E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > About to order a Porter Cable 7424 kit - Suggestions please

07-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #45
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Stay away from PBMG waxes or any products they make (Wolfgang, Pinnacle, DP, Blackfire) with the exception of the sealants and tire shines.
Wait but I thought Menzerna was also PBMG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
I'm not sure if I can help you there. I haven't use a lot of paste wax so I'm inexperience with that. The best you can do is do some research and find what's best for you in your price range then decide on there.

Also found a 20% code for Autogeek orders "forumjuly". Can't combine it though but if you're looking to place a big order from Autogeek the 20% might be better than the free shipping.
Ok thanks for all the codes. I'm using all these other different codes and going to place a few smaller orders. Pads/backing plate with 15% from ADS, polisher/nanoskin from amazon, menzerna with 30% from autogeek, and sonax with 20% from autogeek
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #46
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok so checked a bunch of prices and here's where i'm at in terms of what i'm ordering and from where. Would love to have you guys look over and see if theres anything else I need. Still undecided on wax... Otruba suggested the $40 auto finesse wax (temptation I think), has anyone tried that? Also should I grab a 5.5" microfiber cutting pad or will I be fine with the cyan hydrotech? Ok here's the list.

Autogeek with forumjuly code $151.92
-Sonax perfect finish (comes with 1 pad. I'll probably choose crimson hydrotech)
-Menz FG400
-Menz SI 1500
-Menz power lock

Autoality with free shipping $46.95
-Buff & Shine 5" backing plate
-5 pack of low profile 5.5" hydrotech pads (probably going to get 2 cyan, 2 tangerine, and 1 crimson since the perfect finish will also come with a pad)

Amazon
-Griots 6"
-Nanoskin medium grade

So how's that look? I already have most of the other stuff for a wash. 36 Chemical guys towels, foam lance, lambswool mitt, drying towel, etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Wait but I thought Menzerna was also PBMG?
Menzerna was founded in 1888 (Germany). PBMG partnered with Menzerna in developing exclusive Private Brand products. I am pretty sure they both are separate entities.
      07-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #48
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Menzerna was founded in 1888 (Germany). PBMG partnered with Menzerna in developing exclusive Private Brand products. I am pretty sure they both are separate entities.
Ahh that makes sense then the partnership is probably the part I read about
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #49
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Quote:
Ok so checked a bunch of prices and here's where i'm at in terms of what i'm ordering and from where. Would love to have you guys look over and see if theres anything else I need. Still undecided on wax... Otruba suggested the $40 auto finesse wax (temptation I think), has anyone tried that? Also should I grab a 5.5" microfiber cutting pad or will I be fine with the cyan hydrotech? Ok here's the list.

Autogeek with forumjuly code $151.92
-Sonax perfect finish (comes with 1 pad. I'll probably choose crimson hydrotech)
-Menz FG400
-Menz SI 1500
-Menz power lock

Autoality with free shipping $46.95
-Buff & Shine 5" backing plate
-5 pack of low profile 5.5" hydrotech pads (probably going to get 2 cyan, 2 tangerine, and 1 crimson since the perfect finish will also come with a pad)

Amazon
-Griots 6"
-Nanoskin medium grade

So how's that look? I already have most of the other stuff for a wash. 36 Chemical guys towels, foam lance, lambswool mitt, drying towel, etc..
Do you have someway of cleaning the pads yet? If you have an air compressor it's a great way to clean the pads. If not than you can either use a foam pad cleaning brush or terry cloth towel.

Not sure why Otruba_843 said to stay away from PBMG waxes but I've heard great things about a few of them especially Pinnacle Souveran wax. I haven't used any of them myself though.

Here's some waxes you can try I've heard about that's between $30-$60 :

Collinite 915
Victoria Concours Red
Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax
Chemical Guys Pete's 53' Carnauba Paste
Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax
P21S Concours Carnauba Paste Wax
Detailer's Max Wax
Bouncer's Vanilla Ice
Autoglym High Definition Wax

Last edited by Zero_09; 07-21-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #50
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have someway of cleaning the pads yet? If you have an air compressor it's a great way to clean the pads. If not than you can either use a foam pad cleaning brush or terry cloth towel.

