E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Haze develops after using P21S wax? normal?

09-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Haze develops after using P21S wax? normal?

Hey guys, I've got a new sapphire black metallic car and I've waxed it 3 times in the 3600 miles I've had it. I've only used high quality waffle weave towels to dry, microfiber towels for any buffing etc on paint surfaces as well as microfiber wash mitts.

The issue is that about 2 days after I wax my car, a haze forms on the hood of the car that looks like it might be due to engine heat. The haze looks similar to a very light layer of dew, but it will show the direction in which I buffed the wax off. It isn't swirls or anything.

Also noticed that if I only wash and don't wax, the paint does not do this.

Is the engine heat baking the wax? or am I not waxing properly or something?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
why have you waxed your car three times already?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I have found with carnuba waxes that hazing occurs on my hood as well. This happens for me with Dodo Juice waxes. I don't really think it can be avoided. The best way to deal with it is to keep a bottle of quick detailer in the fridge and to spray the hood with cold QD and lightly wipe away. It sounds silly, but it really works and immediately gets rid of the hazing.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
I have found with carnuba waxes that hazing occurs on my hood as well. This happens for me with Dodo Juice waxes. I don't really think it can be avoided. The best way to deal with it is to keep a bottle of quick detailer in the fridge and to spray the hood with cold QD and lightly wipe away. It sounds silly, but it really works and immediately gets rid of the hazing.
Isn't it bad to do this since you'd in essence be rubbing dirt particles into the clearcoat? I have gotten into the habit of avoiding rubbing anything at all on the paints surface unless it's getting an actual wash or any kind of detail.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

This is an example of why we often tell our clients their car will look better after the first wash if we use a wax with a high carnauba content. When you get a lot of carnauba, you need a lot of solvents to suspend that wax. The solvents escaping is what is causing the haze. One way to avoid this is to apply the wax thinner. You should always apply wax and sealant as thin as humanly possible as you'll actually get more protection from doing so. With wax, if you apply a super thin layer, the solvents in that layer will escape easier (not as much paste to go through), leaving a higher amount of actual wax on your surface. If you apply a thick layer, you'll often times get less wax left behind.
Sometimes no matter how thin we attempt to apply the wax, there can still be hazing problems. Another thing you can do to help is to wax late in the afternoon. Giving as much time as possible before the paint will be outside can certainly help, but often you'll likely notice the paint looks even better after the first wash.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^wow, great to know. It leaves one question though....why does this only happen on the hood and barely if at all on other surfaces? Does the heat amplify this effect? Assuming engine bay heat warms up the wax on the hood much more. I've been certainly caking the stuff on heavy and letting it dry thoroughly, though that has been making it difficult to buff off.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
^wow, great to know. It leaves one question though....why does this only happen on the hood and barely if at all on other surfaces? Does the heat amplify this effect? Assuming engine bay heat warms up the wax on the hood much more. I've been certainly caking the stuff on heavy and letting it dry thoroughly, though that has been making it difficult to buff off.
Stop caking it on first off - you're wasting product (therefor money) and getting less protection from it.

The hood is a huge flat surface and it usually draws more heat from the sun than other panels.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
toymaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

If you apply carnuba wax after sealant, the wax can haze.
Sealant OR wax IMHO
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

this used to happen to me as well. make sure you are only applying the wax when the car (especially the hood) is cool to the touch. if you're applying the wax on even a warm hood, you'll get that hazing later on. definitely stop caking on the stuff and learn to apply wax in thin layers. I would suggest waxing the next morning, after the car has had time to cool down.

also, waxing 3 times in the span of 3600 miles is way too much. a good wax should last a few months.
      09-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisE92 View Post
also, waxing 3 times in the span of 3600 miles is way too much. a good wax should last a few months.
Whoa Whoa Whoa there... nothing wrong with a layer every 1200 miles!
Wait until I have a garage... my waxing per mile ratio is going to be CRAZY
Appreciate 0