E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Headlight cleaning

03-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Headlight cleaning

What should i use to clean headlights with? Car is about 2 yrs old and its got some hard spots (if that makes sense) on the headlights but only noticeable when lights are on. Other than that I'd say its still in good condition.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335
What should i use to clean headlights with? Car is about 2 yrs old and its got some hard spots (if that makes sense) on the headlights but only noticeable when lights are on. Other than that I'd say its still in good condition.
If you have any combination cleaner/sealant products on hand (I use klasse all-In-one), try that first. It may be all you need. Follow up with a true sealant to keep them protected

If that doesn't work, you may have to use a true polish or even wetsand.

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

thank you sir.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

scratch the true sealant as stated above, you actually need to recoat them, not just protect them. When you polish headlights, you are going to remove the UV coating in the plastic. something like opti-coat is a better choice, but obviously more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I'm about to tackle this project myself. I have little stone chips in them as well. I have yellow lamin-x for the fog lights so I have to really get them cleaned up. Was thinking about sanding them but then I would need to coat it and the lamin-x may not adhere to it at that point.
I did use the turtle wax headlight restore kit on my truck, it has little sanding pads and compound. Also give you a (wet nap) style of sealant/coating.
Comes out pretty good.
I'm thinking more on the lines of the 3m system now...not really sure yet what I want to do. I guess I'll determine it as I get into the front end later on today.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric
scratch the true sealant as stated above, you actually need to recoat them, not just protect them. When you polish headlights, you are going to remove the UV coating in the plastic. something like opti-coat is a better choice, but obviously more expensive.
This would only be true if the OP used a true polish, rubbing compound or wetsand. A product like Klasse AIO will not remove the uv coating.

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0