Not sure why Otruba_843 said to stay away from PBMG waxes but I've heard great things about a few of them especially Pinnacle Souveran wax. I haven't used any of them myself though.

Collinite 915
Victoria Concours Red
Detailer's Max Wax
Bouncer's Vanilla Ice
No air compressor unfortunately. I was just going to use a terry cloth as my plan. I'm going to look up some reviews of some of those waxes now. I have the DP max wax in my cart now and I want to order by tonight. Only thing that's kept me from ordering the max wax right now is the beading. It seems decent but not as good as the collinite. Already ordered the polisher from amazon so now waiting until I have my final decision on products.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #51
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No air compressor unfortunately. I was just going to use a terry cloth as my plan. I'm going to look up some reviews of some of those waxes now. I have the DP max wax in my cart now and I want to order by tonight. Only thing that's kept me from ordering the max wax right now is the beading. It seems decent but not as good as the collinite. Already ordered the polisher from amazon so now waiting until I have my final decision on products.
Personally I'd get the Collinite 915. Very well review product. If you can't decide you can always get both

Something a little cheaper from Bouncer's but the durability is not as good as Vanilla Ice which claims up 4-6 months durability while Salute the Fruit is 3-4 months

http://www.autogeek.net/bouncers-sal...t-car-wax.html
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #52
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Personally I'd get the Collinite 915. Very well review product. If you can't decide you can always get both

Something a little cheaper from Bouncer's but the durability is not as good as Vanilla Ice which claims up 4-6 months durability while Salute the Fruit is 3-4 months

http://www.autogeek.net/bouncers-sal...t-car-wax.html
I like the collinite but the reviews about it being hard to take off are what worries me. I really want an easy and painless wax. I just started reading about the two bouncers $60 waxes and they seem great. So far i've read about the Sherbet Fizz which seems perfect. Good durability, beading, and looks. Gonna read about salute the fruit now and probably pick one of those.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #53
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:

Collinite 915
Victoria Concours Red
Detailer's Max Wax
Bouncer's Vanilla Ice
Well for starters, Pinnacle Souvern lasts a month at best. You are probably lucky if you get 2 weeks out of it. It only looks good on non-metallic dark paints. Wolfgang Fuzion might be the most over-priced crap wax I have ever used. Yeah it's easy to apply and remove, but the looks sucked and the beading and sheeting were worse than a $10 wax from Walmart (I'm not kidding, go look on youtube and see). Peter, if you are interested in Bouncers waxes, talk to Mostastic on the forum. He used Salute the Fruit from them. My point is that for the money, there are a lot better waxes out there then over priced PBMG waxes.

Last edited by Otruba_843; 07-21-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #54
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well for starters, Pinnacle Souvern lasts a month at best. You are probably lucky if you get 2 weeks out of it. It only looks good on non-metallic dark paints. Wolfgang Fuzion might be the most over-priced crap wax I have ever used. Yeah it's easy to apply and remove, but the looks sucked and the beading and sheeting were worse than a $10 wax from Walmart (I'm not kidding, go look on youtube and see). Peter, if you are interested in Bouncers waxes, talk to Mostastic on the forum. He used Salute the Fruit from them. My point is that for the money, there is a lot better waxes out there then over priced PBMG waxes.
Which Peter are you talking to????
      07-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #55
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Psmitty. Are you a Peter too lol?
      07-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #56
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Psmitty. Are you a Peter too lol?
Yes. I am.

Last edited by psnt1ol; 07-25-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #57
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well for starters, Pinnacle Souvern lasts a month at best. You are probably lucky if you get 2 weeks out of it. It only looks good on non-metallic dark paints. Wolfgang Fuzion might be the most over-priced crap wax I have ever used. Yeah it's easy to apply and remove, but the looks sucked and the beading and sheeting were worse than a $10 wax from Walmart (I'm not kidding, go look on youtube and see). Peter, if you are interested in Bouncers waxes, talk to Mostastic on the forum. He used Salute the Fruit from them. My point is that for the money, there are a lot better waxes out there then over priced PBMG waxes.
Yes I agree. Maybe that's why I haven't touch any of the PBMG waxes.

