E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > It's not just hot 3'ers and 1'ers....

08-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #45
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Carlos get it down to my mate Jason (Kerr! HOW ARE YOU !!! ) He can disable the OBD port.

Without giving the method away in public; he can leave you with use of the OBD port when required - it's not permanently disabled.

I'd get it done asap either from him or someone else because an E61 M5 would be extremely desirable given it's rarity..
      08-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #46
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

ps. I did obviously previously offer you some niceties via facebook message which you never replied to.. Offer may still be open. Drop me a pm if interested.

(Will. Yes it's exactly what you think).
      08-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #47
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Few posibilities how they opened the car without breaking the glass;

1- Local garage / somebody cloned / duplicated the key when it went for service.
2- As mentioned above, stick a film on the glass, break it and pieces of glass would go in the car and not out. Use blind spot for sensor to gain access to OBD port and car is gone.
3- As somebody mentioned that locksmith took less than 5 minutes to gain acces to car, that may be third possibility.

Out of these three options, whichever it is, car is gone.

I am thinking of relocating my OBD port and make a DIY on this.

If you reloate it to reasonable place, you do not have to disable OBD port.

As if they break the glass and OBD port is not there and then they try to enter in the car, alaram will turn on. So relocation of OBD ports is reasonable rather disabling it.
      08-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #48
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

So what we need is a "How To" on disabling or relocating the ODB port? Obviously dont give away the actual location of the ODB but wirings and whats involved would be good?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #49
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

How easy is it to get hold of a blank BMW key? Are they handed out willy nilly?
Surely just making this more difficult is enough to stop this crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #50
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Few posibilities how they opened the car without breaking the glass;

1- Local garage / somebody cloned / duplicated the key when it went for service.
2- As mentioned above, stick a film on the glass, break it and pieces of glass would go in the car and not out. Use blind spot for sensor to gain access to OBD port and car is gone.
3- As somebody mentioned that locksmith took less than 5 minutes to gain acces to car, that may be third possibility.

Out of these three options, whichever it is, car is gone.

I am thinking of relocating my OBD port and make a DIY on this.

If you reloate it to reasonable place, you do not have to disable OBD port.

As if they break the glass and OBD port is not there and then they try to enter in the car, alaram will turn on. So relocation of OBD ports is reasonable rather disabling it.

Thing is one method of getting into the car is by jamming the signal from the fob when locking the car. The driver assumes the car locked but the signal jammer prevented it. Thief has free access.

I'm thinking about getting the alarm upgraded to something a bit more sensitive to internal movement and specifically tuned to around the OBD area. What do you reckon?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #51
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
Thing is one method of getting into the car is by jamming the signal from the fob when locking the car. The driver assumes the car locked but the signal jammer prevented it. Thief has free access.
It has been suggested by someone who knows about such things that owners should double check the doors are locked once the remote is blipped ie don't just press the button as you're walking away and assume it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #52
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
It has been suggested by someone who knows about such things that owners should double check the doors are locked once the remote is blipped ie don't just press the button as you're walking away and assume it's all good.
That advice has been around for quite sometime for the general public actually...just Christmas gone people were reminded again of this as shopping was being stolen. Shopper would go back to their car to drop what shopping they had already bought and continue on shopping for more stuff...thinking they locked their car, they'd come back only to find a car void of their previous purchases...all their shopping gone to the thieving scum using signal blockers.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #53
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Tried the "check" it's locked as you walk off but IT DOES NOT work if you have comfort access as it just opens when you check.
      08-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #54
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Carlos get it down to my mate Jason (Kerr! HOW ARE YOU !!! ) He can disable the OBD port.

Without giving the method away in public; he can leave you with use of the OBD port when required - it's not permanently disabled.

I'd get it done asap either from him or someone else because an E61 M5 would be extremely desirable given it's rarity..
Your right mate, but surely it isn't like finding a needle in a haystack for the crims...

