E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Muffler Delete vs. Muffler Upgrade???

10-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #45
atl530i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i/1995 BMW 525i5

Garage List
I did the AA signature exhaust on my 328i. Sounds good, drones a little on the highway. It has never bothered me since I had runflats that sounded 100000000000 times worse on the highway.

2007 E90 328i - 1995 E34 540i6 M Sport - 1991 318is w/s50 swap sold
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:58 AM   #46
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

I know its been a few days since this was active but I wanted to add my .02 (even if some of you DGAF ).

I've had my MD for 4 of the almost 5 years I've owned this car. I have never had a single gripe, complaint, head shake, etc. from it. It sounds great, gives a little bit of kick to the motors power (notice I said "little"), and it sheds unnecessary weight from the ass end.

This mod truly hinges on 2 things to be enjoyable. 1) The right tips, 2) You don't muck with any thing else in the exhaust like headers, resonator, etc.

With the windows up cruising @ 75mph there is very little drone. I can carry on a conversation at whisper level and that's no BS either. I've scared off countless Subaru WRX's and STI's with this mod (they tend to flourish here due to the snow season) because they have no idea what they are messing with. It's a good feeling when you can stop a teenager from luring you into a bad situation just by giving a little bark from the exhaust.

Total with tips for this mod was $200 (I swapped tips twice to get the right flow, fit and sound). Its the best $200 I've even spent on a car.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #47
QuikSilvr
E90-Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I know its been a few days since this was active but I wanted to add my .02 (even if some of you DGAF ).

I've had my MD for 4 of the almost 5 years I've owned this car. I have never had a single gripe, complaint, head shake, etc. from it. It sounds great, gives a little bit of kick to the motors power (notice I said "little"), and it sheds unnecessary weight from the ass end.

This mod truly hinges on 2 things to be enjoyable. 1) The right tips, 2) You don't muck with any thing else in the exhaust like headers, resonator, etc.

With the windows up cruising @ 75mph there is very little drone. I can carry on a conversation at whisper level and that's no BS either. I've scared off countless Subaru WRX's and STI's with this mod (they tend to flourish here due to the snow season) because they have no idea what they are messing with. It's a good feeling when you can stop a teenager from luring you into a bad situation just by giving a little bark from the exhaust.

Total with tips for this mod was $200 (I swapped tips twice to get the right flow, fit and sound). Its the best $200 I've even spent on a car.
I can see how it might work out, do you use a resonated tip?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #48
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSilvr View Post
I can see how it might work out, do you use a resonated tip?
Nope. Single in/dual 3" out round double wall tips. Almost sounds like I've got a small turbo under the hood. Its a very unique sound due to the amount of exhaust being pushed through the single pipe leading to the tips. I'm planning on picking up a gopro at some point in the near future. If I do I'll remember to get you some video on it.

Here's a vid right after I had it redone with the final tips.

And here's a friend describing it on the road under full throttle:
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #49
QuikSilvr
E90-Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Nope. Single in/dual 3" out round double wall tips. Almost sounds like I've got a small turbo under the hood. Its a very unique sound due to the amount of exhaust being pushed through the single pipe leading to the tips. I'm planning on picking up a gopro at some point in the near future. If I do I'll remember to get you some video on it.

Here's a vid right after I had it redone with the final tips.

And here's a friend describing it on the road under full throttle:
Sounds good, but gotta say, I love your friend's description of it! Its awesome!

AFTER 9:30 PERFORMANCE
Instagram = @quiksilvr85
Twitter = @eric_dymek
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #50
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

I just got the muffler and second cat delete done last month and I can't complain! It feels like it pulls a little smoother and stronger after 3000-3500 rpm but nothing huge. 3.5 dual outlet gives it a good look, it's sounds good and that deep gurgle you get when you let off the gas. love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #51
QuikSilvr
E90-Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
I just got the muffler and second cat delete done last month and I can't complain! It feels like it pulls a little smoother and stronger after 3000-3500 rpm but nothing huge. 3.5 dual outlet gives it a good look, it's sounds good and that deep gurgle you get when you let off the gas. love it.
Video?

Instagram = @quiksilvr85
Twitter = @eric_dymek
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #52
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSilvr View Post
Video?
I'll try and make one to post tomorrow. It'll be iphone quality so nothing great. Will tell ya though a MD sounds a lot different in a video than in person
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #53
QuikSilvr
E90-Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
I'll try and make one to post tomorrow. It'll be iphone quality so nothing great. Will tell ya though a MD sounds a lot different in a video than in person
Scratch that, I realized I have a Magnaflow Muffler #11216 (barely used) that I will put on my E90, so if the OP is cool with it I will post my videos of it here along with my show-off page when its done. If that is ok with the OP, not trying to thread jack.

Instagram = @quiksilvr85
Twitter = @eric_dymek

Last edited by QuikSilvr; 11-03-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0