Also there's another forum I frequent. Might want to check it out. Not as active as AG but some pretty good info there also.

http://www.live2detail.com/forum.php
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #58
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Yea I think I kinda have my mind up on doing a bouncers wax now... Only thing left to decide is Salute the Fruit or Sherbet Fizz. I've heard great things about Sherbet Fizz and the sheeting look amazing (see video below). I've been trying to get some info on the Salute the Fruit but haven't really been able to find anything. @motastic do you have any comments on it?

Edit: Also forgot to mention I finally started ordering some of the stuff. So far what i've ordered is the following
-Griots 6"
Nanoskin medium grade wash mitt
-5" backing plate
-10 5.5" hydrotech pads (4 cyan, 4 tangerine, 2 crimson)
-2 Lake country 5.25" ultra-fiber pads
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #59
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

If you're color have metallic use Salute the Fruit. I heard they it really makes the metallic flakes pop. Also if you're worried about durability just use a sealant before you put the Bouncer's wax on.

Just wondering if you're getting it at AG? You can get it at Car Pro US
They have it for $50.99 with a free BOA towel and yellow foam applicator. You can also check out other stuff and see if you need anything else. Use coupon code " FREE75" for free shipping on orders over $75.

Just make an account to get it at that price. The account is free. If you don't see the discount just send an email to Corey@CarPro-US.com so he can activate the account with the discounts.

Also just a little tip for Bouncer's wax. Try to apply it very thin or it's going to be real tough to get off.

Quote:
Place the applicator in the jar and lightly turn from 12:00 to 3:00 clockwise.
Spread as far as it will go
Wipe off in the time specified on the jar.

If you have applied too thick:
Take a mf towel with very short nap referred to as a terry weave or polish removal towel. Take small bites out at a time.
Quote:
Thin one panel at a time, remove in 1-3 min depending on the temperature, never allow wax to dry on paintwork. Even in the A/C I'll do no more than 2 panels. If I do more and let it dry... it's a pain to remove.

I remove using two towels. The first gets the majority of the residue and the second towel uses the remaining wax and buffs to a high gloss. This keeps the final buffing towel clean. Half way through the wax job, the second buffing towel becomes the first wax remover and I'll final buff with a new second.
I just applied some Vanilla Ice this evening and I applied it thin and it still took my quite a bit of time to do the whole vehicle.

Quote:
Edit: Also forgot to mention I finally started ordering some of the stuff. So far what i've ordered is the following
-Griots 6"
Nanoskin medium grade wash mitt
-5" backing plate
-10 5.5" hydrotech pads (4 cyan, 4 tangerine, 2 crimson)
-2 Lake country 5.25" ultra-fiber pads
Where are you ordering this? I'll check if you can get better discounts with Car-Pro US on my account.

Here's a list of wax reviews at L2D

http://www.live2detail.com/showthrea...ly-Nuba-Thread

Last edited by Zero_09; 07-21-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #60
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're color have metallic use Salute the Fruit. I heard they it really makes the metallic flakes pop. Also if you're worried about durability just use a sealant before you put the Bouncer's wax on.

Just wondering if you're getting it at AG? You can get it at Car Pro US
They have it for $50.99 with a free BOA towel and yellow foam applicator. You can also check out other stuff and see if you need anything else. Use coupon code " FREE75" for free shipping on orders over $75.

Just make an account to get it at that price. The account is free. If you don't see the discount just send an email to Corey@CarPro-US.com so he can activate the account with the discounts.

Also just a little tip for Bouncer's wax. Try to apply it very thin or it's going to be real tough to get off.

I just applied some Vanilla Ice this evening and I applied it thin and it still took my quite a bit of time to do the whole vehicle.

Where are you ordering this? I'll check if you can get better discounts with Car-Pro US on my account.

