E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

09-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #2487
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Its not placebo
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #2488
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Its not placebo
Man, I am just happy to see the car running like it's supposed to! No more flatlined timing, no weird boost control issues, just works!

I'll reserve fanboy behavior for stage 2 and how it performs on my car, but this is a great start.
      09-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #2489
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Man, I am just happy to see the car running like it's supposed to! No more flatlined timing, no weird boost control issues, just works!

I'll reserve fanboy behavior for stage 2 and how it performs on my car, but this is a great start.
tell me about it, i'm still having withdrawal symptoms from finally NOT having all those misfires that fucking haunted this poor car for a whopping 7 months until Cobb basically flicked the switch and the car got TOLD to run right LOL so weird just having fun with the car again and not worrying constantly about what that AFR is doing at part throttle, what a fucking nightmare...i used to spend TONS of time trying to figure it out as it used to scare the shit out of me, trying this/that for a LONG time and just when you think you've figured it out and chill out the damn major AFR lean/rich swing at part throttle would be back...not funny when you're hitting 18-20psi on RBs and seeing a leanrun hit 18AFR for, in certain cases, a few seconds at a time...glad its OVER! don't need that kind of AFR control anymore
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #2490
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
tell me about it, i'm still having withdrawal symptoms from finally NOT having all those misfires that fucking haunted this poor car for a whopping 7 months until Cobb basically flicked the switch and the car got TOLD to run right LOL
lol, seems the flick is a band-aid, but time will tell!
      09-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #2491
gian335
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335

is cobb st.2 out yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #2492
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gian335 View Post
is cobb st.2 out yet?
its out in a limited released beta. From what I can tell, 3-4 folks are going to hell . . . i mean have it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #2493
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
lol, seems the flick is a band-aid, but time will tell!
Watch the vid, AGAIN! lol

I know what you mean but turning off misfire detection or tuning it is just another thing to do when going for high HP, high boost, high RPMs...some cars will pull through, others will just slightly be more finicky enough to trip it...what I'll be working on down the road with Cobb is trying to gain access to misfire detection tables in the DME to see what that detection is all about and understand it better...for now it was simple enough to turn it off and see if it really was a misfire that hinders performance/driveability in any way and, if you take a look at the vids posted, my gut says nothing to worry about and time to have F-U-N!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #2494
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Watch the vid, AGAIN! lol

I know what you mean but turning off misfire detection or tuning it is just another thing to do when going for high HP, high boost, high RPMs...some cars will pull through, others will just slightly be more finicky enough to trip it...what I'll be working on down the road with Cobb is trying to gain access to misfire detection tables in the DME to see what that detection is all about and understand it better...for now it was simple enough to turn it off and see if it really was a misfire that hinders performance/driveability in any way and, if you take a look at the vids posted, my gut says nothing to worry about and time to have F-U-N!
10.9@127 or bust!
      09-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #2495
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
10.9@127 or bust!
I say major bust to that challenge right away LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 02:18 AM   #2496
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
tell me about it, i'm still having withdrawal symptoms from finally NOT having all those misfires that fucking haunted this poor car for a whopping 7 months until Cobb basically flicked the switch and the car got TOLD to run right LOL so weird just having fun with the car again and not worrying constantly about what that AFR is doing at part throttle, what a fucking nightmare...i used to spend TONS of time trying to figure it out as it used to scare the shit out of me, trying this/that for a LONG time and just when you think you've figured it out and chill out the damn major AFR lean/rich swing at part throttle would be back...not funny when you're hitting 18-20psi on RBs and seeing a leanrun hit 18AFR for, in certain cases, a few seconds at a time...glad its OVER! don't need that kind of AFR control anymore
I'm so glad to hear your issues are over. I've had the EXACT same issues with my Procede as you were having, I ended up sending it in in the end, for an upgrade to 2.5, but have yet to install it to see if it's fixed.

So how come you did all that testing with Shiv a few months ago, if you were with Cobb / going to stay with Cobb? Just for fun? LOL!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #2497
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
I'm so glad to hear your issues are over. I've had the EXACT same issues with my Procede as you were having, I ended up sending it in in the end, for an upgrade to 2.5, but have yet to install it to see if it's fixed.

