E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > US Advanced diesel prices and update

11-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #155
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
535d:
Yes, you are correct... However, my point was that there is still trace amounts of oil left in the exhaust gases as they travel through the manifold and through the turbine impeller.
Yes and then when they hit the catalysts they are burned clean.
      11-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #156
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

mapezzul, could you please let your contacts know that there actually are still some enthusiasts who don't drive a M vehicle, and that the lack of mechanical LSD is very frustrating in corners taken at <60mph

Wheelbraking/power cut off feels awful and really takes away from driving at the traction limit, and the alternative, wheelspin exiting a corner or having to wait until the car is straight before using the full throttle is not nice to have in a supposedly enthusiast focused car

Tell them to make it an option, there are many who would happily pay the factory for the part rather than dig up an aftermarket solution
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #157
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
mapezzul, could you please let your contacts know that there actually are still some enthusiasts who don't drive a M vehicle, and that the lack of mechanical LSD is very frustrating in corners taken at <60mph

Wheelbraking/power cut off feels awful and really takes away from driving at the traction limit, and the alternative, wheelspin exiting a corner or having to wait until the car is straight before using the full throttle is not nice to have in a supposedly enthusiast focused car

Tell them to make it an option, there are many who would happily pay the factory for the part rather than dig up an aftermarket solution
I would be happy to, but you may also want to know that the plan is to go the route of the 1 with the E-Diff; not sure why the 3 has not gotten it yet except they are going to launch that and the DCT with E92 LCI.

My experience with the 1 and E-Diff has been a bit surprising, I would say it is about 90+% of a real LSD. The real LSD adds more cost and weight to the car, something BMW is trying to get away from (if you can believe that!)

The E90 losing the engine power is the big issue with the DTC on or the wheelspin with the DSC OFF the 1 is a happier medium.

BMW will more than likely offer an LSD through the Performance Line (been real hush about it) and tap that after market performance dollar as well. They even removed the LSD from the MINI John Cooper Works version, in the past it was available on even just the 'S'. Weight and cost were the reasons...
      11-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #158
535desire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MB & VW diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
535d:
Yes, you are correct... However, my point was that there is still trace amounts of oil left in the exhaust gases as they travel through the manifold and through the turbine impeller.
any oil that is in the exhaust gases will do nothing to prolong turbo life because it would not be lubricating the shaft of the turbo, which is what it depends on. As a matter of fact, if those exhaust gases (soot) could get into the shaft/bearings it would be a bad thing. Oil passages could be blocked. Then you're screwed.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #159
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

diesel in TX atleast is more expensive. So with your average driver driving 12-15k miles a year it wouldnt be worth it for someone who is leasing or looking to get a new car every 2-4 yrs. for long term its worth it, but to me the loss of power on a 335 on the high end is and the slower 0-60 times make it a bust. i didnt get the 335 for gas mileage. if i wanted better gas mileage i would have got a 328 or better yet a 4 cylinder honda accord. i got it for the performance, handling, etc. just my $0.02
      11-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #160
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
The E90 losing the engine power is the big issue with the DTC on or the wheelspin with the DSC OFF the 1 is a happier medium.

They even removed the LSD from the MINI John Cooper Works version, in the past it was available on even just the 'S'. Weight and cost were the reasons...
Can't you pay $500 for the LSD on the Mini? That would be an awesome way to go. (buy it if you need it, don't if you don't)

How does that 'e-dff' hold up to the heat generated by circuit use? stock brakes already experience fluid and pad fade if you are really cooking, ediff just contributes to that IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #161
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
Can't you pay $500 for the LSD on the Mini? That would be an awesome way to go. (buy it if you need it, don't if you don't)

How does that 'e-dff' hold up to the heat generated by circuit use? stock brakes already experience fluid and pad fade if you are really cooking, ediff just contributes to that IMHO.
The point I made about the MINI is that they are no longer offering the LSD at all, not an option. The JCW is the only one w/ a diff and it is the E-LSD.

They jury is still out on the wear/heat....
      11-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #162
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
wow, those are huge bumps/premium. I hope that bump would also include 'd' model specific equipment/features packaging to make it worthwhile (wheels etc).
remember the auto is standard on the 3 so its $1325 less than the premium. I cant wait to see how many people who wanted these so bad actually go out and buy them. I bet they dont and were just all talk just like when the M3 and other cars have come out.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #163
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
remember the auto is standard on the 3 so its $1325 less than the premium. I cant wait to see how many people who wanted these so bad actually go out and buy them. I bet they dont and were just all talk just like when the M3 and other cars have come out.
You can start counting with me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #164
535desire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MB & VW diesels

you can now build your own 335d on bmw.usa
Appreciate 0