E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > gears shifting hard on automatic trans

11-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #23
tdot328Xi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcs View Post
Hope you won't have to rebuild it...Do you think changing the fluid previously caused this to happen? Was the car shifting rough prior to the fluid change?
Yes, the car was also shifting rough prior to fluid change. so, definitely fluid did not cause this issue. and i'm definitely not looking for rebuild as well.

i will update after about 200km to see if clearing adaptation helped or no. let say if it doesn't then is there any other solution other than re-build?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot328Xi View Post
Yes, the car was also shifting rough prior to fluid change. so, definitely fluid did not cause this issue. and i'm definitely not looking for rebuild as well.

i will update after about 200km to see if clearing adaptation helped or no. let say if it doesn't then is there any other solution other than re-build?
Good that its not the fluid. My car does shift poorly too after driving in the city with traffic. I do the throttle reset thing and I do feel a noticeable difference, not sure if placebo effect cause some post say there is not such thing. You might want to try that out (but don't count on it).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321049
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
tdot328Xi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcs View Post
Good that its not the fluid. My car does shift poorly too after driving in the city with traffic. I do the throttle reset thing and I do feel a noticeable difference, not sure if placebo effect cause some post say there is not such thing. You might want to try that out (but don't count on it).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321049
I will give it a shot after a week or two. How often do you do this procedure?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
Zysos617
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

probly was a leaky tranny before? then tranny has some dmg done already. nothing will fix it cept for rebuild or replace......

when did you get the car? if you are not the first owner, you dont know if the tranny leaked oil before. sounds like it did. oil pan leak so common.

i wouldnt rebuild it. at least wait till it dies to rebuild. i doubt it will die. just not smooth. to save some $ i guess u just deal with it. its 160k anywayz. drive 1 or 2 more years then replace the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
tdot328Xi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zysos617 View Post
probly was a leaky tranny before? then tranny has some dmg done already. nothing will fix it cept for rebuild or replace......

when did you get the car? if you are not the first owner, you dont know if the tranny leaked oil before. sounds like it did. oil pan leak so common.

i wouldnt rebuild it. at least wait till it dies to rebuild. i doubt it will die. just not smooth. to save some $ i guess u just deal with it. its 160k anywayz. drive 1 or 2 more years then replace the car.
I'm not the first owner of the car. I'll keep trying alternative solutions (no re-build) and see if it helps or improve. currently main issue is when is shifts from 1st to 2nd other transition seems to have improved after adaptation reset today. already drove about 100KM after reset today.

i need to purchase spark plugs and replace those next. cheapest i found was 18/each from dealer. is it worth buying from dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #28
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

GM trannies rarely leak.
The problamatic ones are the zf trannies which arent on teh 328 because of their plastic panels.

GM trannies have metal pan.

My at is rough as well. I think it's the nature of the tranny. Dealer involved hq and they ran diagnostics on my car. They checked for gear slippage and all was within spec. I guess I don't have enough damage to trigger an error.
I did a fluid flush to see if it helped..made it a little better but not 100% perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #29
tdot328Xi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
GM trannies rarely leak.
The problamatic ones are the zf trannies which arent on teh 328 because of their plastic panels.

GM trannies have metal pan.

My at is rough as well. I think it's the nature of the tranny. Dealer involved hq and they ran diagnostics on my car. They checked for gear slippage and all was within spec. I guess I don't have enough damage to trigger an error.
I did a fluid flush to see if it helped..made it a little better but not 100% perfect.
I just picked up the history of repair on my car from dealer and there is a mention of AT being too rough and they did some programming at that point under warranty but no mention of leak or any other work.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
virk007
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot328Xi View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
tdot328Xi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
any updates?
nope, still the same issue. no change what so ever. Initially i thought it there was a difference but after couple of days of driving, it all came back. I'm waiting until i get an error message as computer did not see anything wrong with it.

Not happy with ride quality but just have to live with it for now i think....
Appreciate 0