Also I got your FB message, I'll get back to you!
      08-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #55
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

The German way is to deny that there is a problem with anything they designed. It's why you never see recalls on german cars unless its a total death trap waiting to happen. Clever terms like goodwill and model enhancement are used instead.

BMW, Audi and Porsche are all having the same problems with cars getting nicked all over the place via the same methods. The trouble is that in an attempt to make them more secure they have done the opposite.

A key that has tiny microchip inside it that sends a signal to a computer built into your car would have sounded like some highly impressive Blade Runner type shit 20 years ago but when someone then tells you any scrote with a laptop, the right cable and a bit of software that you can probably get for free on carjacker.com/forum could nick your car without ever needing the key it suddenly becomes a bit scary.

The manufacturers will do nothing to rectify it on models that are already out there. It would cost too much and I bet that within a week some enterprising criminal would have cracked it. We all jumped for joy when the first remapper cracked the ECU in the LCI models. Any electronic security will never be any different from that, it's cat and mouse.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #56
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Other manufacturers who employ similar systems though need a chassis-derived PIN code to program the key that the dealer only provides to people with proper bona-fides, not some twat at 3am outside your house. Interestingly you need a 25-digit code from BMW to update the Sat Nav but nothing to program a dummy key.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #57
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

i still maintain that a steering lock is the best solution for detering would be theifs.

It takes more than a laptop, a cable, and a bit of software to get a stoplock off!! and unlike moving your OBD port, it doesnt need the thief to smash your window to find out your car will be hard to steal.

even if they did make an attempt at getting even a basic steering lock off, that would almost certainly trigger the alarm in no time, and that's the last thing they want.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #58
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I agree, Shrink, but it's annoying to have to resort to such a palaver.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #59
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

it is.. but at least it gives you much more peace of mind, and saves your window glass from ever being broken in the first place.

I dont have a full on disclock... I have a stoplock pro. Takes about 10 seconds to put on and secure, goes onto the Sport wheel easilly and causes no marks or damage. Its easilly viewable from any angle outside the car and the key for it stays on a seperate set of keys from my car ones. So even if they stole my actual key, they'd not have the means to get it off.

As i've always said... it's not fool proof. These things never will be, but OBD thefts are designed to be quiet and discrete. They don't want the alarm going off. So anything that means they'd need to get into the car and start cutting, is a huge no no.

Even better, the stoplock actually presses down on the horn. So even if they broke in quick enough to get the cloned key into the socket to turn the alarm off, the horn would just be blowing constantly at full blast until they got the stoplock off.

All in all, i sleep happy knowing its there
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #60
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Ive started to do this after 'his' guidance!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #61
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

that's the point I've been trying to make Shrink...you've done a much better job at it than I have!

'OBD thefts are designed to be quiet and discrete'

...so you're thinking a steering lock and I was thinking one of those alarms that start the intermittent beep if you're standing too close. Must admit the steering lock sounds simpler and cheaper. Going to google it now.

On a side note what are we as owners doing to raise the profile of this issue to a point where it embarrasses BMW into doing something about it. I've been contemplating what we could do as a united front for all the regions that post on here. Surely this forum is the place to get a worldwide motion going.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #62
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

you'd think theres enough members here to form the basis of a petition for re-call.

As many of us pay for BMW warranties and the hugely inflated costs of dealer servicing, I can't see how hard it would be to have them spend £30 of their time reprogramming the ODB. That said, at this stage, all that will accomplish is having your car not actually stolen (until someone figures out how to get around it). They will likely still break your glass and try to take it, as what thief is to know which cars have, and haven't been modified.

Any solution put in place by BMW, will likely be too easy to circumvent at this stage. I think the home-brew solutions are likely to be more effective.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #63
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
you'd think theres enough members here to form the basis of a petition for re-call.

