E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > rattle above headliner?

05-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

rattle above headliner?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2009 e90 sedan and I've been hearing an intermittent "tick-tick" rattle sound coming from above and behind me when I drive over bumps. I recently figured out that I can make it go away for a little while by pushing on the headliner right behind the rear overhead light panel. When I press there, there's some initial give, then I feel like the headline is contacting a sticky surface above it. I think whatever's loose and rattling gets stuck to that surface for awhile and gets rid of the rattle until it comes off again. Hopefully that makes sense.

My question for you guys: how easy would it be for me (or a dealership) to access the source of the rattle? Trying to decide whether to figure out a DIY, ask my indy about it when i get my oil changed this week, or a take it to a dealership and push for CPO coverage.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
      05-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
cisf0rcalvin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Try taking off your rear light panel and see if you can feel a part # sticker inside the gap where its ticking. I had mine creak when I was driving on the freeway and it was driving me nuts because its right behind my ear. Turns out the sticker was loose and half of it was coming off so i just removed it. Of course the dealer couldn't find the noise when I brought it in for them to see before I attempted fixing it myself.

Its very easy to take off the rear light panel. Just pull down. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231
Add Ons: Charcoal Filter Delete, K&N Drop-in, Air Scoops, HID Angel Eyes, Splitters, M3 Lip Spoiler, Gloss Black Kidney Grills, Blackvue DR500-GW, M-Tech rear, BMW Performance Exhaust, M3 control arms, Bilstein HD
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
E90's headliner is so flimsy...it flexes when you press on it, makes it feel cheap. But yea just use that DIY to open it up probably a loose screw.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
E90's headliner is so flimsy...it flexes when you press on it, makes it feel cheap. But yea just use that DIY to open it up probably a loose screw.
It seems like that DIY gets me into the light panel, but not the space right above the headliner behind it, right? I'll check it out, but I'm pretty sure the rattle is located behind the panel. It goes away when I press there.