E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > A few modification questions

08-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
hellario
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

A few modification questions

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some input on a few issues I've been mauling over. I want to only do a few mods to my 08 335i and would appreciate some input:

ECU tune: I'm stuck between JB4 and Cobb. Is there a tiebreaker? JB4 is cheaper but it seems Cobb is more convenient and there are software updates...

Intake: since all I'm doing is ECU tune and exhaust and I live in California (I'm concerned about passing smog checks and would like not to have to put in stock just to pass), should I just do a drop-in K&N, or is something like BMS Performance Intake or DCI the way to go, or is there a better option?

Exhaust: I'm partial to HPF exhaust sound but just want to make sure that something like that won't cause me to fail smog checks or maybe there's an option that sounds good, gives a decent performance increase and still California approved?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Mkah
Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Yeah
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
hellario
Rep

lol It's nice that you agree, but can you be just slightly more specific?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
You really can't go wrong with either tune. Since you're not doing extensive mods, it really comes down to which one appeals to you. JB4 has great auto-tuning abilities, E85 support, on-the-fly controls and out of the box meth support if you want to add it. Biggest downside is obviously installation and hardware sitting in your ECU box.

COBB is stupidly simple to install, no hardware left in your car and getting a lot of focus lately around E85, race, meth and ATR maps. Biggest downside is they don't have auto-tuning so you're stuck with a few maps based on your mods. And they are especially conservative with CA91 gas. To get the absolute best out of it, you'd have to consider a custom tune, but you're local to SoCal COBB, so that's a plus.

For intake, just get a DCI. If you absolutely have to reinstall the stock, it doesn't take that long, it's not like downpipes or exhaust. Another option is Injen which is CARB approved.

For exhaust, if you're so worried about smog that it's impacting your decision on intakes, I'm not sure what you think you will do here. Anything except a muffler won't pass. Almost all "cat-backs" still remove the secondary cats on our cars.
      08-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
hellario
Rep

Thanks skinrock, it sounds like it may be best to hold off on ECU until I settle on the other upgrades first.

I'll go with DCI then, but as far as exhaust, I just can't help but wonder if there are some full exhaust systems that are approved in California. God knows there's enough of them buzzing by my window.

If I do get HPF Gen2, that's an automatic fail then? Are there some shops that may look the other way?

A bit of background: I only had a short ram intake in my old car but after going to like 5 different smog check stations I couldn't find one that would pass me, so I just didn't renew registration and traded it in for my e92 I'm not ready to trade this baby in yet, though!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
(this is coming from a COBB user) Go with the JB4 -- Since you're concerned about heavily modding your car because of CA's emissions laws, it doesn't sound like you'd go FBO b/c of DPs.

Going with the JB4, it'll allow you to take advantage of not only the Auto-Tune feature (the car basically makes a custom tune to the mods you have installed & quality of fuel you're using), BUT you'll also get to take advantage of E85 fuel. E85 is becoming the big thing & it'll give you a really nice power increase over standard pump gas.

IIRC, the Injen intake is approved for CA usage. I don't believe that any of the DCIs (BMS, ETS, aFe, etc), so that might be the only "affordable" intake that's okay for CA usage.

Exhaust, go with the BMW PE. It's an axle-back exhaust but will give you a great change in the sound, allows you to continue to use manufacturer quality parts & remain compliant with CA laws. There are a couple other axle-backs you could consider like the Akrapovic Slip-On, Billy Boat, Eisenmann, Remus, Rogue Engineering and UUC/Corsa
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
ar design II
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
(this is coming from a COBB user) Go with the JB4 -- Since you're concerned about heavily modding your car because of CA's emissions laws, it doesn't sound like you'd go FBO b/c of DPs.

Going with the JB4, it'll allow you to take advantage of not only the Auto-Tune feature (the car basically makes a custom tune to the mods you have installed & quality of fuel you're using), BUT you'll also get to take advantage of E85 fuel. E85 is becoming the big thing & it'll give you a really nice power increase over standard pump gas.

IIRC, the Injen intake is approved for CA usage. I don't believe that any of the DCIs (BMS, ETS, aFe, etc), so that might be the only "affordable" intake that's okay for CA usage.