So how come you did all that testing with Shiv a few months ago, if you were with Cobb / going to stay with Cobb? Just for fun? LOL!
More than likely many of the issues he had could not be resolved on a piggy.
      09-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #2498
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post

I had no idea I'd even try Cobb back then when Shiv was here...I thought that a flash wouldn't be compatible with the wastegates on my car and boost control would be foooked...it was by complete chance that I got a great price on an AP, took the trial to give it a whirl...after running and seeing how SOLID AFRs looked at part throttle shocked me immediately! That was the major reason for it...piggies can't come even close to flash AFR or timing control...on top of everything Cobb really surprised me with the depth of logging capabilities which, when you're as anal retentive as me about how the car runs, is VERY important..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #2499
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

I'm going to say a couple of things about this thread..If stage 2 is serious is a heart attack ,and shiv and Terry don't release some maps better (not equal ) stick a fork in them..The piggy business will be terminated ..Only sales will be to the cheapos.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #2500
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I had no idea I'd even try Cobb back then when Shiv was here...I thought that a flash wouldn't be compatible with the wastegates on my car and boost control would be foooked...it was by complete chance that I got a great price on an AP, took the trial to give it a whirl...after running and seeing how SOLID AFRs looked at part throttle shocked me immediately! That was the major reason for it...piggies can't come even close to flash AFR or timing control...on top of everything Cobb really surprised me with the depth of logging capabilities which, when you're as anal retentive as me about how the car runs, is VERY important..
After running Cobb for one day, it's amazing how predictable the car is in both logging output and drivability.
      09-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #2501
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Ok, so I finally got my Accessport in the mail yesterday, needless to say I was EXTREMELY excited to install the ROM.

So here goes:
The box and packaging are top notch, this is no POS module that comes in a brown box with crappy wrapping, you can tell your money was well spent upon opening it from the slightly larger box it ships in. Your money is well spent overall, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Hardware hookup was fairly straightforward, hook up the cable to the OBD II and the Cobb and continue. The unit is a bit smaller than I thought, but it doesnt matter, the color graphic user interface and instructions are so well designed a ten year old could figure it out. Long story short, it takes about ten minutes to do the full install, five minutes to download and store the factory ROM and five minutes to upload the "tuned" ROM, I chose the 93 Stage 1 as I dont have any modifications to my car. Thanks god I dont live in Cali with 91

It's quite intimidating seeing every single error light go on and off for a bit, but its part of the process as the factory software is actually removed from the car to replace with the tuned ROM.

Initial impressions:
- the install was quick and I was quite pleased with how easy it was.

Now the drive:
At first I got on the gas a little and could automatically feel the power curve had changed a bit, not much, just a bit. But then I said ah, what the heck and dropped the hammer. The car revved up and moved nicely but then one second later the boost hit amazingly strong. It was almost like a little bit of "boost-creep".

Is the car much faster: HELL YES !!
It pulls like a freight train on the freeway. These are not 1/4 mile cars any way you look at it, so me dropping the hammer in the local streets (yes the streets were clear) did give me an indication as to a significant change. . . but it didn't really do the tune justice like it does on the freeway. If you're doing 60 mph and get down, you'll be doing 120 mph before you know it. The rush of the power and the sound of the turbos are very obvious, I had so much fun on my 20 mile drive to work this morning.

Motor Characteristics:
Upon start up, you wont notice anything, it'll be stock virtually. This morning when I started the car, I noticed it was at about 1400 RPMs, then slowly fell to about 700 RPM. Normally the car would start at 1000 RPM then fall to 700 RPM. I'll monitor this a bit more over the next few days. Gear changes when driving civilly are stock as well. But anything between slightly aggressive and very aggressive is noticeable, more so than stock at least. Its definitely not herky-jerky. It's just more sports-car like, the shifts are more pronounced and are a bit more obvious. The exhaust note is more noticeable as well, I mean the higher flow, power and combustion have to be expelled somehow right, so that doesn't bother me at all. Once again, this is under wide open throttle.

One thing I did notice and I'd like you other Cobb guys to chime in on is the way the motor responds with regards to the way the gas pedal is moderated. I personally floored it on the freeway yesterday (by this I mean I floored it as fast as one possibly could) and I felt as if the turbos didn't make boost or the car didnt make the power I felt it should, it felt like the engine revved out in that gear and then went to the next gear . . . like an NA car, except this wasn't a 350+ hp NA car, it felt like a 200 hp one. That left me scratching my head. . . although in the Cobb AP's defense, even with the stock ECU I experience that flooring it hard won't yield the best results.

