E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Lowering suspension - suggestions/help needed

04-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Lowering suspension - suggestions/help needed

Hi all,

I'm quite a newb at the whole suspension business, so I thought I should ask (the last time I asked for advice on tires, I got some pretty excellent feedback, and am very happy with them so far).

I upped my stock tires to 245/40-18s on 18"x8.5" ET35 Enkei WDMs. Right now, my car looks a bit like an SUV, especially in front, with the extra space. I'd like to get advice on:

1 - sorry, the photos are not great, but any suggestions on the recommended drop amount? A guy at a wheel shop suggested 1.5" on all corners, does that make sense, or is that too much?

2 - I think the way I do it is I get replacement springs and get those installed, correct? Any recommendations on what to get? What is there to consider, if anything?

Thanks for any help.

-pN
      04-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

KW coilovers.

You will not regret them!

PS. sorry bro, not feeling the wheels.. I think you can go for something that look more aggressive! It'll fit your car better, I think.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
KW coilovers.

You will not regret them!

PS. sorry bro, not feeling the wheels.. I think you can go for something that look more aggressive! It'll fit your car better, I think.
Hehe no worries... I wanted the "fluid" feel of the spokes ... it might not've come out quite how I wanted it, though, but it's all right. For what my budget was, it was the best call, I think, as I wanted something dark... the wheels I really liked were the BBS CX-R, but they were roughly 3-4 times more expensive, or the VMRs, which aren't cheap either so maybe for the next set.

I'm reading a lot of positives about KW coilovers... what's the price differential like, installed, between just swapping the springs vs putting coilovers on? And ... I'm not too sure of the difference in terms of ride quality, handling, etc. Read through the stickies, but kind of unclear. Care to comment?
      04-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
sorry dude, but have to agree PNF. your wheels don't belong on a bimmer.
also, lowering it with those fatass tires would look absolutely ridiculous.

EDIT: VMR wheels are not cheap??? If you go any cheaper than VMR you may end up in Honda Civic territory... which you may have already stepped into
      04-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Hehe no worries... I wanted the "fluid" feel of the spokes ... it might not've come out quite how I wanted it, though, but it's all right. For what my budget was, it was the best call, I think, as I wanted something dark... the wheels I really liked were the BBS CX-R, but they were roughly 3-4 times more expensive, or the VMRs, which aren't cheap either so maybe for the next set.

I'm reading a lot of positives about KW coilovers... what's the price differential like, installed, between just swapping the springs vs putting coilovers on? And ... I'm not too sure of the difference in terms of ride quality, handling, etc. Read through the stickies, but kind of unclear. Care to comment?
I think mwahlbert will have to chime in on this. He seems to have gone through 3 or 4 different set ups. Koni yellow/H&R drop, KW V1 and V2, and now KW Street Comfort..

I cant comment on all of those setups except KW V1. It is a little bit bumpier for me on the KW V1s, but its not as bad and I love the cornering and the feel of it. Sure, the drop looks good, but the handling really is different and I am enjoying my car even more! You will not regret it!

As for the price, there are many vendors here sell the KW V1/2/3 and other setups, ranging from $1200 (V1) - $1700 for V3? If you get it installed at the SupremePower, you're probably looking at $200ish. You have to PM Alex for a more accurate quote.

For me, adjusting the dampening and etc is not really important to me, so i just went with V1, which is still height adjustable, but not shock dampening adjustable.

I think you wont go wrong with KW.

Good luck man.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post

EDIT: VMR wheels are not cheap??? If you go any cheaper than VMR you may end up in Honda Civic territory... which you may have already stepped into
Haha, guess nobody likes the wheels. Oh well, I'm stuck with them for the moment anyway - no way I can afford another set for now. But hey - the tires are Nitto Invos! I actually went out of my way to find them.

I wanted to fill more of the wheel well with the tire, which is why I switched from 225/40-17 to a 245/40-18. I should take a better pic, they really aren't that ugly!

[EDIT] Actually, I don't know what VMRs go for. But they're nice, so I figured they were expensive.
      04-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:

man, you're harsh!! Give a fellow E90 member break man!

ha

but yea, I'd highly recommend you save up a little for a better wheel, because I think your OEM should probably look better than this one and you could save the money from this rim to get a better rim next time.

VMR are not exactly expensive.. they are GREAT value for the money and they are usually around $1000-1200 a set, which is not too bad, considering BBS would easily run you $3-4k a set!

I'd recommend VMR as well, for a starter set!

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:

ha

but yea, I'd highly recommend you save up a little for a better wheel, because I think your OEM should probably look better than this one and you could save the money from this rim to get a better rim next time.