Exhaust, go with the BMW PE. It's an axle-back exhaust but will give you a great change in the sound, allows you to continue to use manufacturer quality parts & remain compliant with CA laws. There are a couple other axle-backs you could consider like the Akrapovic Slip-On, Billy Boat, Eisenmann, Remus, Rogue Engineering and UUC/Corsa
I agree except i think i would go with the cobb just cause the day to day drive ability will be a little better and i'm sure cobb will be releasing more maps at some point.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai @ AR Design View Post
I agree except i think i would go with the cobb just cause the day to day drive ability will be a little better and i'm sure cobb will be releasing more maps at some point.
COBB's come out & said that (as of right now) they will NOT be releasing any E85 Maps b/c of the varying quality of E85 across of country.

Not sure if you want to wait or pay the extra coin for a ProTune'd map
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
hellario
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post

Sorry, can you give me a link to the BMW PE? I'm having a hard time pinning it down since it keeps taking me to performance aftermarket exhausts.

Thanks for a lot of good info, though! Corsa probably sounds the best to me, but I don't see any claims to increase power. I don't think it'll be worth it to me to get it just for the sound (at least before the car is paid off completely).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

I've a JB4, BMS DCI and running the new map 5 (e85 map) and a mix of E85. The car runs great, close to 390whp just with that. The JB4 takes 40min to install the first time, 20min the second time.
You have the choice of 8 maps, all different and great. I'm also amazed by Terry's support, every time you have a problem, email him and he will get back to you within 2hrs. Never seem a customer support like that, just amazing.
For the exhaust sound, I unplugged the wire going to the left exhaust flap so it's open all the time, it will give you a much better sound and cost $0.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
hellario
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfabry View Post
I've a JB4, BMS DCI and running the new map 5 (e85 map) and a mix of E85. The car runs great, close to 390whp just with that. The JB4 takes 40min to install the first time, 20min the second time.
You have the choice of 8 maps, all different and great. I'm also amazed by Terry's support, every time you have a problem, email him and he will get back to you within 2hrs. Never seem a customer support like that, just amazing.
For the exhaust sound, I unplugged the wire going to the left exhaust flap so it's open all the time, it will give you a much better sound and cost $0.
Customer service does sound good, but what kinds of problems do you get with JB4?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfabry View Post
+1

This is exactly what I run and it works perfectly. The boost gauge in dash is something you will really miss with the cobb, and the ability to fill up with e85 for a power boost on demand is amazing. As far as install/problems, don't worry. Its really easy and I haven't had any issues.

Last edited by E90Company; 08-03-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
zztwinturbozz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

I don't know man do some more searching before you decide. I personally saw way more cars having problems with jb4 than Cobb. I chose Cobb and it was the easiest install you could ever imagine and you can check and clear codes, monitor performance, etc etc all while driving. Highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

I would suggest jb4 , stage 2, cp-e catless downpipes, burger oil catch can, and wrap the exhaust in exhaust wrap :> I'm planning on keeping this car for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztwinturbozz View Post
I don't know man do some more searching before you decide. I personally saw way more cars having problems with jb4 than Cobb. I chose Cobb and it was the easiest install you could ever imagine and you can check and clear codes, monitor performance, etc etc all while driving. Highly recommend.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
+1

This is exactly what I run and it works perfectly. The boost gauge in dash is something you will really miss with the cobb, and the ability to fill up with e85 for a power boost on demand is amazing. As far as install/problems, don't worry. Its really easy and I haven't had any issues.
Gauge Hijacking is a nice trick, but I'd rather have a quality running car then see my Fuel/Oil Temp Gauges go back and forth. The piggy's are great, but the COBB is def become a higher quality tune (especially now with the E85 Fueling Tables) that allows the car the run "happier" at a higher performance setting. The fact that it allows you to tune in depth (alter timing, AFRs, Fueling Tables, etc) means you get an actual tune instead of intercepted & retransmitted signals (like w/ the piggys). The piggy's don't allow you to go anywhere near as in-depth with your tuning. The piggy's greatest selling point is Meth Management, something that none of the Flashes are capable of
Appreciate 0