To get the best results out of either the stock or tuned ROM, I found that you should aggressively and I mean very aggressively moderate the throttle from it's nominal position (whatever speed you're going) and gradually feed it/feel it as the power comes on and get down accordingly. Like I said before, these are not drag cars, they're grand touring cars. When the power does come on, it hits hard, its very IN YOUR FACE-ish and you feel almost invincible. The car at that moment becomes a completely different animal.

Fuel Economy:
In a sentence, it's virtually unchanged, especially when driving normally like you would in the stock tune. Hammer it consistently though and you'll definitely see a difference. I'll add more to this, it's only been a day, but I personally feel the fuel economy has remained unchanged for the most part.

In Conclusion:
I personally am VERY pleased with the product and can't wait for the Stage 2 to be released. I feel like I'm driving a luxurious, livable, daily bullet, I can assure you if you're looking into this tune you will not be disappointed. It is by far the easiest, most comprehensive tune available. That coupled with the data logging features, the upgradable potential and the ease of use and you have on hell of a product. It does cost more than a JB4 but you get what you pay for. I know JB4 is awesome, I was very close to pulling the trigger, but when I considered my car still having 50K of warranty life, I decided I'd go this route just in case I had to hop over to the dealer or my car had to be towed. You get what you pay for, no two ways about it.

Finally Cobb AP for N54 =
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #2502
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

I read your review and it got me thinking, why are you saying that the car feels somewhat sedate, and why do you talk about a grand tourer, etc.? Then I realised you have a 535. I guess it IS quite a bit larger than the 3-series, hence that feeling In a 335, the feeling is a lot more that of crazy power in a small sports sedan.

As for quick acceleration - generally, you need time to spool the turbos up. Try (and maybe you did, in which case, fair enough) downshifting before you floor it, and then when flooring it, NOT to press the downshift button at the end of the accelerator pedal travel - see if that gives you more immediate power. Generally, if you floor the accelerator and let it downshift by itself and then speed up, that'll take a good half an hour - our cars aren't too smart about it.
      09-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #2503
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I read your review and it got me thinking, why are you saying that the car feels somewhat sedate, and why do you talk about a grand tourer, etc.? Then I realised you have a 535. I guess it IS quite a bit larger than the 3-series, hence that feeling In a 335, the feeling is a lot more that of crazy power in a small sports sedan.

As for quick acceleration - generally, you need time to spool the turbos up. Try (and maybe you did, in which case, fair enough) downshifting before you floor it, and then when flooring it, NOT to press the downshift button at the end of the accelerator pedal travel - see if that gives you more immediate power. Generally, if you floor the accelerator and let it downshift by itself and then speed up, that'll take a good half an hour - our cars aren't too smart about it.
You're about spot on with the last part about flooring it. Its far from sedate, I might have been a bit misleading. Let me assure you a car of this size moving the way it does is incredible. I've found myself cheesing on so many occasions over the past 12 hours. I cant wait to leave to go home on the freeway again
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #2504
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

What is the "normal" spike to see when the throttle plate closes? On 93octane setting I'm seeing 15.5psi sustained and 22.1psi spike upon letting off the pedal. I've seen several people mention seeing ~18psi spike but not 22psi
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #2505
Magic-Man
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54

Anyone have a rev hang issue in DS when when flooring it & then letting off on the 300 maps?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #2506
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Man View Post
Anyone have a rev hang issue in DS when when flooring it & then letting off on the 300 maps?
isn't that the point of ds mode. when reving the motor up to say 6000 rpms and then back off throttle it will hold there on my car which is stock for a good 10-20 seconds before up shifting to see whether i will get back on the gas or if I've had enough fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #2507
TMack
Road Warrior
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
You're about spot on with the last part about flooring it. Its far from sedate, I might have been a bit misleading. Let me assure you a car of this size moving the way it does is incredible. I've found myself cheesing on so many occasions over the past 12 hours. I cant wait to leave to go home on the freeway again
I'm running Cobb on my 535xi and it's FAR from sedate. It actually scares me.
      09-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #2508
tomob63
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

3.01 is out:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585798