E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Another reason why BMW should make LSD standard!

01-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #67
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Map,

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to respond with an informative and well thought out post. I spend the majority of my time on the M3 forum and noticed over there that you were purchasing an M3. Congratulations on your magic carpet ride. I am truly jealous. I have been debating b/w the M3 and the new Cayman S with DFI and finally a limited slip differential option. Though Porsche continues to price gauge by forcing one to buy 19" wheels so when can have the privelage to spend more money on an LSD. An option that should have been standard when the Cayman S was introduced as an 06. Most people didn't know this but until the 2009 C2S came out you, couldn't get a limited slip on a CS2 for many a year in the U.S. The LSD is not quite as critical on the 997 because of the engine weight behind the rear axle but it is still a must have option on any sports car.

The 370Z has an LSD as part of sport package as I believe the G37 does as well. There are number of less expensive cars than the 3 series that offer an LSD option.

My only hang up with the M3 is it's atrocious mileage. The M Division made a major mistake focussing on electronic gizmos with the M3 rather than putting R&D into giving the S65 the DFI it deserves. Imagine 25 more horsepower and another 3 miles to the gallon. I hope BMW doesn't give up on the S65 and looks to implement DFI rather than go the easy route like almost everyone else with FI.

Map, can you provide any information at this point about the 335tii? Roundel said it would be released in the next year but BMW has been oh so quiet since the initial hullabaloo. Most importantly, will BMW offer an LSD as an option? If it does, this would be the great compromise in regards to a price to efficiency to performance ratio. Yes, BMW could then use the "efficient dynamics" moniker with integrity.
Ruff,
The ///m3 does not have to have all the electronics and gizmos, you can get one with none of that. Mine is loaded with gizmos b/c otherwise the bumps on the highways where I live would make the car unbearable... without EDC the bumps overwhelmed me but with it they are a non-issue. As for the mpg... I have about 700 miles on my car and the avg. is 19.9. That is a mix of about 60% highway and 40% city.... still in the break in so 5.5k rpm is the cap under 3k it is quiet and efficient after that it is a beast.

BMW has been slow to launch a naturally aspirated DI engine in the US b/c of the issues with sulfur in the fuels, even though we are now low-sulfur the supply chain is so inconsistent they can not get the lean burn (the only DI engine BMW will build now... most other brands are not lean burn) to not produce too much NOx and thus decrease the emissions control devices.

(There is some indication that the fuel pump issues in the US are also being partly caused by fuel issues.)

I have been hearing about this tii line for about a year now, it is going to happen it is just a matter of when. I anticipate a bunch of changes in BMWs US philosophy come this summer/fall. The ///M Sport finally coming here is a hint at what really is in store, call it a warm up to estimate the market. Like I said they do everything for a reason.

Having contemplated a Porsche for the past 5 years or so, I just can't deal with the way they package and price things. There is a reason they make so much profit per car.... they gauge.
      01-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #68
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
DTC is nothing like a LSD.
Your experience is different than mine. All LSD’s are not created equal, so maybe we are talking about different things.

In a way, you are right, it is not as good as a ///m diff, or a good Torsen, or a Quaif on the track (or when smoking your tires?)

However, on the street on my car it loses NOTHING compared to a typical viscous LSD (OK, maybe I lose a little brake pad wear!). It actually (and to my surprise) works quite well.

:-)

Mapezzul summed it up well.

For marketing cost and a business standpoint (yes they are a business), the e-diff meets the needs of most of the 3er buyers (weight, cost, repairs, mpg), and even throws a small bone to the performance gang.

Heck, I was looking at spending what, $3,000, to get a LSD, and then when I actually drive my car I find it already has a fairly functional one.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #69
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Pretty sure the 335tii got scrapped due to cutbacks... read it on here about 4 or 5 months ago...
      01-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #70
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk335i View Post
Pretty sure the 335tii got scrapped due to cutbacks... read it on here about 4 or 5 months ago...
Nope...
      01-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #71
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

so I have a 4/08 build and was thinking about the quaife lsd, so it may not be worth the money because the e-diff is 90% just as effective?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #72
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
so I have a 4/08 build and was thinking about the quaife lsd, so it may not be worth the money because the e-diff is 90% just as effective?
In my case that is true - I'm no longer planning on getting a Quaife. No need to for me.

Really, you have to ask yourself why you want an LSD? Then, turn off the DSC, and DTC, and drive the car under those conditions. Does it drive the way you want it to? If yes, then you are good to go. If not, then you probably know the difference between Viscous, Clutch, Torsen, Quaife, ///M differentials, and know what you want to buy and why.

That is what started this whole investigation for me. I was frustrated at the inside wheel spin (under aggressive cornering) on the cars I test drove, but when my car came in I was surprised to find it did not have the same inside wheel spin - it drove great - so I started asking questions.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #73
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

This is because you don't have real snow. TODAY would be a great day to have a real LSD.

STANDARD ON A CIVIC SI.
Appreciate 0