As many of us pay for BMW warranties and the hugely inflated costs of dealer servicing, I can't see how hard it would be to have them spend £30 of their time reprogramming the ODB. That said, at this stage, all that will accomplish is having your car not actually stolen (until someone figures out how to get around it). They will likely still break your glass and try to take it, as what thief is to know which cars have, and haven't been modified.

Any solution put in place by BMW, will likely be too easy to circumvent at this stage. I think the home-brew solutions are likely to be more effective.
There is an 83 page thread running on Pistonheads specifically about this problem (OBD thefts),it's been running since March this yr.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...blank+BMW+keys

Countless people (from the thread above) have contacted BMW UK about the situation,and to date I've not read of one person who's received anything other than a fob off!

The sheer logistics/costs of doing a recall would be prohibitive,plus any admission by BMW of a problem/weakness in the security system would no doubt result in a flood of law suits against BMW.

I can't see BMW doing anything,if at all, any time soon

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #64
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

Have a look at the other threads - numerous copies of responses from BMW- none helpful.

The Cooks Ferry solution involves cutting the OBD - not advised if still in warranty.

The securemycar solution includes a Viper 5204 alarm with an extra immobiliser, all important OBD port immobilisation, upgraded dual motion sensor with an external warn away. Costs £585 fitted and I am still trying to establish if the OBD is spliced or is immobilised via the canbus.

So what is best a Disclock or a Stoplock pro

Think I might go for the extension and move option though not if it means dismantling half the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #65
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Other manufacturers who employ similar systems though need a chassis-derived PIN code to program the key that the dealer only provides to people with proper bona-fides, not some twat at 3am outside your house. Interestingly you need a 25-digit code from BMW to update the Sat Nav but nothing to program a dummy key.
Agreed, it's ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #66
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
The German way is to deny that there is a problem with anything they designed. It's why you never see recalls on german cars unless its a total death trap waiting to happen. Clever terms like goodwill and model enhancement are used instead.
100% agreed. That is german arrogant way of dealing with it.
I had Japanese car, and they admit + repair your car if there was issue with it.
There was a big fuss on brake recalls 2-3 years ago, and Toyota stood firm. They are still in market and in many countries, they are doing excellent bussiness.

I would request these stealers / hackers to go and take car of all top BMW management. Then they should look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post

I'm thinking about getting the alarm upgraded to something a bit more sensitive to internal movement and specifically tuned to around the OBD area. What do you reckon?
Ok few things to consider.
1- Movement sensor can be moved from the centre to driver side. I am sure it is not difficult. Remove the central lamp and get the motion sensor out. The problem which I see with it, is to fit at the top of driver seat. Cosmetically, not good though but should work as it will cover blind spot on driver side now. Howeve it will leave blind spot on passenger seat. Robbers can't get access from that side for OBD.

2- If you code the car and increase sensitivity of tilt sensors then you may drain your battery by triggering it even with tiny movement especially when it rains and your alarm is triggered. Somebody in states tried it and found his bettery dead next morning. Apparently it was pouring that night and his alarm kept turning on due to increased tilt sensor coding.

3- Relocate your OBD port.

4- If you are extra concious, buy two OBD cables. You change the arrangement on both of them. Lets say, pin 3 to pin 7 on first cable and on second, reverse it.
Now fit the first extension cable in your car. If somebody locates OBD port, it will not work, unless you use second cable to reverse the pins allocation.

If you are advance DIYer, then you can have one cable and add on and off switch to most important pin. But you have to strip the cable in order to do it. Not a neat solution though.

5- I would suggest all of your to get your alarm coded with locking / unlocking your car. I found it very useful when I park my car, and when walking away from my car, I only rely on locking / unlocking beep.

If somebody with jammer is there and signals are jammed, you will not hear acoustic beep and you will instantly know about it. Move your car out of that area.

6- People say modding help others to take your car. I don't agree. And if you have something unique (not M badges on front grill though ) on your car, your car will be noticed more. It will not stop those people to take your car away, but will help police / public to locate your car if you have couple of things unique.