E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Leak down test. How to know what valves are closed?

10-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Leak down test. How to know what valves are closed?

Instead of paying the dealer to do a leak down test for $350 I'm just going to buy a compressor and the Leak down test kit. This whole purchase is going to be about half the cost of getting the dealer to do it.

I used on these tools, and I've done many leak down test in the past my only question is how do I know when each cylinders valves are closed?

I don't see a TDC on the crank pulley.

I know if I really want to check I could just Remove the intake manifold and check if there valves are closed and spray carb cleaner in there and if it stays and doesn't leak it's sealed. But I much rather not do it this way.

Any help will be appreciated.

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Take a LONG 1/4" extension. Put it down the spark plug hole. Turn the motor over by hand. Watch the extension go up. When it reaches its highest point right before the piston starts to change its direction of travel you are @ TDC.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46
Take a LONG 1/4" extension. Put it down the spark plug hole. Turn the motor over by hand. Watch the extension go up. When it reaches its highest point right before the piston starts to change its direction of travel you are @ TDC.
Oh okay. Thanks!

I didn't think this trick would work on a BMW since everything is different and the spark plugs were different and what not.

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0