Here's a list of wax reviews at L2D

http://www.live2detail.com/showthrea...ly-Nuba-Thread
Ok might have to order the wax from car-pro. I basically cross checked autogeek with ADS and autoality today with prices on everything. Autoality wound up being the cheapest for pads and such even though ADS had a 15% pads and backing plate code. I got the backing plate, and all pads from autoality. The polisher and nanoskin I got from amazon. All the other stuff I was going to order from AG since they were the cheapest. I checked my PM on the forum and I have a free shipping code "AG2013" and the PM said put "15% off for forum members only" in the comments. With all that I did the math and my order from AG comes out to $186 ish.

My cart at AG and pretty much the last set of stuff i'm planning on ordering is the following:
-Sonax Perfect finish (includes free foam pad. Was gonna do another crimson hydrotech)
-Menzerna FG400
-Menzerna SI 1500
-Menzerna power lock
-Free sample of black fire all purpose cleaner
-Bouncers Sherbet Fizz (this is subject to change depending on which bouncers I go with. Same price though)

Let me know if car-pro winds up being better for all that. Total with free shipping is 219.95. With 15% off if that offer in my PM still stands it comes out to $187 ish. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #61
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pick up 4 of the orange 5.5 inch buff and shine microfiber pads if you end up ordering from carpro. They are the shizz.
      07-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #62
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok might have to order the wax from car-pro. I basically cross checked autogeek with ADS and autoality today with prices on everything. Autoality wound up being the cheapest for pads and such even though ADS had a 15% pads and backing plate code. I got the backing plate, and all pads from autoality. The polisher and nanoskin I got from amazon. All the other stuff I was going to order from AG since they were the cheapest. I checked my PM on the forum and I have a free shipping code "AG2013" and the PM said put "15% off for forum members only" in the comments. With all that I did the math and my order from AG comes out to $186 ish.

My cart at AG and pretty much the last set of stuff i'm planning on ordering is the following:
-Sonax Perfect finish (includes free foam pad. Was gonna do another crimson hydrotech)
-Menzerna FG400
-Menzerna SI 1500
-Menzerna power lock
-Free sample of black fire all purpose cleaner
-Bouncers Sherbet Fizz (this is subject to change depending on which bouncers I go with. Same price though)

Let me know if car-pro winds up being better for all that. Total with free shipping is 219.95. With 15% off if that offer in my PM still stands it comes out to $187 ish. Thanks for your help!
I thought you were just getting the pads and wax from AG. Car Pro doesn't carry Menz or Sonax. I guess your best bet is getting it from AG. I had thought you got the Menz and pads from ADS. AG has such a board range of products it's hard to order from someone else sometimes. Best time to order is when they got good BOGO's and 20% with free shipping.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #63
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought you were just getting the pads and wax from AG. Car Pro doesn't carry Menz or Sonax. I guess your best bet is getting it from AG. I had thought you got the Menz and pads from ADS. AG has such a board range of products it's hard to order from someone else sometimes. Best time to order is when they got good BOGO's and 20% with free shipping.
Yea oddly enough the pads and stuff wound up being the cheapest at autoality or whatever its called. Menz surprisinlgy was also cheaper from AG with the 20% discount you posted on the first page since ADS shipping wasn't free
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #64
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So randomly went on autogeek and they were having free shipping until 10:30 so quickly placed my order before it ended. Wound up doing that with the 20% off code and it cost $175. I ordered the Sherbet Fizz since it was already in my cart and I didn't want to miss the deal by changing it. I did send them an email asking if they knew if one was better than the other though so i'd imagine I have time to email and swap it out if i'd like
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #65
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Decided to keep Sherbet Fizz. Anyways should be starting to use this stuff next week as long as everything gets here. Only thing i'm waiting on is power lock sealant since Autogeek was out of stock... Gonna email and see the ETA and maybe cancel and order it from someone else.

Once all this comes in i'll be posting pics and a little short review on all the products. Planning on using these on my car and my mom's cayenne whose paint is in pretty bad condition despite being only a year old. I think on her car i'll use just the power lock and mine i'll use the power lock with wax on top. I've been wondering myself which beads/sheets better so it will be a nice little comparison
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #66
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

let us know how we can assist you.

we have the Rupes as well as the Griots in stock.
Appreciate 0