E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing a Matte/Frozen finish car: Suggestions

07-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
dollarbillyo
Cursed Beemer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235

Detailing a Matte/Frozen finish car: Suggestions

Just had the honey wagon finished in Frozen Graphite and have been washing the car myself. I'm curious as to what other posters who have a matte finish or professional detailers who worked on frozen finishes have done to wash/seal/protect the paint from damage (sun, oxidation etc.).

I am specifically looking for the correct soap and sealant that will make my baby look her best..any thoughts on a porter cable d/a in the process as I bought one prior to deciding to go the "frozen" route...

Thanks....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Repained in matte? May I ask how much?

I recall seeing this on the m3 forum which may be of use to you:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521374
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
nick 55
Late Braking
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe, C55, E55, hmm..

Garage List
Take a Porter Cable to it or any form of polish for that matter and you will forever change your Frozen paint to Frostbitten.

Matte finish paints can not be polished, scrubbed, or anything like that or you will cause permanent damage to it. You aren't even supposed to wax the finish because it will be filling in the microscopic surface in the clear coat that gives it the matte appearance.

Nick
      07-12-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
dollarbillyo
Cursed Beemer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick 55 View Post
Take a Porter Cable to it or any form of polish for that matter and you will forever change your Frozen paint to Frostbitten.

Matte finish paints can not be polished, scrubbed, or anything like that or you will cause permanent damage to it. You aren't even supposed to wax the finish because it will be filling in the microscopic surface in the clear coat that gives it the matte appearance.

Nick
Thanks for the heads up, I found a good thread in the M3 forum that helped and it seems as if you can wax the car....I figured as much with the PC/DA, just thought I would check if anyone has tried...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Matte or Satin Finish Paint

Do not polish, wet-sand or use conventional wax or use an automatic car wash that uses hot wax in the final rinse, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance will become ‘levelled ‘The textured finish is accomplished by a diffused 30 degree reflection and are retained very close to the clear coat surface. By levelling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’.

Use a machine polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner it will remove surface marring and leave it satin matte. Use a clear polymer, the key is to add surface protection and depth without adding gloss.

Swisswax Opaque products for matte finish paint and vinyl wraps have been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance in matt paint or vinyl wraps.

1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath and a 100 % cotton pile SV Waschpudel
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
7. Use Quick Finish Opaque to remove finger marks and smudges.

Application

Swissvax Car Bath Opaque
For best results, use at a dilution rate of 1:2000, which equates to 10 ml (one capful) in a Swissvax Smart Bucket (each bottle contains enough shampoo for approximately 25 washes). Simply add the correct amount of shampoo to your bucket and then fill rapidly to the top with warm tap water. If your water pressure is low and relatively few suds are produced, blast some cold water into the bucket with your hose – this will quickly generate more suds.

Swissvax Pre-Cleaner Opaque
For best results, lightly mist Swissvax Pre-Cleaner Opaque over a single panel at a time, and immediately wipe the panel down to spread a thin, even film of product using a 100% cotton micro fibre towel. Then refold your towel, and wipe the panel down again to fully remove the film and reveal a perfectly clean finish.

Swissvax Opaque
Should only be applied by hand. For best results, it should be applied to freshly cleansed paint or vinyl surfaces three to four panels at a time and as thinly and evenly as possible using a Swissvax Wax Applicator.

The resulting film should then be buffed off within a few minutes of application using a 100% cotton micro fibre towel; there is absolutely no need to allow the film to dry fully before it is removed (if you do, you will find that is more difficult to remove).

Swissvax Quick Finish Opaque
For best results, lightly mist Swissvax Quick Finish Opaque over a single panel at a time, and immediately wipe the panel down to spread a thin, even film of product using a 100% cotton micro fibre towel l. Then refold your towel and buff the panel down carefully to fully remove the film and reveal a perfect finish.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Awesome information (as always) in the post above.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Totally agrre with above. If it's an obscure detailing question TOWGT usually has the answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Sure hope your car isn't a daily driver, matte paint sounds like the biggest nightmare as far as detailing is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
dollarbillyo
Cursed Beemer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Do not polish, wet-sand or use conventional wax or use an automatic car wash that uses hot wax in the final rinse, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance will become ‘levelled ‘The textured finish is accomplished by a diffused 30 degree reflection and are retained very close to the clear coat surface. By levelling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’.

Use a machine polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner it will remove surface marring and leave it satin matte. Use a clear polymer, the key is to add surface protection and depth without adding gloss.

Swisswax Opaque products for matte finish paint and vinyl wraps have been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance in matt paint or vinyl wraps.

1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath and a 100 % cotton pile SV Waschpudel
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
7. Use Quick Finish Opaque to remove finger marks and smudges.

Application

Swissvax Car Bath Opaque
For best results, use at a dilution rate of 1:2000, which equates to 10 ml (one capful) in a Swissvax Smart Bucket (each bottle contains enough shampoo for approximately 25 washes). Simply add the correct amount of shampoo to your bucket and then fill rapidly to the top with warm tap water. If your water pressure is low and relatively few suds are produced, blast some cold water into the bucket with your hose – this will quickly generate more suds.

Swissvax Pre-Cleaner Opaque
For best results, lightly mist Swissvax Pre-Cleaner Opaque over a single panel at a time, and immediately wipe the panel down to spread a thin, even film of product using a 100% cotton micro fibre towel. Then refold your towel, and wipe the panel down again to fully remove the film and reveal a perfectly clean finish.

Swissvax Opaque
Should only be applied by hand. For best results, it should be applied to freshly cleansed paint or vinyl surfaces three to four panels at a time and as thinly and evenly as possible using a Swissvax Wax Applicator.

The resulting film should then be buffed off within a few minutes of application using a 100% cotton micro fibre towel; there is absolutely no need to allow the film to dry fully before it is removed (if you do, you will find that is more difficult to remove).

Swissvax Quick Finish Opaque
For best results, lightly mist Swissvax Quick Finish Opaque over a single panel at a time, and immediately wipe the panel down to spread a thin, even film of product using a 100% cotton micro fibre towel l. Then refold your towel and buff the panel down carefully to fully remove the film and reveal a perfect finish.
Thank you so much for the information. I knew that this forum with e90post.com would answer all of my questions and more....will keep you informed as to my progress..
Appreciate 0