VMR are not exactly expensive.. they are GREAT value for the money and they are usually around $1000-1200 a set, which is not too bad, considering BBS would easily run you $3-4k a set!

Yeah, I'll hang onto these for this season and maybe the next, and then upgrade to something different. I guess there's a reason why, when I posted a thread asking for Enkei WDM pics in the tires forum, nobody even replied (and then I went out, got them, posted car pics, and nobody replied to THAT, either)
      04-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:

ha

haha, was not my intention come come across like that

but yeah, you could get a set of 19" VMR VB3's for $800-900. V710's would run for about a $100 more. They are awesome wheels! I just got me a set to gunmetal V710's last Friday.

Not lowered yet, but i'm thinking of getting new springs for now (you could get a used set for $150) and then getting coilovers later.
Attached Images

04-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
haha, was not my intention come come across like that

but yeah, you could get a set of 19" VMR VB3's for $800-900. V710's would run for about a $100 more. They are awesome wheels! I just got me a set to gunmetal V710's last Friday.

Not lowered yet, but i'm thinking of getting new springs for now (you could get a used set for $150) and then getting coilovers later.
nice ride man! Good color too! (lol)

but to be on topic, if you're just getting the spring, your shock/suspention would wear out much quicker and the ride is harsher (if you're getting H&R), i had H&R on my IS300 and it was pretty harsh. BUT, if your car is a lease or if your not planning to keep the car for longer than 5 years, spring is not a bad idea.

I think you can get koni shock/H&R setup for about $600. Should consider those as well.

As to the OP, well, there might be a reason why no one replied... :P

VMR VB3s are $800-900? I think I asked for a quote earlier and i think it is $999/set? If they are for $900, they are great sets!

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
JBiddy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M

bro i think that u should put the stock rims back on. should look a lot better with a drop then the rims u have now sry
      04-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
nice ride man! Good color too! (lol)

but to be on topic, if you're just getting the spring, your shock/suspention would wear out much quicker and the ride is harsher (if you're getting H&R), i had H&R on my IS300 and it was pretty harsh. BUT, if your car is a lease or if your not planning to keep the car for longer than 5 years, spring is not a bad idea.

I think you can get koni shock/H&R setup for about $600. Should consider those as well.

As to the OP, well, there might be a reason why no one replied... :P

VMR VB3s are $800-900? I think I asked for a quote earlier and i think it is $999/set? If they are for $900, they are great sets!
yeah, the car is lease and i have just 2 more years to go, but i am planning on getting exact same ride, as soon as i'm done with this one, so i will be transferring everything over to the new one

i was looking at the BMW Performance springs. According to some reviews here, they lower the car about 1/2" and even give a smoother ride (that's on E90, not sure about E92). I may just go and get coilovers later, but aero lip is next on my to-do list

And my VMR's, with a set of General Exclaim UHP's and wheel locks, came up for a little over $1800 after taxes (that's without TPMS).
      04-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
yeah, the car is lease and i have just 2 more years to go, but i am planning on getting exact same ride, as soon as i'm done with this one, so i will be transferring everything over to the new one

i was looking at the BMW Performance springs. According to some reviews here, they lower the car about 1/2" and even give a smoother ride (that's on E90, not sure about E92). I may just go and get coilovers later, but aero lip is next on my to-do list

And my VMR's, with a set of General Exclaim UHP's and wheel locks, came up for a little over $1800 after taxes (that's without TPMS).
nice! I was deciding between the V710 and V715 as well, but went with the one with a lip.. :P

Since you do carry over the mods, then coilover isnt exactly a bad idea i think. You're refering to Mr.5's ride? yea, I read about that and its interesting actually and i almost went for the koni/spring set up.. but I'm happy with the KWs anyway, figured I might need to raise my height when it comes winter time.

Anyhow, to OP, my vote is on kw, lol

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Ok, I'll check to see how much I can get either one installed for locally.

And quit hating on the wheels. I'm starting to hate them myself :P They are staying until next year, then I'll see if I can sell them to some local riceboy and get VMRs or something. Heh.
      04-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Ok, I'll check to see how much I can get either one installed for locally.

And quit hating on the wheels. I'm starting to hate them myself :P They are staying until next year, then I'll see if I can sell them to some local riceboy and get VMRs or something. Heh.
where is your OEM? what style OEM you have?

OEM is pretty good too, you know..

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
where is your OEM? what style OEM you have?

OEM is pretty good too, you know..

Using my OEM for winter. It's the stock 335xi style .. style 188 I think? I didn't get ZSP, so the stock wheels had WAY too much clearance around the tires... so I'm selling the stock RFT 17s, I put on a set of Pilot Alpin PA3s on the OEMs, and got this summer set here.