything at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #22
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

No OEM Bluetooth available for music. Yes the 10 pin adaptor works and will allow the interface with the cars head unit and steering wheel functions. If you want Bluetooth buy the TekuOne Wireless Bluetooth Music Receiver for ~$20 and plug it into the car’s 30 pin cable but you will not have the head unit or steering wheel interface using the this device. Yes, the description will say it is for a Bose SoundDock but it works for the car as well.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0