E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Test drove a couple coupes today, impressions and what to do now?

01-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #89
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
People with your outlook on life tend to live cheap, buy cheap & make due with second hand (the sacrafice part?) so there is no way I would ever swap with you for how I was living at 35.

You said the sweet spot on buying a car IIRC is 5 years old so I just can't imagine you buying anything new or anything costly.

Having a boat, cars, house, bike might sound impressive to some people at first glance but possiably not so much if they are all like your 100K mile 6 year old used BMW.

I do boats & bikes too, show me yours & I will show you mine

Sorry but purchasing like new items that are used and well taken care of are just as good as the brand new over priced ones but at a much better buy. Its well above "making due" If you think otherwise then you're just ignorant and or snotty. You make it sound like we're some kind of second class people or something. We buy nice things we can afford with cash. You have done well for yourself but mostly likely only because you were able to out earn your fiscal stupidity. And who knows what your net worth is and how leveraged you are with debt. I'm sure you'll brag about your millions in the next post.

I'm sure you'll want to compare wives to see who married the hottest girl and who has the cutest kids too.

You keep making snide comments about my BMW which I don't appreciate. Its an awesome machine in like new condition!! I get lots of compliments and its a blast to drive! Its not some used up piece of shit.

Btw, your bike is for an old man. hahah...just kidding because I'm into sport bikes. I'll post up some pictures later today after I get done servicing my customers for work and spending time with my family.

Last edited by jacobsed; 01-04-2013 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #90
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Its a perfect bike for an old fart, no bent up back to straighten out when I get off.

Sorry but I don't think driving a 91 Taurus with 275K miles on it and buying a older BMW with 100K miles on it qualifies "as good as brand new". From that point on we more further & further apart on how we choose to live our lives.

Its not about my being snotty or being better then you its all about demonstrating there is more then one way to live comfortably then cash only. You made your choice which you are beating everyone over the head with. Calling everyone who disagrees with you and had made different choices stupid is just arrogant & badly misinformed. You keep saying I don’t know your circumstances but one thing is very clear you don’t know any of ours.

I have used credit, I believe wisely my whole life, without any of the dire consequences you claim will befall people who borrow. No one I know in the neighborhood has fallen into the abyss & new cars that I think are very nice pop-up pretty regularly in the sub division.

Bottom line is the OP asked a question about a BMW, new or used, top of the line or not & a balloon note. He got a lot of opinions that based on the experience of the people offering them were valid for each of those offering them. Then you come along with the mantra of don’t borrow, don’t borrow or your world will end & its to bad all you morons who borrow are too stupid to realize it. I don’t think you are going to convince anyone you have the correct life plan by calling them stupid.

IMHO unless he has a $600/700 car allowance from his job or his take home pay is well above average for a recent grad a $50K car is well out of his range. I don’t think riding a bike for X years while he saves up $15/20K is a good plan either. So that leaves the possibility of looking at a good mid range car like a new or CPO Honda Accord price range car. This would get him started without strain, establish credit & have something to trade/sell when he has progressed on the job. At the end of the day its his choice & he will have to live with it.

BTW I would run away fast from any salesman that even remotely suggested a balloon note.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-04-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #91
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Its a perfect bike for an old fart, no bent up back to straighten out when I get off.

Sorry but I don't think driving a 91 Taurus with 275K miles on it and buying a older BMW with 100K miles on it qualifies "as good as brand new". From that point on we more further & further apart on how we choose to live our lives.

Its not about my being snotty or being better then you its all about demonstrating there is more then one way to live comfortably then cash only. You made your choice which you are beating everyone over the head with. Calling everyone who disagrees with you and had made different choices stupid is just arrogant & badly misinformed. You keep saying I don’t know your circumstances but one thing is very clear you don’t know any of ours.

I have used credit, I believe wisely my whole life, without any of the dire consequences you claim will befall people who borrow. No one I know in the neighborhood has fallen into the abyss & new cars that I think are very nice pop-up pretty regularly in the sub division.

Bottom line is the OP asked a question about a BMW, new or used, top of the line or not & a balloon note. He got a lot of opinions that based on the experience of the people offering them were valid for each of those offering them. Then you come along with the mantra of don’t borrow, don’t borrow or your world will end & its to bad all you morons who borrow are too stupid to realize it. I don’t think you are going to convince anyone you have the correct life plan by calling them stupid.

IMHO unless he has a $600/700 car allowance from his job or his take home pay is well above average for a recent grad a $50K car is well out of his range. I don’t think riding a bike for X years while he saves up $15/20K is a good plan either. So that leaves the possibility of looking at a good mid range car like a new or CPO Honda Accord price range car. This would get him started without strain, establish credit & have something to trade/sell when he has progressed on the job. At the end of the day its his choice & he will have to live with it.

BTW I would run away fast from any salesman that even remotely suggested a balloon note.
I get your points and everyone's situation is different. However, normal in america is not a pretty picture and is caused by bad decision after bad decision taking on debt.

So how many miles on a car do you consider to be too used for you to own and why? I can't wait to hear it. I'm sure you'll say when the factory warranty runs out because they magically turn into pieces of shit at that moment and you would have to use some cash to fix it.

Being in debt is not a sin, it is not immoral and it is not illegal. However it is stupid and can destroy a typical family's well being over night. Typical in this country is scary.

Why would you see people having financial problems in your neighborhood? We already know you're well off and living among the same crowd. You all have already sacrificed to win. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #92
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
I am sure you will be shocked simply shocked. All mileages are estimates because I am not going down stairs & start the cars to look.

2011 335is 14K
2010 X3 20K
2009 Expid 60K
2004 330ci 110K
2003 X Ter 60K
1998 Rang 70K

The 330ci will go when the 43X Convertible is released & the 335is will go when the 4M coupe is released. The others except for the Ranger will go as the spirit moves me or my family's needs change. Typically general family use cars are recycled in 5 or 6 years rather then by specific mileage.

The Ranger I will most likely keep pretty much forever because unless crashed there is nothing I can’t fix on it & I use it a lot off road for hunting.

My grandson drives the x terra & will start college in the fall so I don’t know what will happen with it because he can’t take a car to school as a freshman.

I am not against putting mileage on a car, we tend to roll up a lot of it, I just want to do it all myself, not pick up a car that someone else has had for a number of years & a 100k miles. What I am against is buying a used car with 100K miles on it because you have no idea where its been & what's been done to it no matter what anyone says.

I do all my own work except for factory warranty stuff so as a car ages I know exactly what its history is because its my history with the car. I have in the past built engines, transmission & third members. I have also built cars from welding the chassis on up.

So far except for the Ranger the only money (excluding tires) I have in any of the cars is about $1200/1300 in the 330. Parts include 4 O2 sensors, plugs, valve cover gasket & grommets, rotors/pads & a few other things. I rebuilt the Rangers AC system & that was the only work of any consequence on it till now

Right now because I had to pull it all out to replace the clutch I rebuilt the 5mt, put a fresh shift motor on the transfer case, fresh motor & trans mounts & put in all new u-joints.
Attached Images

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-04-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0